Baseball

MrStrange62

And tell me MediocreEagleFan what makes you happy?

I am making suggestions to improve upon what we have here and I am getting reamed for it.

When you read my posts you will see what makes me happy. Getting the Coaches in place in Football and Basketball that will make UNT the dominant force in the Sunbelt as well as OOC opponents. Dodge is a good start. With that success we build for the future. It does not happen in one year. There is not a quick "take it to the bank" solution. If you think that you can land that money man to donate millions to the program, I'm sure the school will give you a finders fee. But I do not think that it is unreasonable to get a baseball program going. And we do not need a great stadium out of the box.

BTW we should not cut other programs budgets to add to athletics.

And you probably need thicker skin. you are not necessarily getting reamed it is just that many people do not agree with your opinions. I for one am tired of you and your posts and will not reply to another.

Edited by AnotherEagleFan

When you read my posts you will see what makes me happy. Getting the Coaches in place in Football and Basketball that will make UNT the dominant force in the Sunbelt as well as OOC opponents. Dodge is a good start. With that success we build for the future. It does not happen in one year. There is not a quick "take it to the bank" solution. If you think that you can land that money man to donate millions to the program, I'm sure the school will give you a finders fee. But I do not think that it is unreasonable to get a baseball program going. And we do not need a great stadium out of the box.

BTW we should not cut other programs budgets to add to athletice.

And you probably need thicker skin. you are not necessarily getting reamed it is just that many people do not agree with your opinions. I for one am tired of you and your posts and will not reply to another.

Thats good then I will get the final word. So when you say that coaches will make UNT the dominant force in the SBC, your probably mean like a few years ago:

Sat, Aug 31 Texas at Austin, Texas 0 - 27 (L)

Sat, Sep 07 Nicholls State Denton, Texas 23 - 0 (W)

Sat, Sep 14 Alabama at Tuscaloosa, Alabama 7 - 33 (L)

Sat, Sep 21 TCU at Fort Worth, Texas 10 - 16 (L)

Sat, Sep 28 Arizona at Tuscon, Arizona 9 - 14 (L)

Sat, Oct 05 South Florida Denton, Texas 17 - 24 (L)

Sat, Oct 19 Arkansas State at Jonesboro, Arkansas 13 - 10 (W)

Sat, Oct 26 Louisiana-Lafayette at Lafayette, Louisiana 27 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 02 Louisiana-Monroe Denton, Texas 41 - 2 (W)

Sat, Nov 09 Idaho Denton, Texas 10 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 16 New Mexico State Denton, Texas 38 - 27 (W)

Sat, Nov 23 Middle Tennessee at Murfreesboro, Tennessee 30 - 20 (W)

New Orleans Bowl

Tue, Dec 17 Cincinnati at New Orleans, Louisiana 24 - 19 (W)

Or perhaps the year after that:

Sat, Aug 30 Oklahoma at Norman, Oklahoma 3 - 37 (L)

Sat, Sep 06 Baylor Denton, Texas 52 - 14 (W)

Sat, Sep 13 Air Force Academy at Air Force Academy, Colorado 21 - 34 (L)

Sat, Sep 20 Arkansas at Little Rock, Arkansas 7 - 31 (L)

Sat, Sep 27 Louisiana-Lafayette Denton, Texas 44 - 23 (W)

Sat, Oct 11 Idaho at Moscow, Idaho 24 - 14 (W)

Sat, Oct 18 Utah State Denton, Texas 37 - 27 (W)

Sat, Oct 25 Middle Tennessee at Murfreesboro, Tennessee 33 - 28 (W)

Thu, Oct 30 Troy Denton, Texas 21 - 0 (W)

Sat, Nov 08 Louisiana-Monroe at Monroe, Louisiana 28 - 26 (W)

Sat, Nov 15 Arkansas State Denton, Texas 58 - 14 (W)

Tue, Nov 25 New Mexico State at Las Cruces, New Mexico 13 - 10 (W)

New Orleans Bowl

Tue, Dec 16 Memphis at New Orleans, Louisiana 17 - 27 (L)

So what exactly are you waiting for? We have already had that success and we didn't capitalize on it, so what you are waiting to happen? The question is, if we get there what are we going to do next? That is my point, we have already dominated the SBC conference and yes we can do it again.

Obviously

hey daddy-

just curious... seeing how your bashing students who have to fork over cash for athletics if they like it or not. what are YOU doing to make this program better?

Mr. Strange,

I'll be honest, I haven't given a dime to UNT, other than for NTExes. And many of the Alumni that I have talked to haven't either.

Why is that do you think?

I am not bashing anyone, rather making suggestions for how we could further our ahtletic dept. Yes I know I know, if I gave that would help...right?? You're probably right but my donations are not going to influence or help even a little bit.

