From the main forum page, this topic reads: Pentagon to Ban eulesseagle.

Tease.

We can only hope the Joint Chiefs would have this much sense.

CBL, since you are the resident expert on being banned from the board perhaps you can inform all of why you got banned.......it was your racist remarks was it not?

Ouch. Swing and a miss. Understandable though. CBL, GreenP1, Tasty, and Quoner all look the same to you, right?

http://hotair.com/archives/2009/07/10/pent...an-tobacco-use/

Well no more pics of soldiers/sailors taking a puff after a long day fighting the enemy.

Question: Now what do you give a GI when he has been shot?? granola bar? an MRE latte'?

Hey, we've long been a nation prone to impose its priggish mores on men being sent to the battlefield. The amendment to ban alcohol had been passed by Congress (over the veto of then President Wilson) before we sent our fighting men to Europe and the War to End All Wars. This was at a time when there were miserable conditions being endured by those in the trenches, and while British military men were still being issued their daily ration of grog. They might as well get a good toot when they were being led by idiotic senior officers who would have them leave said trenches time and again just to be mowed down by machine guns and other modern weaponry made available to the medievally minded military leadership. Hey, read about it in books like "11-11-18", which provided a sad story about senior officers pushing their men to continue fighting for positions which had already been determined by the scheduled end of hostilities on that day. Sorry, no last shot of rum for you, GI.

Actually, this could lead to other, long dormant debates over the influence that marijuana had during the war in Viet Nam. I did not serve there, but was in the Army in the early seventies when our training instructors were Nam returnees. Yes, many American soldiers smoked marijuana, and we lost; however, the Communist fighters also smoked marijuana and they won. I'm not an advocate of the drugs which are now illegal, especially those such as meth, cocaince, and the opium based products. However, I still wonder at the morally based arguments around the use of such substances when, during war, our main objective is still to kill, capture, or destroy the enemy, and those far from the battlefield can still get in high dudgeon over the morality of various recreational substances being consumed by those facing death every day. All this morality is hard to take at times from a military that used to provide 4-packs of cigarettes in its k-rations.

Sorry, I've rambled on so long over this. For now anyway, smoke 'em if you've got 'em!

CBL, since you are the resident expert on being banned from the board perhaps you can inform all of why you got banned.......it was your racist remarks was it not?

You do realize he was just pointing out how it reads from the main GMG page if you were the last to reply, and the irony of it. Not an attack at all really, relax that trigger finger a little.

If I remember right CBL was not on the ban list with our top three contenders.

One can infer from the above, eulesseagle, that those who actually WERE banned were making racist remarks. I was too late in viewing the thread that resulted in the ban to actually read any of it, but am willing to accept that it was interpreted as racist by some, but really satire. I do know two of those banned, Tasty and Quoner, and I assure you, neither of those men are racists!

Dwayne Taylor

Can the same be said about your fellow Eulessite?

I'll leave that question to someone who knows him personally. You can learn more about someone from meeting them one on one than through internet forums. I have spent time with Tasty and Quoner, and I know they are not racists.

Edited by eulessismore

I'll leave that question to someone who knows him personally. You can learn more about someone from meeting them one on one than through internet forums. I have spent time with Tasty and Quoner, and I know they are not racists.

Maybe - but to be fair, you aren't Haitian. Those guys get to me.

Seriously, thanks for the character vouch - and I still feel bad about that time I confused you with your fellow Eulessian.

Hey, we've long been a nation prone to impose its priggish mores on men being sent to the battlefield. The amendment to ban alcohol had been passed by Congress (over the veto of then President Wilson) before we sent our fighting men to Europe and the War to End All Wars. This was at a time when there were miserable conditions being endured by those in the trenches, and while British military men were still being issued their daily ration of grog. They might as well get a good toot when they were being led by idiotic senior officers who would have them leave said trenches time and again just to be mowed down by machine guns and other modern weaponry made available to the medievally minded military leadership. Hey, read about it in books like "11-11-18", which provided a sad story about senior officers pushing their men to continue fighting for positions which had already been determined by the scheduled end of hostilities on that day. Sorry, no last shot of rum for you, GI.

Actually, this could lead to other, long dormant debates over the influence that marijuana had during the war in Viet Nam. I did not serve there, but was in the Army in the early seventies when our training instructors were Nam returnees. Yes, many American soldiers smoked marijuana, and we lost; however, the Communist fighters also smoked marijuana and they won. I'm not an advocate of the drugs which are now illegal, especially those such as meth, cocaince, and the opium based products. However, I still wonder at the morally based arguments around the use of such substances when, during war, our main objective is still to kill, capture, or destroy the enemy, and those far from the battlefield can still get in high dudgeon over the morality of various recreational substances being consumed by those facing death every day. All this morality is hard to take at times from a military that used to provide 4-packs of cigarettes in its k-rations.

Sorry, I've rambled on so long over this. For now anyway, smoke 'em if you've got 'em!

I wish that I had more time to reply to this. But it hit home and is a very important view of the original topic.

Euless. I appreciate your thougts. I wish I had more time to reply

Regarding the article (not to overshadow the high-jacking, enlightening comments above), I think it is fine to ban smoking on military bases and equipment. If you smoke and are a property of the US Govt (however screwy they may be), do it on your own time and away from govt property. No worries there.

IMHO I really do not think that anyone on this board is a racist. Personally, I would assume that everyone would like to wipe the slate clean and begin anew. 'nuf said. agree??

ee

The difference is you care what we think a lot more than we care what we think. Some here see me as diabolical, clown-painted, demon-spawn sent to confuse old men posting about 4.4 speed and sunshine smiles...and I am okay with that.

Really, the whole issue would have died a long time ago if you stopped saying anything that comes across racist. It's almost become a game - probably because it's latent and not overt.

The difference is you care what we think a lot more than we care what we think. Some here see me as diabolical, clown-painted, demon-spawn sent to confuse old men posting about 4.4 speed and sunshine smiles...and I am okay with that.

Really, the whole issue would have died a long time ago if you stopped saying anything that comes across racist. It's almost become a game - probably because it's latent and not overt.

What to do with ee?

This appears to have been decided against by the Department of Defense. I don't like tobacco; used to smoke it, and while I was in the Army. But, I agree with the opponents of the original proposal: military personnel are giving up enough, dealing with enough stress, and deprived of what many of the rest of us take for granted every day to have an otherwise legal activity taken away from them.

Pentagon is dropping anti-smoking proposal