Woodinville's 64-0 Victory

"Another suggestion at the meeting involved moving Franklin to a full-time junior-varsity schedule for the rest of the season. The Quakers' struggling program has been beaten 30-0, 24-0 and 13-0 in its three other games. "

To me, having my varsity be downgraded to a JV schedule would be much more demeaning than taking my beatings at the varsity level...

Two things that can be enacted to prevent a route like that:

1. Run rule. See it a lot in rec ball. I think in Texas 6-man high school football there is a score limit.

2. Coach can pull his starters after it is like 10-0 or something like that. One drawback to that: you really don't want to tell your players to "not score." Addressed this in the article about the football team wining by 50+ in high school.

A few years ago, I covered a HS baseball game, Rockwall vs. Wilmer-Hutchins, that could have ended like this. Rockwall scored 16 runs in the first inning and WH went down in order on 3 strikeouts against Rockwall's freshman pitcher. Rockwall scored 9 runs in the next inning and WH went down on 3 Strikeouts. Rockwall's coach had already emptied his bench, but he told the players to swing at every pitch and when they hit it, run until they either scored or were tagged out. He told the freshman pitcher to groove fast balls down the center of the plate. Rockwall scored 6, 8 and 3 runs and won 42-1. In the fifth inning the leadoff batter for WH hit a legit homerun over the right field fence. The Rockwall pithcer ended up with 15 strikeouts in a five inning game. I interviewed the WH kid who hit the homer and he was like. "We finally got a bead on the guy. It was a fastball right down the center of the plate, like he was begging for me to hit it." Little did he know, he was!