Ode To Campus

CMJ

I have been giving myself a walking a tour of campus for the last few hours. The new buildings that I have seen(I haven't gotten to the additions on the golf course) are great additions. It's great to walk down North Texas Blvd and take a left thru the maze of new structures. The last time I was in town was just acouple of years ago and I'm almost lost in some areas. Everywthing blends well with the more aged buildings nearby. The waterfall by Willis as well as the reflecting pools are beautiful. I can see an effort was really made to put alot of benches everywhere - as there were many in places I don't remember them just a few short years ago.

As far as the stuff that has been here awhile. I always remember NT being beautiful - but I'm not really sure I appreciated it while I was here. It's so wonderful and peaceful. And good lord there are alot of trees! I've been to many campuses on the west coast - and each is beautiful in it's own way, but I don't think any of them has the amount of nature mixed in among the walkways and buildings that we do. I also took for granted strolling between all the music buildings and being serenaded with all manor of great music. And the way the symmetry of campus is revealed on foot, as you go block by block, is almost surprising. It's almost as if I never noticed how everything seamed so well together.

Perhaps it's because I don't come this way very often anymore. Maybe I couldn't see everything because I stared at it everyday. All the students reading this...and hell...even the alums that see it often because you live in DFW - appreciate what you get to expereince on an everyday basis.

(I could also write an ode to Denton - but I don't want to make this a Plumm sized post)

Edited by CMJ

Perhaps it's because I don't come this way very often anymore. Maybe I couldn't see everything because I stared at it everyday. All the students reading this...and hell...even the alums that see it often because you live in DFW - appreciate what you get to expereince on an everyday basis.

Perhaps it's because we had other things on our minds... the time until our next class from the dorms (Clark) to the language or science buildings over by Fry St. that was a freaking 15 minute hike done at high walking speeds, none of this lazy pace walking where we can look around at the beautiful scenary. ;)

Perhaps it's because we had other things on our minds... the time until our next class from the dorms (Clark) to the language or science buildings over by Fry St. that was a freaking 15 minute hike done at high walking speeds, none of this lazy pace walking where we can look around at the beautiful scenary. ;)

:lol:

Blah, blah

:)

I have been giving myself a walking a tour of campus for the last few hours. The new buildings that I have seen(I haven't gotten to the additions on the golf course) are great additions. It's great to walk down North Texas Blvd and take a left thru the maze of new structures. The last time I was in town was just acouple of years ago and I'm almost lost in some areas. Everywthing blends well with the more aged buildings nearby. The waterfall by Willis as well as the reflecting pools are beautiful. I can see an effort was really made to put alot of benches everywhere - as there were many in places I don't remember them just a few short years ago.

As far as the stuff that has been here awhile. I always remember NT being beautiful - but I'm not really sure I appreciated it while I was here. It's so wonderful and peaceful. And good lord there are alot of trees! I've been to many campuses on the west coast - and each is beautiful in it's own way, but I don't think any of them has the amount of nature mixed in among the walkways and buildings that we do. I also took for granted strolling between all the music buildings and being serenaded with all manor of great music. And the way the symmetry of campus is revealed on foot, as you go block by block, is almost surprising. It's almost as if I never noticed how everything seamed so well together.

(I could also write an ode to Denton - but I don't want to make this a Plumm sized post)

I'm glad you said these things. I had lived in the Dallas area for a couple of years before I had some reason to visit Denton. I drove through the campus and fell in love with it. The first time I saw the eagle statue outside the Union at night, I knew this was a good place to be. The recent buildings do fit in well with the older ones. It's interesting to look at the old photos and campus maps to see how things have changed without any jarring views. Nicely done all around. And the fountain outside Willis is wonderful.

I flew up from Raleigh to watch the Navy and Cameron games (awesome experiences, by the way), and was amazed at some of the changes at the NT campus. My best friend came to both games with me, and when we left the Super Pit he asked me which way should we walk to get back to his truck. Honestly, I had no idea...I was lost! Granted, it was extremely dark out, but the campus just looked SO different to me.

Anyway, I went by and walked around both the campus and the Athletic Village. Reall some phenomenal changes have taken place in the past several years. I enjoyed the Hall of Fame at the Athletic Village; the permanent posters afixed to the walls of Hayden Fry, Patrick Cobbs, Abner Haynes, et al was really neat.

Yes, we do have much to be thankful for and should not take any of it for granted...