Thoughts From The Scrimmage

SUMG

I haven't had the chance to get out there and watch any of the practice sessions. I have however watched some Big Ten Tour on the Big Ten Network. Oddly fascinating. Its kinda like when the NFLN came out and showed the combine stuff. Today I watched like 35 minutes of Mich St's scrimmages and drills.

Hopefully we look as good as they did

Anyone else catch this stuff?

I haven't had the chance to get out there and watch any of the practice sessions. I have however watched some Big Ten Tour on the Big Ten Network. Oddly fascinating. Its kinda like when the NFLN came out and showed the combine stuff. Today I watched like 35 minutes of Mich St's scrimmages and drills.

Hopefully we look as good as they did

Anyone else catch this stuff?

Watched the Ohio State drills and realized how much I really miss football.

Less than 3 weeks away and I can see how some of you all have forgotten how completely whipped we were the last two years. I feel like such a Mean Green humbug for saying all this, but the offense - while there has been a lot to gripe about - has not been even close to the source of our problems.

Based on what I've been reading, those problems still linger. The only positive I can muster regarding our defense is it seemed to look like it was building an identity the last three games in 2008. I hope it continues and starts to reflect on the scoreboard in 2009. To revisit:

Absolutely correct. I kept asking everyone around me on saturday "Why are y'all cheering for the O?".

If our defense can't stop anyone it will be a nother long season. With that in mind, I think this is one of our deepest and largest D lines in many years. They certianly have the size to compete. Also, I'm not entirely convinced the defense is all that much behind the Offense at this point, as the QB's were playing saturday knowing they were not going to get hit, plus it didn't look like our D was not doing much stunting and blitzing.

The Ball State game will be our first real look at what we have on defense which is why I plan on being there to see it live.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Really unusual for the off. to look so much better than the def. during two a-days. Usually the other way around. However, who knows if the the def. was playing down and distance situational def. or just working on base def. I would bet alot of def. schemes were not employed yesterday.QB's amd RB's were impressive, therefore tje off. line must have done a good job also.I still think Micah will be the big surprise of the season.

The last time I recall the offense looking so much better than the defense in fall camp was 2004. We then promptly lost our first game to UT like 65-0, but finished 7-5 and had our last trip to the Bowl. I'm sure we will score more points this season than last; just not sure if we can stop anyone...again. <_<

Edited by NT80

good to know. how did it look?

I was not at the practice. I read the practice blog on the Gang Green Inside the Iron. They listed the starting Punt Returner as Royce Hill for the Ball State game and also said that Jamel Jackson saw action at Punt Returner in the practice. For Kickoff Returns Dawaylon Cook and Darius Carey were mentioned as seeing action at the practice. Cook did take one to the house. From what I saw of Carey at the Saturday scrimmage as a Wide Receiver he has potential to be an exciting Kick Returner.