Pit Crew Officially Back!

MeanGreengdub

Here's the email I received about how the pic crew will work...

Courtesy: University of North Texas

The Pit Crew is the official student section for North Texas Basketball. A loud student section is something that can influence a game in so many ways and that's something we are looking to build here at North Texas. We have goals and aspirations as becoming a feared arena to play in because of our loud student section.

Students can visit the Pit Crew area before tip-off at all Men’s Basketball games at Gate H. Students are encouraged to get there as early as possible so that they can get their Mean Green giveaways as well as receive the cheer sheet. The Pit Crew area will close just after tip-off. There will be a Pit Crew meeting at approximately 6:30 pm or 25 minutes before the game if it’s a double header to go over the cheer sheet for the game.

The Pit Crew is growing, make sure you become part of the excitement of Mean Green Basketball!

Here are some links to videos of various student sections around the country:

UCLA

UCLA

Gonzaga

Cheer Sheets

January 20th vs. Florida Atlantic

If you have any suggestions/ideas/stories for the cheer sheet, send an

e-mail to: NTMarketing@unt.edu

Season Long Pit Crew Promotions

-Pit Crew T-Shirts

-3 Point Signs

-Acme Brick Signs (big/small)

-Face Painting Table

-Face Signs

-Individual game Cheer Sheets

Individual Game Pit Crew Promotions

Saturday, January 20th vs. Florida Atlantic @ 7 pm (DH)

-Foam Noodles: First 1,000 students

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

Thursday, January 25th vs. Middle Tennessee @ 7 pm

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

Thursday February 1st vs. Troy @ 7 pm

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Pom-Poms

-Mini Basketballs

Saturday, February 3rd vs. Western Kentucky @ 7 pm

-Foam Noodles

-Cowboy Hats

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

Thursday, February 8th vs. New Orleans @ 7 pm

-Jester Hats

-Foam Noodles

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

Saturday, February 17th vs. Arkansas-Little Rock @ 7 pm (DH)

-Pom-Poms

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

Thursday, February 22nd vs. Arkansas State @ 7 pm (DH)

-Cowboy Hats

-Dr. Seuss Hats

-Mini Basketballs

...receive the cheer sheet....

*sighs and shakes head*

I bet they don't even have a Tiki Bastardface. They aren't the Pit Crew without a Tiki Bastardface.

Not trying to bring them down...I hope for huge success...but small traditions must be carried over in order to appease me personally.

Edited by JayDub

We were somewhat kidding about the Tiki thing (we'll get you one if we have to)...but now...I'm a little pissed...

As one of the original members of the PitCrew I can't support this thing until something changes...It has just been brought to my attention that the Pit Crew is now behind the HOME bench.

WHAT THE HELL? The primary objective of the PitCrew was to make the Pit a tough place to for our opponents to play in.until the Pit is, one day, completely filled with Mean Green basketball fans...the only way the PitCrew works is behind the visitor's bench. Unless the AD changes where the team sits...or unless the PitCrew goes ninja, changes sections, and puts themselves behind the visitors' bench where they belong...I just can't get behind this.

Nobody fought to make sure the PC stayed behind the visitors? <_<*gives disappointed and disgusted look*

The PitCrew that is not parked behind the visitors' bench...not being loud and somewhat obnoxious towards the other team in anyway they can...may as well just go by another name:

Talons.

Don't be a bunch of wussies...go rogue and sit where you belong...not where the AD tells you.

Edited by JayDub

I agree with JayDub. I as well was one of the members the first (and only) year. If we bum rush the ushers we can sit behind the visitor bench.

As for the bench switching I have been told this was JJs decision and that he doesn't want to move the benches again and the only way we will sit behind the visitors again is if the AD decides to switch the side of the stadium that the student section is located which as these things go with our AD won't happen until next year at the earliest. My question for JJ though is, WTF were you thinking?

We were somewhat kidding about the Tiki thing (we'll get you one if we have to)...but now...I'm a little pissed...

