Nt Daily Article -- Students Should Support Nt's Sports Teams

How about South Carolina? Even when are absolutely terrible they have terrific fan support.

and now I divert you to the "nothing else to do in South Carolina" argument...

a better question would be, "name one school that is in a major media market that has a large enrollment, is a state school, is in a pretty lousy conference, hasn't had much success in athletics by national standards, isn't well-known nationally academically other then a music school, has to compete with pro sports teams nearby, plays in a state with 9 other Division 1A programs, and may or may not wear green yet STILL manages to draw large crowds"

If anyone can think of one, THAT is the school we should emulate.

Edited by Eagle1855

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and now I divert you to the "nothing else to do in South Carolina" argument...

a better question would be, "name one school that is in a major media market that has a large enrollment, is a state school, is in a pretty lousy conference, hasn't had much success in athletics by national standards, isn't well-known nationally academically other then a music school, has to compete with pro sports teams nearby, plays in a state with 9 other Division 1A programs, and may or may not wear green yet STILL manages to draw large crowds"

If anyone can think of one, THAT is the school we should emulate.

haha...you actually pointed out some new points to me...good one.

By the way...I teach and coach, and I just printed out some copies of the wallpaper picture of our basketball team and handed it out to the varsity basketball team in study hall. Now...they know who NORTH TEXAS IS!!!!!

Just some observations:

1. I think our new President and her apparant support of athletics and her pr skills will help us in the future with alums

2. Promotions cost money--is every member offering suggestions on this board a member of the Mean Green Club?

3. If money is tight, you can still show up at the Selection Show Party--the more people see us supporting UNT the more they will want to become a part

4. Students in high school today do not show the same spirit for high school sports as they have in the past (38 years in the high school education business)--we will need to continue instilling that in freshman orientation, etc.--we will have to build it one student at a time--don't give up on this!

5. Show your pride by wearing UNT clothing as often as possible---free visiabilty

6. Have the Athletic Department expand its emphasis outside the city of Denton---schedule events at times that those working in Dallas/Ft. Worth can also attend, while contending with the 5:00 weekday traffic

7. Bring at least one extra person to every event you attend

These may be "baby steps, " but for the most part they are doable right now and will not cost much money. If we build the foundation, things can expand exponentially. The main thing is not to give up if things didn't work the first time. I have been a loyal fan for almost 40 years and seen lots of ups and downs. I see a chance for very positive movement if we continue with improved performance on the field/court, and for that we should hold our athletic department accountable. However, we also need to hold ourselves accountable. Alumni and student support is crucial and we have to accept our responsibility in this quest for success.

My question to you: are you doing all you can to to promote the University and its programs?

I really think it starts with freshman orientation. If you can get students excited from the get-go, you can hook them for life.

I agree totally with the person who said that we need to make fans of students when they are freshmen. That is where a fan is made. Is it brainwashing? You bet. We need to learn a little from the Aggies and the Horns. They are doing some things right. I think we are doing more than ever in that department. We just need to keep doing it. I don't know how to explain basketball, but football has definitely improved...throw last season out...we stunk. When Dodgeball gets going we are going to see a packed house for many home games. There just needs to be a sustained effort in the basketball department. Spirit contests in the dorms with promotions for prizes or whatever. The main thing is that it needs to be POSITIVE. Chastising people for not being interested IS NOT the way to improve interest.

I've often wondered if the HS students who wanted a more "school-spirit-rah-rah" atmosphere avoided going to NT for the very reason that we are having this thread in the first place. If that is the case, then what this school (in particular the spirit organizations) is left to work with is mostly a group of new students who were the disenfranchised at their respective High Schools.

i have been a part of those orientations and that is the attitude of the students. i think however that you and the orientation leaders at this school did us an invaluable service because things have started turning around with the students. i think that the times are changing. students are more excited about north texas now because of freshmen orientation. unfortunately, we haven't given them anything to be excited about in the last few years with athletics. watch this upcoming football season... those students will come out. there is a buzz on campus. if we can keep it close at OU and ARK... people will be going crazy

I lumped all of these into one reply, since they all touch on the Freshman Orientation experience. I do agree that getting them to show spirit and pride when they're fresh makes it easier for them to continue to support their school through the 4-5 years that they're here, and beyond. The thing is, they seem to. The students seem to be into the school, into the cheer contests (which we judge), into the Traditions, Greek Life, and StuCo videos. Or maybe they just yell and scream for free t-shirts, and do the cheer contest because they "have" to. Granted, I can sense which kids seem to be there because they have to be, but there are those that do seem to care and buy in to the spirit.

We hyped the SMU game last Summer, the stands are packed, then it goes downhill from there. Two ugly road losses and then a raping at home. No matter how RHA appeals to the students through contests and giveaways, if that's what your meal was like when you went, why would you want to go back to that restaurant? This year it'll be Dodge Ball and the hope for some sort of exciting football. OU will be considered like the Texas game, and we'll be expected to get trounced. SMU may get more students than you'd expect, because so many of the dorm kids go home on the weekend, usually down to the Metroplex. But Florida Atlantic will be the real make-or-break, like SMU was last year. If we win or lose close, interest will stay. If we die over the next two weeks, it'll take a big hit.

By the time basketball season starts, it's around both the Thanksgiving break and Dead Week/Finals. Then it's Christmas Break, and everyone has to leave the dorms, and they scatter to the four corners of Texas and beyond. So really the only time to drive basketball attendance and have a realistic shot of improving support is during the Spring. For some reason, the Spring suffers in that area, and I don't know why. Maybe they realize that their study habits of the Fall don't quite make it, or they lose whatever they had over the month-long Christmas break. Each dorm had their special nights, but I'd be hard to say 10% of the residents came, even with the free stuff.

Does the Daily need more pro-athletics, pro-game day articles or ads? Yes. Do we need more advertising? Again, yes. In the DMN's "Quick," SMU ran half-page "Bring Back Moody" ads throughout the season. Surely our Athletics Department can buy space in this free newspaper to grab the students that read it. I mean, there are now distribution points in front or very near the entrance to every building on campus. I get the Marketing/Promotions emails from the AD, but it seems some of you don't. If you don't, the students probably don't. At least they, and others around the area, would hear about it in Quick.

Maybe its just me but do you guys notice that the people that are from outside the DFW area seem to have more school pride and attend more games? I know all my friends outside the area are very big NT fans and support them at all costs....where as the ones from this area are really indifferent about it and just do their own thing.