Drc Blog---wed. Night

<H2 class=date-header>August 15, 2007</H2><H3 class=entry-header>Answers on King and Gilmore</H3>Nick and longtime UNT fan John McDowell submitted a couple of good questions to the blog today, which is something we would like to see more of. Here is the latest.

John -- and everyone else who follows UNT -- wanted to know what is going on with defensive end Eddrick Gilmore. The sophomore hasn't practiced with the Mean Green this fall and was still MIA on Wednesday. He stopped by practice Tuesday in street cloths. Word is Gilmore could be back soon, possibly in the next couple of days.

The return of Gilmore would be huge for UNT, which doesn't have much depth on its defensive line or proven playmakers up front outside of Jeremiah Chapman. Gilmore hasn't proven he can be a difference-maker either, but he does have the potential to be a top player for the Mean Green.

The other big question going into practice today was the status of wide receiver Marcus King. The freshman took a nasty tumble at the back of the end zone at the end of practice Tuesday. Luckily for UNT, King was OK and will only be out for a few days. Dodge said the video of King hyper-extending his knee was a scary sight.

Dodge said King, who played in a run-based offense in high school, was making rapid progress before the injury.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 10:30 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

<H3 class=entry-header>Robert Peachey update</H3>North Texas tackle Robert Peachey was on crutches Wednesday with a hamstring injury that head coach Todd Dodge said would make the sophomore's status a day-to-day decision.

Hamstring injuries can be tricky -- just ask running back Jamario Thomas, who battled that problem ever since late in his freshman season.

Peachey probably won't have nearly as tough a time with the injury as Thomas, but it wasn't an encouraging sign to see UNT's projected starter at right tackle standing on the sideline. UNT does not have much depth on its offensive line -- especially at tackle.

There will be a full story in tomorrow's paper on the news that came out of UNT's workout. Be sure to pick up the paper or check our Web site late tonight.

Posted by Brett Vito email.gif at 10:30 PM | Permalink | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

With all due respect to Brett, he didn't really answer any questions about Gilmore. Everyone is dying to know when he'll be back/why he's gone. Telling us that he was last seen on Tuesday in street clothes is just a big tease.

shame on you Mr. Vito. shame.

Edited by greenminer

With all due respect to Brett, he didn't really answer any questions about Gilmore
Well...

Word is Gilmore could be back soon, possibly in the next couple of days.

and...

Cut him some slack - he hinted that he would be back and that is good news. You have to be fairly careful these days about disclosing information especially academics.

Harry couldn't be more right...you screw up and write about a players grades or that he will be back before he can or will you could get yourself into some troubles with the coach and/or university.

Plus not everything he hears about or knows can always be written in the paper.

Edited by BIG DAWG

Not being rude but right now what is the difference between Gilmore and Byerly? We praised them both as being the next Superstar and so far neither has stayed on the field long enough to do anything because of academics.

Byerly?

I have been a member of this board since the start. I can't remember anyone ever praising Byerly. There were some positive things said about him, but there were also plenty of negative things said. Eddrick Gilmore was the highest rated recruit in his class. He also showed flashed of brillance on the field as a TRUE freshman. Supposedly he has put on 20 pounds of muscle. He could be the next defensive star for NT, if he is eligible. He missed last year because of academics, but Byerly flunked out of school if what I hear is true.

Byerly?

I have been a member of this board since the start. I can't remember anyone ever praising Byerly. There were some positive things said about him, but there were also plenty of negative things said. Eddrick Gilmore was the highest rated recruit in his class. He also showed flashed of brillance on the field as a TRUE freshman. Supposedly he has put on 20 pounds of muscle. He could be the next defensive star for NT, if he is eligible. He missed last year because of academics, but Byerly flunked out of school if what I hear is true.

Joey Byerly had more problams than just his academics. He liked to participate in illeage activities.

Joey Byerly had more problams than just his academics. He liked to participate in illeage activities.

I know about some of those activities, but chose not to defame the young man's character any further.

I know about some of those activities, but chose not to defame the young man's character any further.

Last I heard, He had been charged and was awaiting arraignment. He has defamed his own character on public record.

I had high hopes for the guy. I really liked his cadence under center. When he yelled out the plays, it made me want to stand and salute. The guy sounded like a drill seargent on the field. I hated it that things didn't work out for him.

Well...

and...

Harry couldn't be more right...you screw up and write about a players grades or that he will be back before he can or will you could get yourself into some troubles with the coach and/or university.

Plus not everything he hears about or knows can always be written in the paper.

There is nothing that could prohibit a reporter from writing about a player's academics. It is called freedom of the press. From a practical standpoint being the School and it's representatives are prohibited from divulging that information, it would be difficult to obtain and verify the information unless it was obtained from the player himself. A beat reporter can probably get this data off the record but as stated it would detroy the relationship with the University if he used it.

Edited by GrandGreen