For Eagle37

FirefightnRick

To eagl37,

In reference to this thread, I just wanted to let you know that many of us were there and still remember, and also that MOST of us still respect the accomplishments you and the rest of our guys earned back then during the '80's. As one of the poorest-funded 1-AA programs in Texas at the time, this was one of several very memorable wins for the Mean Green. By the way, for those who won't know, that's Steve "Stone Cold" Austin recovering the ball on the front of the Telegram's Sports page. Thanks to Silver, I actually have the original article in the FFR Archives, but it seems to have grown legs and walked off somewhere in my collection, so I went and retrieved a copy.

ntvstcu865_383x500.jpg

ntvstcu866_326x500.jpg

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Thanks Rick for the props. It will be twenty years this season that we had probably the best team (debatable by some I'm sure) since some of the Hayden Frye teams. During the time I played we beat TCU, Tech, Rice and UT (you know the story). Since then it always seems that these teams dont want anything to do with us.

Everyone keeps wanting to play more Texas D1 teams and I agree, but I dont think these schools want to start playing other schools in Texas, because of recruiting. If North Texas had a non-conference schedule with Rice, Houston, TCU and SMU; for the fans that would be a dream come true, but for the schools that would be very risky, because if UNT could be successful with the schedule meaning that if we would come out of that schedule with a 2-2 or even 3-1 record our recruiting would go up and we would end up probably winning over a lot more recruites that were targeted at those schools. Even on the flip side we could lose a lot of recruits that we had targeted.

I believe that this is why there is not a lot of interest in Texas schools playing each other.

I've always been a bit resentful about that ST headline, even though I know they are the home town paper for TCU. TCU did not give away all those fumbles, the NT defense knocked the dog s**t out of TCU and they let go of the ball.....eight times. The funny thing is that Coach Wacker warned everyone on his television show that the game would be a real hard hitting game.......I guess his team didn't listen.

Not to detract from such a badass team, but I agree to a point with Eagle..though we still play some of them sometimes, I don't even remember how many times I've said, "Wow, why couldn't we have played Team X THIS year?" If we played them all more regularly, we'd have a better chance at one of our good years coinciding with one of their bad ones. And I don't think any of them wants wittle ole us to get that opportunity again.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but it has occured to me that this year is the 25th anniversary of our first Southland conference championship. It's also the 25th anniversary of my graduation from NT in December, so the two events are intertwined for me.

Has anyone heard of plans by the Athletic Department to honor that team, and Corky Nelson?

Hadn't heard of anything on a reunion or the athletic department plans for the '88 team. I will put in my vote for Corky's face on Mount Rushmore, though. Last year I saw a lot of guys that played on the Corky Nelson's teams at the Lettermen's tent before each game. There a lot of support from those teams for Dodge and this team.