Smu's Leading Tackler Leaves Team

NT03

Reggie Carrington, the all-Conference USA linebacker expected to lead SMU's defense this fall, has left the program, coach Phil Bennett said Thursday.

"He's dealing with some other issues and he's questioning if he wants to play," Bennett said. "I'm not sure with everything he's got going that football's viable right now."

Bennett said he hadn't "shut the door" on Carrington, but does not expect the sixth-year player, who was the Mustangs' top returning tackler, to play this season. Bennett said Carrington expects to graduate at the end of the summer.

Attempts to reach Carrington were not immediately successful.

Carrington, a 6-2, 240-pound senior, was second on the team with 80 tackles last season. He recorded 10 tackles for loss, four sacks, four pass breakups and a forced fumble while starting all 12 games. He earned second team all-conference honors from the media and third team from the coaches.

Bennett had said during spring practice that Carrington would be a key figure in 2007.

Bennett said he and Carrington discussed the situation Wednesday, and said the decision was not a surprise.

Carrington, of Tomball, Texas, learned this spring that he had been granted a sixth year of eligibility. He took a medical redshirt season because of a torn pectoral muscle in 2004 after wrist injuries forced him to redshirt as a true freshman in 2002.

0615smu.jpg VERNON BRYANT / DMN Reggie Carrington (left) was SMU's top returning tackler before leaving the program. "He's fought the fight," Bennett said. "He's been good for SMU football."

Carrington and fellow senior linebackers Wilton McCray and Tony Hawkins figured to be a strength for a unit with a new-look defensive line.

Bennett said senior Damon Hurst is the leading candidate to fill Carrington's spot at middle linebacker, with redshirt freshmen Ryan Moczygemba and Pete Fleps in the mix.

"Naturally, I hate that he's not going to be there," Bennett said, "but I think we're going to be OK."

hummmm, a sixth year ?????? Gotta be kidding me !!!! He gets 6 yrs if he wants them....and Zack Muzzy cant a legit listen to.

My thoughts exactly! Zach and NT got screwed. I don't know all the facts regarding the smu player and Muzzy but this sure smells of descrimination by the NCAA.

Actually, I have been able to uncover the "real" story behind this...

It turns out Reggie Carrington:

reggiecarringtonpx1.jpg

...is actually Ahmad Rashad:

ahmadrashadcn7.jpg

Yeah, it was actually a big stink...turns out his NCAA eligibility is in questions as well... :ph34r: