Any Of These Guys Will Do

Not totally disagreeing at all. I just still don't see why if what you have said were true, why hasn't it taken hold here. I am of the mind, like you, that this would be a great opportunity. The only problem is that the alumnae, admin, and coach have to be on the same page at the same time. That has not ever been the case here, so if we are to be an incubator if you will, then we need all three of these lamps to put out equal heat. By the way, Schnelly was nothing but a drunk at OU, don't think that would not have been used against him in our region no matter who he was the coach for. That is why he took a job in Florida, people were not beating down the door, Atlantic were the only ones who wanted him. As for Coker, there has got to be some reason why is pursuer of jobs and not the pursuee. He won the national champ, but had lots of off the field issues. Well, he already has some experience for the job here (LOL). There have been other jobs that would have been much better for somebody to prove themselves, and I never saw him considered. And, I agree with you about Dickey, but he did make the best of things here for a few years (though he was bitching and screaming the whole time), but still he did. I guess we can agree that an above average coordinator from a successful mid major might take this job to prove himself. But not a top 25 to 30 program coordinator, sorry but Veneables from OU, for example, is not going to take that kind of pay cut. I think you know that. The fee is great, and though money should not be used as an excuse as you say, but to consistently be successful you have it to raise the bar. Most victories without it take place in the movies (i.e. Rocky 1). I will say that there have been more strides in your 10 years as a fan/supporter then there were in the previous 20, so I can both see and respect your perspective. Thanks for the reply and your insight. Have a good one!

BINGO!

Anyone who takes the job of coaching at North Texas has to understand the culture of "football is little more than a club sport" attitude that has exsisted for most of the history of our school. Yes, we had success in the late 40's and Fouts was built in the early 50's, and that would seem to indicate that the administration cared about furthuring the program. But as we have pointed out many times, Fouts is more of a track stadium than a football facility.

We didn't start a Mean Green Club until Hayden Fry came here...and he started it. I'm told by knowledgable alumni that up until that point, that sort of fund raising organization was discouraged by Dr. Matthews,...... and for that matter Odus Mitchell. I'm told that during our successful run in the 60's (66,67,68,69), this issue was brought up by alumni who wanted us to move up to the next level. They were told no. It took Hayden Fry and Jitter Nolan to change that, and I'd be willing to bet that they were met with a lot of resistance by all the "old nesters" at North Texas who were of the same mind-set as Dr. Matthews. I'm guessing that Hayden Fry got as much resistance to moving us up in stature from the inside as the outside.

When Hayden Fry left, we hired Jerry Moore instead of hiring Bill Brasher. Bill Brasher would have provided the program with some stability.

After Jerry Moore was hired away from us we hired Bob Tyler, who because of his NCAA violations at another school (and I suppose other reasons) turned out to be a huge disaster.

We then hired Corky Nelson, whom we should have hired instead of Bob Tyler. Corky did every thing that he was asked to do... and probably much more. He won as many games as he could have with the very limited resources that he was given (the Matthews mind-set people were back in charge).

Coach Parker was hired by a committee....and it showed.

Matt Simon was a pretty good hire, but he didn't keep quiet about his lack of resources, so he was fired.

I believe that Coach Dickey was hired because the then AD (Helwig) didn't want to go to any trouble interviewing people. I don't think that Coach Dickey had any idea about what he was getting himself into. The last coach that came here with his eyes wide open was Corkey Nelson. And that was because he had served as the DL coach under Rod Rust.

We have never been in a position to have (administratively) all our ducks in a row here. And after the last two years, I don't know if we ever will.

I believe that the only way we will ever be successful is to get the next Coach Fran, Coach Bailiff etc ON THEIR WAY UP. When each leaves (hired away from us), we hire the next guy that matches the previous coach's personality and energy.

It isn't rocket science, but some people seem to think it is.

Anyone who takes the job of coaching at North Texas has to understand the culture of "football is little more than a club sport" attitude that has exsisted for most of the history of our school.]

To ask anyone that is wanting to really win--not just get a bigger paycheck from their previous job (i.e, Parker, Simon, Dickey, and Dodge)--with a "club sport" view of football is damn near impossible. No major Division I-A coordinator would even look here because of the pay cut and a successful head coach from FCS would probably just politely decline and look somewhere else. When the job was open last time, I guess the two names that it came down to were Dodge ad Harbaugh. Harbaugh coached at the D-II level and that may be where we have to try and go (i.e., Don Carthel) to get someone who can relate to the atmosphere around here and how to improve it going forward.

Anyone who takes the job of coaching at North Texas has to understand the culture of "football is little more than a club sport" attitude that has exsisted for most of the history of our school.]

To ask anyone that is wanting to really win--not just get a bigger paycheck from their previous job (i.e, Parker, Simon, Dickey, and Dodge)--with a "club sport" view of football is damn near impossible. No major Division I-A coordinator would even look here because of the pay cut and a successful head coach from FCS would probably just politely decline and look somewhere else. When the job was open last time, I guess the two names that it came down to were Dodge ad Harbaugh. Harbaugh coached at the D-II level and that may be where we have to try and go (i.e., Don Carthel) to get someone who can relate to the atmosphere around here and how to improve it going forward.

BINGO AGAIN! There is absolutely none of the assistants that are listed at the beginning of this thread that would take the kind of pay cut, and career risk, that taking the head ccoaching job here entails.

Someone on their way up, or in the case of Carthel, someone who is trying to make a big splash toward the end of their career (kind of like Snelly at FAU) is the ideal candidate. If it had been me, I would have interviewed Carthel and the coach at Abilene Christian, and ask them to honestly assess our program, and come up with a viable plan to move the program forward. The one with the most realistic and positive plan would get the job.

Edited by SilverEagle

BINGO AGAIN! There is absolutely none of the assistants that are listed at the beginning of this thread that would take the kind of pay cut, and career risk, that taking the head ccoaching job here entails.

Someone on their way up, or in the case of Carthel, someone who is trying to make a big splash toward the end of their career (kind of like Shelly at FAU) is the ideal candidate. If it had been me, I would have interviewed Carthel and the coach at Abilene Christian, and ask them to honestly assess our program, and come up with a viable plan to move the program forward. The one with the most realistic and positive plan would get the job.

That would have taken an Athletic Director, who had vision and really cared about making NT a successful Div. I program and not a person, who is giving jobs to cronies and drawing a paycheck.