I feel that many people, alumni and students, dont give a rip one way or another about UNT. I joined GMG because I thought that perhaps this is where the DIEHARD NT fans were gathering. And I wanted to become one with them. I am let down now as I feel that some (not all) dream so small for this School, if they even dream at all. We need to Dream BIGGER...I want to compete with the BIG BOYS, have national recognition, sold out stadiums, UNT pride. If UNT and other fans shared this same vision then I would write my check today. BUT they do not.

They say be patient, wait, it takes time...Some want to dominate the SBC...I have been there done that with UNT and nothing positive happened with it. Lets take this ship further to see what she can do.

I am sincerely asking: What do we want UNT to accomplish? Then ask yourself, Why do I want them to accomplish that? Then ask, Where do you all as DIEHARD fans want UNT to be in the next few years?

Mr. Strange,

I'll be honest, I haven't given a dime to UNT, other than for NTExes. And many of the Alumni that I have talked to haven't either.

Why is that do you think?

I am not bashing anyone, rather making suggestions for how we could further our ahtletic dept. Yes I know I know, if I gave that would help...right?? You're probably right but my donations are not going to influence or help even a little bit.

I feel that many people, alumni and students, dont give a rip one way or another about UNT. I joined GMG because I thought that perhaps this is where the DIEHARD NT fans were gathering. And I wanted to become one with them. I am let down now as I feel that some (not all) dream so small for this School, if they even dream at all. We need to Dream BIGGER...I want to compete with the BIG BOYS, have national recognition, sold out stadiums, UNT pride. If UNT and other fans shared this same vision then I would write my check today. BUT they do not.

They say be patient, wait, it takes time...Some want to dominate the SBC...I have been there done that with UNT and nothing positive happened with it. Lets take this ship further to see what she can do.

I am sincerely asking: What do we want UNT to accomplish? Then ask yourself, Why do I want them to accomplish that? Then ask, Where do you all as DIEHARD fans want UNT to be in the next few years?

you are the one talking about getting money to build a new facility but you dont donate money. good thinking. that helps.

Then please explain further as to why the Alumni are all of a sudden going to start giving to the University. See the problem is that the people with the money are waiting for a reason to give and other people are saying give and we'll make a reason. To get something accomplished we all have to be on the same page. Yes there is a little piece of the tuition pie that goes to each dept. Unfortunately right now the Jazz/Music school gets most of the money and that is the problem. Either we sacrifice some of the funds that goes to that program and face that maybe the program will dwindle or we raise $50 a semester per student. If you think that you can really feel a $50 hike, you're crazy. If you think people will transfer schools because of it, you're crazy. If you think people wont choose UNT, because of it, you're crazy. Those are our options.

If you want to succeed it has to come from somewhere. And I still think that most parents pay for tuition but then again I forgot that UNT is a commuter school and probably most people work. But even still I think its probably a 65/35 split.

I'll say this once, and be done with it - listen carefully: NORTH TEXAS IS NOT A COMMUTER SCHOOL!

It's that mentality that keeps North Texas from aspiring to greater things. The North Texas housing community is alive and thriving, I can assure you. When I lived in housing 3 years ago, the residence halls were always full. My sister is a freshman now, and the halls are still full. In fact, they are building new residence halls as we speak. /rant

I don't know from where you pull these statistics you keep throwing out, but what makes you think that the College of Music gets most of the money? The Engineering school recently received a $1.2 million donation, the Biology department received a $1-2 million gift, just to name a few. And these donations were both fairly recent. Not to say that these departments receive large sums of money all the time, but I don't recall reading anytime in the recent past about a multi-million dollar donation to the COM.

Alumni in the past haven't donated to the university because no one reached out to them. And when alumni were contacted, they were hoarded by the academic development groups - athletics was told to go find their own list. Also, there was a larger disconnect between students and the university. The hard work by Rick Villareal, the Freshman Orientation developers, and the Greek/Housing organizations (and SGA) have significantly reduced that gap. As students connect with the university, they feel more of an obligation to support it once they are financially stable. For instance, my husband, brother-in-law, and I are all fairly recent grads ('03 for my husband and brother-in-law, and '04 and '06 for me). We all lived on campus and fell in love with the university. Only now are we all becoming financially stable enough to support the university, and we are doing so. And there are many more like us. The DFW area alone has more than 100,000 North Texas alumni. There are only 35,000 students enrolled at North Texas. Why put the burden on the fewer, who have less to spend in the first place?

I'm projecting here, but doesn't it make more sense to call upon the alumni, who have more to give, but yet need to give (per person) less than the alumni? I've no math degree, but it seems that it would be better that way. Why take more money from the college student, so that when they graduate they have less money for startup?

If every alum donated $100, we'd be $10,000,000 closer to having a new football stadium. Christ, we could even have one of the top college baseball stadiums in the country with that money. Saying, "Oh it won't help," is just a lame excuse for being cheap.

