Nt Women Get Committment From 6-2 Forward From Crowley

OldTimer

Basketball: Crowley standout commits to Mean Green

12:00 AM CDT on Wednesday, July 4, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

The more time Ryan Green spent at North Texas over the last few months, the more the Crowley standout was convinced it was where she wanted to continue her basketball career.

Green came to a UNT game last season, attended one of head coach Tina Slinker's basketball camps on campus this summer, and made one final trip to Denton recently that sealed her decision to orally commit to the Mean Green before her senior season.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day 2008 recruits can sign national letters of intent is Nov. 14, the beginning of the early signing period.

Green, a 6-2 forward, had scholarship offers from Southern Mississippi, Oral Roberts and Stephen F. Austin in addition to UNT.

"I really liked the staff at North Texas and the way they recruited me," Green said. "They were very up front, open and easy to talk to. I felt very comfortable with them."

Green was one of the top players in the Dallas-Fort Worth area last season when she averaged about 19 points and eight rebounds a game. She was an All-District 8-4A and all-region selection last season when she led Crowley to the regional tournament.

The Lady Eagles fell in the Class 4A Region I semifinals to Canyon Randall, 38-37, in overtime.

Green is expected to play both forward spots for UNT. The Mean Green will have three senior frontcourt players this season. Green appears as if she could help fill the void they leave as a freshman.

"North Texas is close to home, which is a big thing for me," Green said. "I also felt like it would be a good educational opportunity."

Green is playing for the Lubbock Lady Hawks AAU team over the summer and will have a chance to concentrate on her summer schedule after committing to UNT, which is just one season removed from winning the Sun Belt Conference West Division title and has won four division titles in the last nine years.

UNT is looking to move back to the top of the conference after struggling to a 9-20 record with a young team last season. The Mean Green's top four scorers were either freshmen or sophomores.

After speaking with several of the Mean Green's returning players, Green was sure UNT was where she wanted to continue her career.

"I got to the point where I knew that North Texas was where I wanted to go," Green said. "My parents asked me what would happen if another school came in. I decided that no matter who came in later, I would still pick North Texas."

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com.