Dodge Talked About The Defense

flyeater

Is there anything to read into this? I admire the way TD handled himself in this interview, though don't totally agree with him holding RM back.

I read into this that Dodge is throwing his defensive players under the bus and not making his DC accountable. Doesn't it bother any of you that Dodge would put his defensive players who are young people and just played and lost in front of the press and not put his DC who is the adult and gets paid to coach out in front of the press to answer the hard questions? It bothers me.

Is there anything to read into this? I admire the way TD handled himself in this interview, though don't totally agree with him holding RM back.

I read into this that Dodge is throwing his defensive players under the bus and not making his DC accountable. Doesn't it bother any of you that Dodge would put his defensive players who are young people and just played and lost in front of the press and not put his DC who is the adult and gets paid to coach out in front of the press to answer the hard questions? It bothers me.

Comes off to me as the players are more mature than their ego-driven coach, he slinks into a corner on bad days and puffs his chest out to critical fans when his team has a half-way decent showing. It is disturbing though that Dodge would do it this way.

Anyone who has coached knows the emotions and feelings running through your system after a loss or when your specific unit cost the team a chance at victory. It's an absolutely sickening feeling! Mendoza is an emotional guy who shows a lot of fire, and I am sure Dodge thought with what has been going on lately with the racist rumors and what not that he had better not let Coach Mendoza answer the media because he could possibly blow a gasket. I'm not saying Coach Mendoza couldn't handle it, it's just a precautionary measure by TD like after Vizza's first game he was made unavailable for comment.

Comes off to me as the players are more mature than their ego-driven coach, he slinks into a corner on bad days and puffs his chest out to critical fans when his team has a half-way decent showing. It is disturbing though that Dodge would do it this way.

I didn't read that into it. It read to me like he wants to see exactly what happened before he makes any judgements. One thing though: You can't "anticipate" with the option. Each player has to play an assignment, and then execute it. If they don't--or they "anticipate"--then the option will eat a defense alive.

Anyone who has coached knows the emotions and feelings running through your system after a loss or when your specific unit cost the team a chance at victory. It's an absolutely sickening feeling! Mendoza is an emotional guy who shows a lot of fire,

Okay. I understand now. The adults who haven't played can go to the locker room and lick their wounds while the players who have played their hearts out and have these same emotions and feelings especially that sickening feeling have to sit in front of the press and answer the hard questions. As someone said earlier in this post it shows the maturity of the players to sit in front of the press and answer the hard questions after a loss while the adult coaches who get paid get to go hide in the locker room because they're emotional with a lot of fire. Might help the defense if Mendoza could motivate his players to have some of his fire and emotion.

Vizza wasn't thrown the press wolves after his first game. Oh, that's right, Vizza is Dodge's boy.

[quote name='moffat' date= Vizza wasn't thrown the press wolves after his first game. Oh, that's right, Vizza is Dodge's boy.

. In fact, might some of his early committs already give those who can read with those good UNT educations a rather big clue, Oh, BTW, one of those early recruits is a Texas State Top 100 QB.

I seem to remember that some of the recruits over the past 4 years have been on the Top 100 Texas recruits lists as well. My how quickly some forget.

. To some of you who don't have the ear or "first name basis" of this present UNT coaching staff, get over it and just join the rest of us fans, OK?

Are you on a first name basis or have the ear of the present UNT coaching staff? If so, you might want to have a talk with them about taking this defense from being ranked in the 60s last year to the bottom of the heap this year.

Oh, and once again, we come around to the education card. Again, I say, education is the key. Some of you might remember that these football players are going to be UNT alum. The way some of you talk about them, (cancers to be cut out comes to mind) if I were them I am not sure Iwould want to be associated in the alum group with some of you. I have said it in another post, once these players graduate, go out into the world and become contributing adults to society, you are going to want them to come back as proud alum and contribute to UNT. They have provided you with hours of entertainment on Saturday and you never disappoint the day after the game with bashing them because they didn't live up to your expectations. Well, guess what, it isn't about you!!!!

I haven't watched football at UNT as long as some of you but I have learned there are two types of fans at UNT and I know there are those who think it is all about them and there are those fans who come to the games, support the team win or lose and appreciate the student athletes for being there and providing sports entertainment.

I haven't watched football at UNT as long as some of you but I have learned there are two types of fans at UNT and I know there are those who think it is all about them and there are those fans who come to the games, support the team win or lose and appreciate the student athletes for being there and providing sports entertainment.

Lest we all forget, we're on the same side here, it's just we all seem to have different ways we see this program reaching the pinnacle of where we should have been long ago truth be known. Moffat, put yoursef in some of us older fart's shoes, we feel like we've been wandering thru the wilderness for so damn long now with a program that could best be described as a roller coaster (if you will).

BUT...........I don't think I ever read much on this board (thank God) when it comes to calling out our players individually, though, since all that seems to be pointed toward our D.C. of late. :rolleyes:

The part I just don't get this year in MG Country and on GoMeanGreen.com is why a first year coaching staff is not being given the so-called benefit of the doubt, ie, the same time to make first year mistakes like every past UNT coaching regime we had seemed to always get. I will not post DD's first 4-5 seasons in Denton, most of you know it (most of us lived it), but many of these threads have those who most always subtlely compare a first year coaching staff's record to the the most recent coach's era, yet at the same time, they seemed to have forgotten how slow it took that train to finally take off and leave the station.

If you post on this board, you open yourselves up to criticim whether it be fair or not, but that comes with the territory of having HSO's. If one doesn't have the "galls" (what Gordon Keith of 1310 The Ticket would call them) to express ones opinions about their alma mater and what they perceive could improve a segment of our school, then they should steer themselves far away from GoMeanGreen or they might just get their feelings hurt...........but as far as the question of fairness is concerned, who the hell ever said life was going to be fair in the first place? Actually, 'm still waiting to hit on the lottery, the Publishing Clearing House (Ed McMahon?)Sweepstakes or whatever special windfall may come my way, but you know what, none of that might not ever happen--but if it did, knowing me as I think I do :rolleyes: , UNT would benefit from such.

As some of my fellow older nestors, I, too, have paid a few dues sticking with this program while most of my graduating class (circa, 1976) seemed to have disappeared long ago.

It's not easy being green to quote the title from the show on Robert Redford's Sundance Channel, but would any of us trade all the time we've spent with all this as we ((IMHO) stand on the edge of what could be our best times (ever) ahead of us? Not me, and as long as health allows, I'm in for the long term just like I know most of you who might still be reading this epistle are as well.

Now, what the hell were we talking about in the first place? :huh:

Mean Green & Proud of It!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Okay. I understand now. The adults who haven't played can go to the locker room and lick their wounds while the players who have played their hearts out and have these same emotions and feelings especially that sickening feeling have to sit in front of the press and answer the hard questions.

It seems like that to me, too. Why put the players out there and let the coaches hide from scrutiny? But some head coaches believe in keeping their assistant coaches away from the press. When Tom Coughlin was in Jacksonville, none of the other coaches were allowed to do interviews. His rationale was that he wanted the organization to speak in one voice.

But some head coaches believe in keeping their assistant coaches away from the press. When Tom Coughlin was in Jacksonville, none of the other coaches were allowed to do interviews. His rationale was that he wanted the organization to speak in one voice.

I can buy the organization having one voice. If that is the way Dodge wants it, then don't put the players in the situation with the media he put them in Saturday night.