As one of the original members of the PitCrew I can't support this thing until something changes...It has just been brought to my attention that the Pit Crew is now behind the HOME bench.

WHAT THE HELL? The primary objective of the PitCrew was to make the Pit a tough place to for our opponents to play in.until the Pit is, one day, completely filled with Mean Green basketball fans...the only way the PitCrew works is behind the visitor's bench. Unless the AD changes where the team sits...or unless the PitCrew goes ninja, changes sections, and puts themselves behind the visitors' bench where they belong...I just can't get behind this.

Nobody fought to make sure the PC stayed behind the visitors? <_<*gives disappointed and disgusted look*

The PitCrew that is not parked behind the visitors' bench...not being loud and somewhat obnoxious towards the other team in anyway they can...may as well just go by another name:

Talons.

Don't be a bunch of wussies...go rogue and sit where you belong...not where the AD tells you.

I have no problem going to sit behind the visitors bench the worst they're going to do is tell you to move....and then maybe it can be worked out to make it to where they allow the pit crew to sit there...and i think what made the school support it is the hiring of Todd Dodge if we want to be big time it has to be in more than just football..maybe we are really going to take athletics seriously?

Edited by mwynn05

Believe me the original pit crewers also went to the athletic department and basically got a huge...good luck with that... I dont know what happened now that they decided to start throwing cash their way...congrats on that...

I also stand behind jaydub....get behind the visitors....

maybe the OG's need to make an appearance and show up behind the right bench some night!

Well, it was my understanding the original PC was basically just a bunch of guys that got together. I'm sure Athletics was dubious of that. On the otherhand, this seemed to be spearheaded by leaders of the Greeks, Talons, and other various organizations, which no doubt gave Athletics the impression this wasn't a fly by night thing.

Yeah But when 5 guys show up with a set out plan like Gak had prepared and we had decent alumni support its still a shot in the heart to get no love then watch someone come along a year or two later and basically upstart what was someone else's thing...

I am stoked to see it take off but I just wanna see it TRUELY what it was meant to be. Unfortunately this new job is totally limiting my availability for games... I want to come out and see the team and this new pit crew.

I wish these guys the best of luck, but please take some ORIGINAL traditions with it...

Athletics did contribute shirts to the group and announced them at the games a few times. I don't remember the AD ever doing any major promotions with the Pit Crew, though. I know they did the concert. food, and searchlights at the TCU game a couple years ago, but I don't think the AD had anything to do with that. Hopefully now that the Pit Crew has the support of the AD, they can turn it into what it was supposed to be. I'd love to see a section or two full of students doing chants and yelling at the visitor bench. Also don't forget about "Cheater!" whenever there's a foul. That was hilarious to me, and unique. By the way, the hats and the wigs...lame. :lol:

Edited by ColoradoEagle

Yeah But when 5 guys show up with a set out plan like Gak had prepared and we had decent alumni support its still a shot in the heart to get no love then watch someone come along a year or two later and basically upstart what was someone else's thing...

I am stoked to see it take off but I just wanna see it TRUELY what it was meant to be. Unfortunately this new job is totally limiting my availability for games... I want to come out and see the team and this new pit crew.

I wish these guys the best of luck, but please take some ORIGINAL traditions with it...

let me andsome other guys know we will do our best to keep it going......AND GUYS THAT WILL BE THERE TOMORROW NIGHT LETS SIT BEHIND THE VISITOR BENCH UNTIL THE TELL US TO MOVE (in caps bc i want everyone to catch this not to be a jerk or anything)

Edited by mwynn05

Athletics did contribute shirts to the group and announced them at the games a few times. I don't remember the AD ever doing any major promotions with the Pit Crew, though. I know they did the concert. food, and searchlights at the TCU game a couple years ago, but I don't think the AD had anything to do with that. Hopefully now that the Pit Crew has the support of the AD, they can turn it into what it was supposed to be. I'd love to see a section or two full of students doing chants and yelling at the visitor bench. Also don't forget about "Cheater!" whenever there's a foul. That was hilarious to me, and unique. By the way, the hats and the wigs...lame. :lol:

Didn't athletics CHARGE us for those shirts? I don't remember, I'll have to ask Gak, but I seem to remember getting some kind of run-around about that.

