Ranking Tx Football Teams

JesseMartin

It's an early start for this, but as things get rolling I'd like to see peoples' take on this from different schools, so I'm posting it on the 3 DFW schools' pages. I think it could be interesting to see how close or different our thoughts are.

Unless an FCS/D2/D3 team does something amazing, let's please stick to FBS/D1A (if you guys are even interested in this). I'll go first.

1) UT. Again. Likely overrated as in times past, but for now they look pretty good.

2) TTU. Crazy good offense. Billed to blow away a lot of the competition. Considering last season, very likely. Hometown smells like poo.

3) TCU. Building on a lot of recent success. Too many recent let-downs to put higher than #3.

4) Houston. Another wildly successful offense over the past few years. Another city that smells like a turd.

5) Rice. Very strangely successful lately. See #2 and #4.

6) UTEP. Not as hot as when Mike Price showed up, but might still surprise people.

7) TAMU. Lost to ASU. New coach might get things going throughout the season but that loss definitely hurts their chances of anything, as well as their pride. Strange obsession with grass.

8-9) SMU/Baylor. New coaches, bad losses in week one. Might turn a corner early and have a good season, might not. I'm morbidly curious about it. Waco has fun weird stuff to visit, though. And there's a Houston's by SMU, yum.

10) North Texas. Very exciting for a 2-10 season. Hoping for usefulness from new (old) DC. 7-5 if everything goes right. Little to no improvement otherwise. I'd put us above SMU and Baylor if we'd done better against KSU, but right now we don't get a "pass" for having a new coach like we did last year.

Did I miss anyone?

Edit: Forgot...TX game of the week! I expect most of the TX teams to win, and the only TX v. TX game is a very likely UT over UTEP. UNT v. Tulsa is a likely cluster-you-know-what. Sooo...my vote is Rice v. Memphis as the most exciting (?) game for Texans overall.

Edited by JesseMartin

How does UTEP remain above TAMU, SMU, and Baylor when they had their asses handed to them by Buffalo?

I'm anxious to see how Buffalo plays out. I don't believe this is the same Bulls team that ranked the in the bottom 5 for years.

Turner Gill was a finalist last year for the Nebraska job, and seems to have something rolling up there.

ha, as funny as it is for me to see A&M below UTEP, I firmly believe A&M could "handle" the Miners just in size alone.

1) Texas

2) TCU - stomped a decent UNM team. Has a chance to claim the #2 spot outright with an improbable but appreciated 'W' over OU.

2b) Texas Tech - Im not yet convinced this defense is all that impressive. Contenders don't give up 24 points to 1AA schools.

4) Houston - defense should be a surprise for a lot of teams this year

5) A&M - a win at UNM would help them hold down the 5 spot

6) Rice - this is as good a team as they've had in a while and they will still get rocked by Texas

7) Baylor - Briles had a rough first game against a strong defense.

8) UTEP - they have to be better than SMU and UNT, right?

9) THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS! WOOOT! Not the worst!

10) SMU - I think Jones will get it going sooner than later, but I think they'll have growing pains like our first year under Dodge

1) Texas

2) TCU - stomped a decent UNM team. Has a chance to claim the #2 spot outright with an improbable but appreciated 'W' over OU.

2b) Texas Tech - Im not yet convinced this defense is all that impressive. Contenders don't give up 24 points to 1AA schools.

4) Houston - defense should be a surprise for a lot of teams this year

5) A&M - a win at UNM would help them hold down the 5 spot

6) Rice - this is as good a team as they've had in a while and they will still get rocked by Texas

7) Baylor - Briles had a rough first game against a strong defense.

8) UTEP - they have to be better than SMU and UNT, right?

9) THE UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS! WOOOT! Not the worst!

10) SMU - I think Jones will get it going sooner than later, but I think they'll have growing pains like our first year under Dodge

I pretty much agree with this, although I'm not sure what the point of this thread is. ;)

I believe aNm will beat UNM this week. They have to, or Ag-land might come totally unglued. Agree with the take on Tech, as well. Fools gold. Rice is a darn good team--for Rice. UTEP...don't know what's going on over there. They can't be that bad, can they? UNT will show up this week against a closer match in personnel.