Green Brigade Reunion - Oct 26 & 27

The UNT College of Music will be hosting a Green Brigade Reunion on October 26 & 27, 2007 as part of the Homecoming celebration and Mean Green game.

The Reunion is centered around two events:

Friday, October 26, from 7 PM to 10 PM, College of Music Dean, Dr. James Scott, will welcome all reunion attendees at a reception in the Music Commons, located at 415 Ave. C, casual dress, snacks, beer and wine. Your official Band Reunion T-shirts will be given to you that night (or Saturday morning, if you can’t make it to the reception).

Saturday, October 27, from 9 AM to end of the game, the reunion will take place in the Murchison Performing Arts Center and Fouts Field, located at I-35 E and North Texas Blvd (use the Fouts Field parking lot). Activities include fellowship with classmates and faculty (past and present), and a rehearsal for the pre-game performance. Continental breakfast, lunch and beverages, will be provided.

Maurice MacAdow influenced many students during his tenure at the University of North Texas. The College of Music recently established an endowed fund to pay tribute to this UNT legend. Please consider a gift to this fund, which will be used for the continued support of the UNT Wind Studies Department. You may send your contribution with your reunion registration (separate check, please), or you may make a gift at the reunion.

We are very excited about the upcoming reunion! If you would like to receive a registration packet, have any questions about the reunion or would like to contributing to the MacAdow Fund please call or email our reunion coordinator, Laura Russell, at (940) 369-8417, lrussell@music.unt.edu

Click to view GB Reunion Postcard

For more information, visit the UNT Green Brigade Website

Thank you for posting this and I am looking forward to returning to campus for the first time since Mr. McAdow's funeral.

A few things, when I was contacted about this several months ago, I understood this to be a reunion for band members from 1945 to 75 (the years of Mr McAdow's tenure at North Texas) but according to your posting and the postcard, I see it is a reunion for all band members. Which is correct? We were not the Green Brigade then, in fact we were just the "marching band", but those were simpler times.

Thank you for posting this and I am looking forward to returning to campus for the first time since Mr. McAdow's funeral.

A few things, when I was contacted about this several months ago, I understood this to be a reunion for band members from 1945 to 75 (the years of Mr McAdow's tenure at North Texas) but according to your posting and the postcard, I see it is a reunion for all band members. Which is correct? We were not the Green Brigade then, in fact we were just the "marching band", but those were simpler times.

It may have been simpler times, but the Maurice McAdow's Marching Band certainly didn't play simpler music. ;)

• 2 months later...

I'm going to make it!

What's this thread doing under "Non-UNT Sports"? If it wasn't for your post, I wouldn't have found it. It would be better if it was under "UNT News".

My first year in the band was 1980 - the last year that Stansberry (I've forgotten his first name) was assistant director with Bob Winslow. We had a great show that year - we did a "Best Little Whorehouse" medley at the UH game in the Astrodome! 1981 was great too - did our show at UT. We had a screaming arrangement of Bach's Toccata & Fugue in D minor, kicked off with an on-field synthesizer played by Mike "Spunky" Brunone, later to be one of the charter members of Dan Haerle's "Zebras".

Unfortunately, it seemed that the drop to I-AA purgatory affected the band as well...

Anyway, while I don't know much about Maurice MacAdow, I appreciate the respect people have for him. I feel the same way about Winslow & Stansberry.

I'll have to call tomorrow!

I'm sure it is a BYOI (bring your own instrument) event... I'll have to bring the bass drum from my kit!