The concert/food/searchlights was made possible by the folks here at GMG.com...the majority from one contributor...and I think we (mostly Gak) lost money on that whole deal.

Dr. Suess hats? What are we pot smokers now? Put down the Wii controller...

maybe the OG's need to make an appearance and show up behind the right bench some night!

Feb. 1...Troy at The Pit...just standby listed myself for a flight home. Dearing...let's get Gak and Cody and whoever else...and show them how it's done.

But I will sit nowhere but where the PitCrew belongs.

Edited by JayDub

Well, it was my understanding the original PC was basically just a bunch of guys that got together. I'm sure Athletics was dubious of that. On the otherhand, this seemed to be spearheaded by leaders of the Greeks, Talons, and other various organizations, which no doubt gave Athletics the impression this wasn't a fly by night thing.

RHA also plays a large part, along with StuCo. This is a group of active organizations coming together to increase attendance and spirit, not one gang formed to "take down" an established organization. I'm sorry that their supporting our team runs contrary to your wanting to belittle the other team.

RHA also plays a large part, along with StuCo. This is a group of active organizations coming together to increase attendance and spirit, not one gang formed to "take down" an established organization. I'm sorry that their supporting our team runs contrary to your wanting to belittle the other team.

It wasn't to "take down" another organization, just fill the role that the other organization wasn't doing a good job of doing.

It wasn't to "take down" another organization, just fill the role that the other organization wasn't doing a good job of doing.

JACKPOT....

It wasn't a Take Down the Talons idea.... It was trying to get the excitement they put into football and bonfire brought over to the Pit. And it worked.... The Original Pit Crew showed up in force and the Talons started coming back to the games and we had some good high energy games towards the end of that season with both groups working together...

Also, If i remeber correctly we (the originals) were VERY supportive of our team and also razzed the opposing team. I remember on NUMEROUS accounts opposing coachs talking to us after the game about OUR love for our school and for the HELL we gave their team. TCU's Coach was VERY VOCAL about how he wished more of his students were and vocal as we were. Dont assume we were there just to talk shit to the other team.

Don't get me wrong, The New Pit Crew...Thats BADASS!!!! I am all for what is going on. It just kinda sucks seeing what was someone else's dream to have a hand in get booted basically then suddenly revamp with full support...

If it makes the game experience and the students better then I am all for it! Go Pit Crew...getcha a tiki bastardface though...haha

Edited by UNT_92_Fan

I'm sorry that their supporting our team runs contrary to your wanting to belittle the other team.

We gave the visiting players a ton of shit, but none of it was mean, and about 95% of them ended up laughing and talking with us. Some of them even while the game was still going on. Every visiting coach except for that tight ass from South Alabama came over and thanked us for coming out. Monty Towe from New Orleans especially loved us. The whole goal of the group was to have a lot of people there making noise, and to try and replicate a bit of what might have gone on during the Snake Pit days.

And I agree with UNT_92_Fan, another part of the goal was to get the Talons off their asses and to the games. There were points where there were as many Talons there as there was Pit Crew, sitting on either side of the court and starting North Texas chants, defense, etc. That year was starting to look like NT would start getting some basketball tradition back. The following year the Pit Crew approached the AD, and didn't receive any official support. Because of that and Gak couldn't front any more of his money, the organization folded. I'm glad to see it back with official support now, but I don't feel like, from the posts I've seen, the group gets what actually goes on in an arena like Cameron.

It was great having the pit crew there tonight!! It definitely increased the home game atmosphere. They were loud from the get go (as were I... my voice is going out!) shouting "defense" on the initial start of FAU first possession. I hope they keep coming out!!!!