Troy Gets Some Respect

As long as that very attitude exists we will never build our fan base. What TD brings to the table is a brand of football where people show up to see their team play and don't give a rat's a__ as to who the opposition is!! Don't insult everyone on this board's intelligence by referring to Baylor as a big name team.

Edited by DallasGreen

As long as that very attitude exists we will never build our fan base. What TD brings to the table is a brand of football where people show up to see their team play and don't give a rat's a__ as to who the opposition is!! Don't insult everyone on this board's intelligence by referring to Baylor as a big name team.

I was responding to your comment that insinuated that South Florida should draw more to a game in Denton, Texas than Baylor should. Baylor is a Big XII team, former SWC team, and thus well-known as a football team in Texas. South Florida did not even begin to play football until 1997. That's just 10 years ago.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

I'd like us to get to the point where the opponent we play is irrelevant. Based on past performance, we are relying on what is on the other side of the ball @ Fouts to attract fans. Kind of a sad reality to me. People should - and hopefull WILL - be attracted to UNT because UNT is a fun, winning atmosphere.

Edited by greenminer

ADDENDUMS & ALTERATIONS & TYPOS CORRECTED OF THIS LONG-RUNNING EPISTLE AS OF THURSDAY, MAY 24, 2007 (and I shamelessly bring this back to the top because it was suggested that I do such so new readers (hopefully from campus) will spend their lunch hour :rolleyes: reading how many think about this subject)

Somebody! Anybody! Please stop this gol' darned thread now before all we will have had left at the NT/TAMU game were the 275 member UNT Green Brigade marching band (with all them secretly wearing maroon underwear, I presume) plus many of their ever-loyal band parents! :blink::)

If we truly only had 10-12,000 MG fans at this game, then maybe all we've been doing is fooling ourselves and wasting a lot of time/money while at the same time seeing our upper echelon UNT leaders approving the under-writings of some pretty nice NCAA D1-A salaries. And salaries for those who have (apparently) had a whole bunch of us hood-winked into thinking that this could truly be a Big Time football program. Amazing how Big Talk can buy even more time on a payroll for some at schools like ours. (FWIW and at that 1997 game, I did see some Denton folks I've seen at Mean Green games for decades wearing maroon which I presume mean't they either attended TAMU or maybe they were just (sadly) some of the best front-running fans in the history of inter-collegiate sports). :blink::)

NOTE: Just to make sure dimensia has not completely set in, I did talk to another long time NT Ex today about the attendance at that 1997 NT/TAMU game and he concurred with what I saw that afternoon. We both freely admitted there were more Aggies at this game but not to the extent that has been expressed in this thread.

THEN.......... :unsure: this long time fellow alum of ours did add in our phone discussion why there seemed to be such a clamor from some posters on this board (and in this very thread) to almost want to gleefully advertise and glorify how small the UNT continguency was in comparison to those vaunted TAMU Aggies (if that were, in deed, the case). I told him I thought it a very strange way for alums to act toward their own alma mater, too.

BUT BACK TO THE PRESENT IN MEAN GREEN COUNTRY &.....................IF YOU CAN'T GET THE JOB DONE IN 4 STRAIGHT YEARS THEN WHAT DO WE REALLY HAVE GOING FOR US @ UNT AS WE APPROACH THE TODD DODGE ERA ? ? ? ?: 4 bowl years and the production (or lack thereof) we had at a time when all pistons in every department within the UNT Athletic Department during those 4 years should have been runnning non-stop all systems go yet a department whose cumulative efforts still only produced 15,000 fans per home game in Denton during that more than fair enough time for any state of Texas employee to prove their worth and talents.

If such attendance statistics (which most NCAA D1-A schools use as their barometer of success or effectiveness with their constituency); anyway, if such stats as those over a 4 year period (one U.S. presidential term) doesn't speak volumes about what may very well be way too many of our present pool of ancillery athletic administration staff's talent deficiencies in Denton, then have we all become (OK...........I'll use the PC wording).................both hearing and speech impaired (formerly deaf and dumb) with what has been on-going yet approved on an annual basis from those who should know quality when they see it (and give an employee a fair enough time to prove his/her talents)? ;) What a utopian easy to keep your job co-existance no matter your production level we have going on at our main campus in Denton.

