My NCAA Playoff System

32 Conferences (Yes, currently there are 33 + Independents, but we'd have to agree on 32 conferences).

5-week playoff tournament, four-tier elimination bracket consiting of 8 teams per bracket, a quarter-final, semi-final, and culminating in a National Championship Game.

Conference champions win automatic berth into tournament. All conferences would be required to play 10 games + a conference championship game (essentially creating a 64-team tournament while maintaining conference rivalries).

Conferences will face each other in the first round based on a central ranking committee (just like they do in Basketball). This committee may choose to keep the BCS ranking system intact for this purpose. Games will be played on the home field of the higher-ranked teams in the first and second rounds.

The semifinals and finals can maintain traditional Bowl designations (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, and Cotton) and will be played at these traditional cities.

A Bowl city will also host the championship game in a rotating system.

All money would be distributed to conferences according to final standing in the tournament, who would then be required to distribute the money evenly to all schools in that conference.

I think everyone wins here.

32 Conferences  (Yes, currently there are 33 + Independents, but we'd have to agree on 32 conferences).

5-week playoff tournament, four-tier elimination bracket consiting of 8 teams per bracket, a quarter-final, semi-final, and culminating in a National Championship Game.

Conference champions win automatic berth into tournament.  All conferences would be required to play 10 games + a conference championship game (essentially creating a 64-team tournament while maintaining conference rivalries).

Conferences will face each other in the first round based on a central ranking committee (just like they do in Basketball).  This committee may choose to keep the BCS ranking system intact for this purpose.  Games will be played on the home field of the higher-ranked teams in the first and second rounds.

The semifinals and finals can maintain traditional Bowl designations (Orange, Sugar, Fiesta, Rose, and Cotton) and will be played at these traditional cities.

A Bowl city will also host the championship game in a rotating system.

All money would be distributed to conferences according to final standing in the tournament, who would then be required to distribute the money evenly to all schools in that conference.

I think everyone wins here.

There is 32 Conferences in Basketball. Football only has 11 conferences + the Independents

16 team playoff with 11 conference winners plus 5 at large.

Leave all the minor bowl games in place for the 40+ teams that are "bowl eligable" but not able to make the cut on the playoff. Play the bowl games in between the playoffs on Saturdays.

16 teams...isn't that how D1-AA does their playoffs?

16 team playoff with 11 conference winners plus 5 at large.

Leave all the minor bowl games in place for the 40+ teams that are "bowl eligable" but not able to make the cut on the playoff. Play the bowl games in between the playoffs on Saturdays.

16 teams...isn't that how D1-AA does their playoffs?

I agree....I would treat the "lower" or "lesser" bowls the same as the NIT in basketball. I have always held to the theory that those people who are going to watch those bowls will watch them reguardless if there is a playoff, just as fans watch the NIT when the NCAA is going on.