Fire Mendoza!

yyz28

Can someone explain pursuit to me? How is it that the ULL quarterback is faster than any linebacker we can put on the field. And their running back is faster than any linebacker we can put on the field. But the running back isn't faster than Joseph Miller.

Folks, are returning players got exposed tonight (at least the linebackers). They were slow, and couldn't make the sideline to sideline plays necessary.

And at some point the FS may need to learn that he is the last line of defense, and that nobody should get behind him. The TD pass to the TE in the endzone was the safety and linebacker responsibility.

Thought, one positive: Joe Miller is a player. He is really developing. DD made a nice find there.

I was told Bleil had some desire to stay, but Dodge didn't want any of these from the older staff?

I have alot of respect for my collegues in the coaching profesion they (we) have to go through alot every week and no matter how successful you are fans are going to complain. I was at Denton Ryan During those 4 straight State Championship appearances and you should've heard some of the things we heard from the stands about how horrible we were coaching.

I say this because I respect Dodge and he had to do what he had to do with Bleil and Evans in order to make this team completely his. I think he had to clean house. Even if that meant me leaving too. I understood his reasoning. I might not have explained it well, but I totally understood and didn't take it personal.

I'm tired of this "we don't have the talent" argument. We have a LOT of returning players who were a part of the #64 defense in the nation last year. Not gangbusters, but a HELL of a lot better than say the 119th. (or lower, if we inlude division 2)

...You like my "irresponsible post?"

I'm tired of this "we don't have the talent" argument. We have a LOT of returning players who were a part of the #64 defense in the nation last year. Not gangbusters, but a HELL of a lot better than say the 119th. (or lower, if we inlude division 2)

...You like my "irresponsible post?"

I love your posting; very irresponsible but right.

He COULD go to Butch Lacroix for one. That would be a start.

And it's never too late to change schemes. We have 17 returning starters that played 12 games in the 3-4 last year. It's never too late. In fact, they played the first two series out of the basic 4-3 and had some success only to go back to it the rest of the way tonight. I give the DC some credit for at least trying it. But then it just fell apart from there on.

Rick

That would be a start. ;)

Dodge has done some GREAT things on the offensive side of the ball, and that is something we have begged for years.

BUT...he is responsible for the defense, just as DD was responsible for such a horrible offense. Granted he needs time, but for the love of god, show some improvement.

My biggest complait for example, tonight we played pretty well on defense early in the game, but then ULLA made adjustments, and then it was like we had no counter.

I love having Dodge here, but he is just as responsible for the defense as DD was responsible for the bad offense we had to watch for years.

He needs to be responsible to the players and the university, and not to some buddy of his...if there isn't improvement, which I haven't seen, a change needs to be made.

Agreed 100%.

Ok so I have never been a football coach or have never played football in an organized league of any sort but I hear that players are missing tackles and etc and I ask this question.....Why would that be Mendoza's fault? Dont you learn how to tackle the minute you start to play football? At some point we need to make players liable too IMO. This isnt to say Mendoza is doing what he's supposed to do but if things like missing tackles is an issue then I fault the players. I know many people disagree but I think this whole process is about experience....I'm sure Mendoza is a wonderful coach but he is going thru a learning phase that takes time to adjust too. Going from HS to Div 1A college coaching is a huge jump so I think with the addiiton of defensive players not making plays, I think we can see the inexperience of Mendoza and that it will take some time and adjusting to correct it.

Ok so I have never been a football coach or have never played football in an organized league of any sort but I hear that players are missing tackles and etc and I ask this question.....Why would that be Mendoza's fault? Don't you learn how to tackle the minute you start to play football? At some point we need to make players liable too IMO. This isn't to say Mendoza is doing what he's supposed to do but if things like missing tackles is an issue then I fault the players. I know many people disagree but I think this whole process is about experience....I'm sure Mendoza is a wonderful coach but he is going through a learning phase that takes time to adjust too. Going from HS to Div 1A college coaching is a huge jump so I think with the addition of defensive players not making plays, I think we can see the inexperience of Mendoza and that it will take some time and adjusting to correct it.

Shh, don't you get it? The sky is falling. Pack up your car and get out of town. Oh, wait. That's what Mendoza's supposed to do. Apparently he can teach a player to run faster and tackle better.

Shh, don't you get it? The sky is falling. Pack up your car and get out of town. Oh, wait. That's what Mendoza's supposed to do. Apparently he can teach a player to run faster and tackle better.

You can teach tackling. The running is up to the off season program and even then most speed is natural god given. Hopefully we will be able to get some faster recruits in here in the next 2 seasons. That being said there are some good football players on that side of the ball. I played with Kassell and he wasn't the fastest guy on the defense by far, but he made plays. Would I have traded him? Not a chance!

You can teach tackling. The running is up to the off season program and even then most speed is natural god given. Hopefully we will be able to get some faster recruits in here in the next 2 seasons. That being said there are some good football players on that side of the ball. I played with Kassell and he wasn't the fastest guy on the defense by far, but he made plays. Would I have traded him? Not a chance!

RA, I certainly do not disagree with what you are saying but shouldnt tackling be the most basic type of thing when learning about football? How much can you teach the act of tackling itself? I could be wrong but can you equate bunting in baseball to tackling in football?

Edited by Green Mean

Yes tackling is very basic, but it is an art. I visited with TCU's defense this summer and learned alot about tackling. They go through a "tackling circuit" everyday. I won't go into the details, but it's basicly form tackling, positioning, and technique. Pretty good stuff. I say this because no matter how basic it is, at the highest levels it should be practiced. Now I haven't been to a UNT practice this year, but I think I heard somewhere that they do tackling drills. I can't explain it. I coach here in Gainesville now and we're 0-5. I'm the special teams coordinator and in our last game we had a fieldgoal blocked, a punt blocked for a touchdown, and a punt returned on us for a touchdown. Is it my horrible coaching? I would have to take the blame for some of it, but my players still have to make plays. I'm sure there are people screaming for my head too.

Now if next year we start 0-5(unt) with no improvement from the Defense then we can start to....wait....oh crap....I think a little bit of the sky just fell on me. I'm outa here!