Special Teams

TheColonyEagle

Guest GrayEagleOne

We have to have the worst special teams coverage in the country and very close to the worst return teams. We were bad last year as well. When do we get a special teams coach/coordinator?

We have to have the worst special teams coverage in the country and very close to the worst return teams. We were bad last year as well. When do we get a special teams coach/coordinator?

Who does the special teams coaching now?

That had to be the easiest punt return for a TD I've ever seen.

I know he's a talented returner but it's been like that all year. Time after time, bad field position for us, good field position for them.

Will they address that situation?

Geez.

How about the kick-off return where the place kicker didn't even try to wrap the guy up? The coaches need to get all over this group.

I agree. Teams who have outstanding special teams play, like K-State, have an individual whose only responsibility is that of special teams coordinator.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I agree. Teams who have outstanding special teams play, like K-State, have an individual whose only responsibility is that of special teams coordinator.

Since I know that nothing will be done in the way of replacing a coach why not give graduate assistant Scott Vestal a shot? Jeff Rodgers was once a graduate assistant with us and I believe Arizona and he's doing a good job at Kansas State.

Deloach, if I remember correctly, coached special teams at UCLA. UNT needs to put its absolute best athletes on the field to cover punts and kick offs. I think we are leaving some talent on the sideline.

Freshman DBs are having trouble making open field tackles. The speed of the game is just too much for some of them. They are also just not strong enough.

Edited by Dodge2007

Deloach, if I remember correctly, coached special teams at UCLA. UNT needs to put its absolute best athletes on the field to cover punts and kick offs. I think we are leaving some talent on the sideline.

Freshman DBs are having trouble making open field tackles. The speed of the game is just too much for some of them. They are also just not strong enough.

DeLoach spent one year working Special Teams at UCLA, his last season there before coming home.

Drake getting canned is long over due. There as been a sharp drop off from the Eric Russell coached special teams. Remember when we used to block four or five punts a year. That was coaching not coincidence. Drake is not ready for this level.

Drake getting canned is long over due. There as been a sharp drop off from the Eric Russell coached special teams. Remember when we used to block four or five punts a year. That was coaching not coincidence. Drake is not ready for this level.

You can not block punts or extra points when you don't rush the kicker. UNT just stands in place. Drake is not the only coach that needs replace look at what Ford does

You can not block punts or extra points when you don't rush the kicker. UNT just stands in place. Drake is not the only coach that needs replace look at what Ford does

Just curious, what does Ford do? I kind of think of TD as the OC, so I guess I think of Ford as the assistant to the OC. I honestly don't know the details of what he does so I'm not really criticizing him, but it sounds like a creampuff job which doesn't require a whole lot of creativity or accountability. Anyone know personally?