I agree. But then again what reason does the Alumni have to give? To support what?

you want my opinion, we should start a baseball team and share a field, save up some money for a few years to build the facilities that we are in need of. not something that will never get full. that will just be a waste of money. it doesnt have to be huge just big enough to fit the fans that are going to the games.

you want my opinion, we should start a baseball team and share a field, save up some money for a few years to build the facilities that we are in need of. not something that will never get full. that will just be a waste of money. it doesnt have to be huge just big enough to fit the fans that are going to the games.

the only problem i have with this idea, is that the program is never going to grow. if we share a field with denton ryan, we will never get qaulity recruits, people wont want to come watch a game at a high school, and eventually the program will fizzle out. im not saying i want a 10 million dollar stadium tomorrow. im saying i would be more than happy with us waiting (yes, even till after the football stadium is built) and then get the program running. have our own stadium, that can be expanded... and grow from there.

I'll say this once, and be done with it - listen carefully: NORTH TEXAS IS NOT A COMMUTER SCHOOL!

UNT IS a commuter school, I dont like it but it is. I lived in the dorms my Freshman and .5 my soph. year and I came from Austin. Why dont you ask your sister what happens on Friday's after class gets out...or does she not know because she is one of the 'fans' that goes home every weekend...The dorms clear out leaving about 40% of the people here on the weekends. It's depressing for those that cant go home each weekend. Trust me, I want that to change too.

It's that mentality that keeps North Texas from aspiring to greater things. The North Texas housing community is alive and thriving, I can assure you. When I lived in housing 3 years ago, the residence halls were always full. My sister is a freshman now, and the halls are still full. In fact, they are building new residence halls as we speak. /rant

I agree.

I don't know from where you pull these statistics you keep throwing out, but what makes you think that the College of Music gets most of the money? The Engineering school recently received a $1.2 million donation, the Biology department received a $1-2 million gift, just to name a few. And these donations were both fairly recent. Not to say that these departments receive large sums of money all the time, but I don't recall reading anytime in the recent past about a multi-million dollar donation to the COM.

The statistics come from my good friend who works for the athletic dept. I do believe he is a credible source. He knew about TD and couldn't say anything before many people. I also was not talking about donations, I was talking about how the tuition pool gets split up.

Alumni in the past haven't donated to the university because no one reached out to them. And when alumni were contacted, they were hoarded by the academic development groups - athletics was told to go find their own list. Also, there was a larger disconnect between students and the university. The hard work by Rick Villareal, the Freshman Orientation developers, and the Greek/Housing organizations (and SGA) have significantly reduced that gap. As students connect with the university, they feel more of an obligation to support it once they are financially stable. For instance, my husband, brother-in-law, and I are all fairly recent grads ('03 for my husband and brother-in-law, and '04 and '06 for me). We all lived on campus and fell in love with the university. Only now are we all becoming financially stable enough to support the university, and we are doing so. And there are many more like us. The DFW area alone has more than 100,000 North Texas alumni. There are only 35,000 students enrolled at North Texas. Why put the burden on the fewer, who have less to spend in the first place?

Good point. So do you think that a mere phone call is going to all of a sudden make the Alumni want to donate? It's not about putting the burden (if it is indeed a burden to support) on one person, its about sharing the burdens. 100,000 * 100 = $10M but also $50 semester hike * 35,000 = $1.75M. There you go.

I'm projecting here, but doesn't it make more sense to call upon the alumni, who have more to give, but yet need to give (per person) less than the alumni? I've no math degree, but it seems that it would be better that way. Why take more money from the college student, so that when they graduate they have less money for startup?

Nice projection. Have you talked to the alumni and asked them why they dont give? I recently showed my place to a man and women UNT alum and I mentioned that I was going to the last game DD would play and if they were coming. They said 'we gave up on NT football. We had never missed a game until this last season when we looked at the direction of the program and the lack of progress we decided not to go anymore'. I was able to try to encourage them a little but how do we reach these alumni? I'm asking because I'll do it, not to merely make a point btw.

Thanks Recman. Thats what I was wanting. Nice suggestion, I agree. We also need to think about future growth potential as well.

the only problem i have with this idea, is that the program is never going to grow. if we share a field with denton ryan, we will never get qaulity recruits, people wont want to come watch a game at a high school, and eventually the program will fizzle out. im not saying i want a 10 million dollar stadium tomorrow. im saying i would be more than happy with us waiting (yes, even till after the football stadium is built) and then get the program running. have our own stadium, that can be expanded... and grow from there.

Good point Mr. Strange.

Do we wait to build the baseball stadium until our football program is built up, or do we just build a field that we can play on now and attract a few fans but we can now say that we have a baseball team? And, if we wait until our football program is built up we might be in a different conference by the time its time to start putting money in a baseball program. Thoughts?

Good point Mr. Strange.

Do we wait to build the baseball stadium until our football program is built up, or do we just build a field that we can play on now and attract a few fans but we can now say that we have a baseball team? And, if we wait until our football program is built up we might be in a different conference by the time its time to start putting money in a baseball program. Thoughts?

to me waiting really is the only option. hopefully after a football stadium is up, and dodge has helped not only the football program but all athletics overall get better recognition we will be at a place where starting a baseball program and a new stadium will be an easy natural progression. heres hoping!