ON THE EVE OF THE TODD DODGE 1'ST SEASON AS OUR HFC, MIGHT NOW BE THE TIME FOR AD RICK VILLARREAL TO DRAMATICALLY TWEAK HIS ATHLETIC STAFF (MANY OF WHOM HE INHERITED UPON HIS ARRIVAL IN DENTON)?

How many of our present group of annual low-producers (especially during our bowl years) will conveniently use new UNT head football coach Todd Dodge to coat-tail yet even more unproductive time on the UNT athletic payroll with what any business trend would tell most of us what we could very well expect in the next 4 years? Why have we traditionally waited so-oooooooooo long at UNT to suggest to some of our athletic employees that their job at UNT is just not a good job match for them? (Again, weren't those 4 bowl years in a row enough time for each dept within the UNT Athletic Dept to make some dramatic "never been done before in Denton" accomplishments and for each athletic employee to prove during that time if their level of talent is a true fit or not in Denton or would better be utilized in a lesser division (than 1-A) of the NCAA? How many of you in the non-academic world get 4 years to prove yourselves at your jobs and if you don't produce you still get to hang around anyway)?:)

QUESTION: Does anyone thinks Todd Dodge can do all the fund-raising, all the selling of season tickets to fill the stands and all the Week of the Game/Game Day promotions of all this? Those UNT Athletic Dept. employees who are going to be riding on Dodge's coat-tails to buy more time in Denton are for darn sure hoping he can.

So..................can we expect yet another long decade toward the bottom of NCAA D1-A with mild successes at the Sun Belt Conference level as an occasional appeasement for a hardy handful who will just about accept anything dished down to them from the UNT Athletic Dept. just as long as we have the right logo or shade of green in place?

Well................FWIW...................such lower profile successes toward the Bottom 25 of NCAA D1-A might well keep those pre-game tailgate BBQ'ers a-burnin' for some, but for many, many others that will just not be good enough for what most feel our alma mater, ie, the University of North Texas deserves as a school which some state forecasters say will be a university which will one day surpass Texas A & M University as the 2'nd largest university in Texas.

I stand to be corrected with this assessment of what I (and BTW, others) took place (or did not take place) during our 4 year bowl run (and I have personally never had a problem 'fessing up if I am wrong about anything) ; but what part of what I've just posted concerning what really should have been a golden opportunity for banner growth led by the UNT Athletic Dept. beginning first with that true barometer used by most NCAA D1-A schools of "whats annually happening at the turnstiles" is not true?

IN CONCLUSION I ASK YOU THIS MY FELLOW ALUMS/MEAN GREEN FANS:

Which of you can counter-point any of this with real statistics that suggest all this time we have truly merely been heading to a Top 25 stratusphere a la Boise State? I really want to be wrong about every bit of this I have posted that myself and others have observed during the 4 year bowl run by UNT, but isn't it a fact that all we have to go by as barometers is attendance per home game? In other words, sorta' like a salesmen has, well, uh, sales to go by as his or her own barometer? Stands to reason if we start averaging 30,000 per home game that all other aspects (including fundraising) will improve across the board, right? :huh:

FWIW, other non-BCS schools or at least those that say they aspire moving up the football food chain for a higher profile existance in NCAA D1-A would certainly use average attendance as their main barometer. So if someone/anyone will enlighten me to other things that suggests our 4 year bowl run was a raging attendance success as well as a Mean Green football support fan-builder extraordinaire of a scenario then to use a quote by Texan Ross Peorot who said in one of his presidential debates: "I'm All Ears!?" :)

He's off his meds

:lol:

And should I mention what I have followed the last 34 years (with others on GMG.com much longer than that) that played a big part in causing me to have to get on that medication in the first place?!?!?!? :rolleyes::blink::lol:

Its just that the university, ie, "our university" that will one day (sooner tha later) pass Texas A & M University (College Station) in enrollment should just be gearing up with proven personnel that will enable us to act like the 2'nd largest university in the sovereign state of Texas.

I honest-to-goodness feel Rick V is an NCAA D1-A AD with a very tough job in Denton, but I'm just not sure about all who surrounds him in the NT Athletic Dept. (many he inherited) meeting the same criteria. Thats about all I can say about that.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen