TD: A risk worth taking

the real grad88

Considering all the possibilities, I say TD was a risk worth taking. Reasons: (1) We don't have the money to lure a IA coach who has truly proven himself...we've got to play with the cards we have (2) He does have a good system that will get a lot of attention from fans and recruits (3) Can anyone think of another hiring decision that has drawn more pub than this one? Everyone knows it is a risk...that is why all the excitement. If it pays off...it could be the biggest thing UNT has done in a long time for this program. If it doesn't pan out to something big, we are no worse off than we were before. It's a no brainer.

Considering all the possibilities, I say TD was a risk worth taking. Reasons: (1) We don't have the money to lure a IA coach who has truly proven himself...we've got to play with the cards we have (2) He does have a good system that will get a lot of attention from fans and recruits (3) Can anyone think of another hiring decision that has drawn more pub than this one? Everyone knows it is a risk...that is why all the excitement. If it pays off...it could be the biggest thing UNT has done in a long time for this program. If it doesn't pan out to something big, we are no worse off than we were before. It's a no brainer.

I agree with this.

One other thing: Coach Dodge has as much to lose in this as RV and UNT do. If this is his first step to a big-time college job, he needs to make a splash at this first stop. He needs the kind of success seen at Rutgers or Boise State. If he fails, its a big step back for his career.

Both he and RV are taking a chance, but the reward is just so huge that it's a risk worth taking.

One other thing: Coach Dodge has as much to lose in this as RV and UNT do. If this is his first step to a big-time college job, he needs to make a splash at this first stop. He needs the kind of success seen at Rutgers or Boise State. If he fails, its a big step back for his career.

Both he and RV are taking a chance, but the reward is just so huge that it's a risk worth taking.

Exactly...if he fails at NT, it's back to the high school ranks. He knows this. He will give it his all, that's for sure.

Here is the real question: Is there another IA coach in America with better high school contacts in Texas than Todd Dodge? I don't think so...that is really all that needs to be said.

You're partially correct. North Texas has to put Todd Dodge in position to win. If we "poor boy" the recruiting or other important ingredients to a successful program, then everyone fails.

Here is the real question: Is there another IA coach in America with better high school contacts in Texas than Todd Dodge? I don't think so...that is really all that needs to be said.

This is a great point. He does have great contacts. But the real question is what he does with the contacts. Can he generate enough interest in UNT Football to have desired recruits come to the football camps and choose UNT over other universities? I think that the answer is yes.