Football: Euless Trinity Tight End Commits To Unt

GreenBat

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...5.1845b3e2.html

Football: Euless Trinity tight end commits to UNT

Sources: Lewis leaves coaching staff

07:25 AM CST on Thursday, January 25, 2007

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

Euless Trinity tight end Jordan Scoggins got to know Todd Dodge long before North Texas’ new head coach began recruiting him a few weeks ago.

“I played with Riley and a lot of the guys on Southlake Carroll’s team when I lived up there,” Scoggins said. “I know coach Dodge. He is a great coach. I know that we are going to turn the program around.”

Scoggins agreed to become a part of that process when he orally committed to play for the Mean Green on Wednesday. Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day recruits can sign national letters of intent is Feb. 7.

Scoggins was also offered a scholarship by UTEP. Iowa State and TCU also showed interest in Scoggins, who is No. 99 in The Dallas Morning News’ list of the top 100 recruits in the area.

UNT was one of several schools that recruited Scoggins (6-3, 265) as a defensive lineman. The transition is one Scoggins is looking forward to making in UNT’s new 4-3 defense.

“I played tight end in high school, but a lot of schools wanted me to play defensive tackle,” Scoggins said. “They think that I can do some things for them there. I am confident that I can put on weight and improve under [uNT defensive tackles coach Robert] Drake.”

Scoggins was a first-team All-District 7-5A selection at tight end and helped lead Trinity to the playoffs.

Scoggins is one of several players from the Dallas-Fort Worth area who have committed to play for the Mean Green. UNT has also received a commitment from Trinity wide receiver Marcus King.

Scoggins said an opportunity to play with several players from the Dallas-Fort Worth area was one of the reasons he decided to play for the Mean Green.

UNT has commitments from seven players from the area in recruiting thus far, plus Rice transfer Evan Fentriss, a former Southlake Carroll standout.

Entering the third of its official visit weekends, the Mean Green has commitments from 13 high school players and junior college running back Cam Montgomery, in addition to Fentriss.

Lewis leaves football staff

Former Texas standout Derek Lewis has left UNT’s staff to pursue other opportunities, sources close to the situation said Wednesday.

Lewis was hired by new UNT head coach Todd Dodge to coach the Mean Green’s defensive ends after spending two seasons as a graduate assistant coach at Texas. Lewis spent three seasons with the St. Louis Rams and was part of their 1999 Super Bowl championship team before starting his coaching career.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

NORTH TEXAS COMMITMENTS

The following is a list of players who have orally committed to play for North Texas

Pos. Player School

LB Marquese Davis Atlanta

DL Jesse DeSoto San Antonio Lee

WR Sam Dibrell S.A. Alamo Heights

S Bron Hager Austin Westlake

WR Breece Johnson Colleyville Heritage

WR Marcus King Euless Trinity

WR Jason Martinson Birdville

RB Micah Mosley Nederland

LB Justin Padron Southlake Carroll

WR Sam Roberson Sommerville

DE Kyle Russo Southlake Carroll