Tim MacMahon wants Todd Dodge at UNT

MeanGreenZen

I not not against Dodge ast the moment but college coaching is very different.

High School is mostly about coaching and motivating the kids that just walk in the door.

College coach is more complex..... he must be able to recruit, which also means his public relations skills need to be good. He needs to be able to sell his program to the media and attract atttention ( HS coaches just automaticly get this from local media) Spike Dykes best asset was his public relations skills and interesting quotes and was a likabale guy. his replacement Leach is pretty bad... but he is very smart and can apparently can really teach and has a very entertaining style of play. (also important, as these GMG posts attest to)

Other than that is the usual skills a be a successful coach: teach, motivate, evaluate talent, and be able to run a program, hire capable assistants (very important).

It is unlikely to get of these in one guy but Fry got about as close as possible close. He won a lot, was liked by players, fans and media, had an extremely interesting style of play, and could really recruit. He also grew up in West Texas which usually means he would be super competitive.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at what Guz Malzhan has done for the University of Arkansas!  After being at nationally ranked Springdale High School, he is the OC at U of A and undefeated in the SEC.  Never had college coaching experience and brought in 4 SHS blue chippers!

Personally, I believe RV will hire someone from USM.

Personally, I think Dodge would be a great hire, but it would not be a smart career move for him. Also Malzhan is doing a good job at Arkansas but they are running the same old Houston Nutt plays, but the difference is from past years is that they one very good running back in Felix Jones and a great one in Darren McFadden.

SLC was very successful long before Dodge got there.  The 'tradition' at SLC started long before his tenure.  He has done a great job continuing it.

I was gonna say, Coach Ledbetter had set that tone long before Dodge was even out of college himself. Ledbetter's daughter attended NT when Harry, rcade and I were there. She and I had one of Dr. Jeff Sager's marketing classes together that year. She was a hottie. What's that got to do with this thread? Nothing, but I'll never forget the fact that she was a hottie, but simply blended in within that class because there were 4 other girls in that same class that were in that year's Miss Texas pagent.

All together now: GOD BLESS NORTH TEXAS!

Rick

Rick that's too funny - I too took a Jeff Sager marketing class and he was really an awesome professor. Young guy compared to the other professors I had. Kind of thin guy bald headed guy if I recall? I really enjoyed his class. I seem to recall him being a big Aggie fan.

There were quite a few of them hotties up there back in da day...