Baseball

MrStrange62

ok first of all why do yall have to bring up tcu. they are a private school and have enough money to nice stadiums, so just get tcu and ut and atm out of your minds. that is just stupid to compare us to them. get a program started and show some support and thing will fall into place.

if i didnt know what was going on in here i would think that you would and to change the name of the university to University of North Texas Christian University.

damn we a north texas, have you seen how many people go to games for the other sports. we can barely fill up a third of the stadiums we already have and everyone wants to build bigger stadiums. why dont we fill these stadiums up first and support our teams now and you know what the school might recognize that and look into starting new programs.

ok first of all why do yall have to bring up tcu. they are a private school and have enough money to nice stadiums, so just get tcu and ut and atm out of your minds. that is just stupid to compare us to them. get a program started and show some support and thing will fall into place.

if i didnt know what was going on in here i would think that you would and to change the name of the university to University of North Texas Christian University.

damn we a north texas, have you seen how many people go to games for the other sports. we can barely fill up a third of the stadiums we already have and everyone wants to build bigger stadiums. why dont we fill these stadiums up first and support our teams now and you know what the school might recognize that and look into starting new programs.

i do agree that we dont fill up the places we have now.... but i really believe that the "if you build it they will come" thing will happen here. look at what the arizona cardinals did. our facilities (ie fouts) are pretty bad. if we build something that ppl wil be proud of, i have confidence they will show.

Texas A&M

Olsen Field (7,053)

olsenfield.jpg

Houston

Cougar Field (3,500)

coug-fld-05-450.jpg

Rice

Reckling Park (5,227)

DSCF0008.JPG

Middle Tennessee State

New Stadium (??) - Opening for 2008

530-stadiumabove.jpg

Florida Atlantic

Dolphin Stadium (36,331) or FAU Stadium...conflicting info - Currently in the middle of a capital campaign to build a 5,200+ seat stadium

Can't find pics of their current stadium if it's FAU Stadium

East Carolina

Clark-LeClair Stadium (3,000)

300px-Clark_LeClair_Stadium.jpg

Memphis

Nat Buring Stadium (1,200)

nat-baseball-field-03.jpg

Southern Miss

Pete Taylor Park (3,678)

taylor-park-500.jpg

Tulane

Turchin Stadium (4000+)

Couldn't find a concrete number for capacity, just over 4,000. The stadium is currently undergoing a $1.5 million reconstruction/expansion project for the 2007 season.

North Texas

?? (??)

MajorField1.jpg

Edited by ColoradoEagle

HA HA...that is the funniest thing I have seen all day, even though its only 9 am.

I say we start getting a team together now and RV can start making false promises of a baseball stadium to get them all excited. Then in a few years when the program has dwindled down get a new coach....kinda like they do all the other sports.

They promised the swim team a new swimming pool. What did they get?? The rec center pool with removable bleachers. The swimmers cant even practice in there without swimming with the lap swimmers.

I think some of the decisions RV and the AD has made to cut some corners and save some pennies has really been detrimental to all the athletic programs. We dont have a nice swimming facility to attract new top recruits. We should build nicer facilities (baseball, football, swimming, volleyball) and just raise tuition.

Has anyone seen the volleyball facility? its a HS gym. when the girls play volleyball the ball 1/5 times bounces off the roof. It's PATHETIC. If we are going to be competitive and show everyone we're serious, we need to fork up some cash for these nicer facilities. Instead what we do it save a bunch of money and build something that in 5 yrs in obsolete. Poor decision making if you ask me.

So here becomes the question: Do we build a baseball program w/ a stadium or a new Football stadium first?

HA HA...that is the funniest thing I have seen all day, even though its only 9 am.

I say we start getting a team together now and RV can start making false promises of a baseball stadium to get them all excited. Then in a few years when the program has dwindled down get a new coach....kinda like they do all the other sports.

They promised the swim team a new swimming pool. What did they get?? The rec center pool with removable bleachers. The swimmers cant even practice in there without swimming with the lap swimmers.

I think some of the decisions RV and the AD has made to cut some corners and save some pennies has really been detrimental to all the athletic programs. We dont have a nice swimming facility to attract new top recruits. We should build nicer facilities (baseball, football, swimming, volleyball) and just raise tuition.

Has anyone seen the volleyball facility? its a HS gym. when the girls play volleyball the ball 1/5 times bounces off the roof. It's PATHETIC. If we are going to be competitive and show everyone we're serious, we need to fork up some cash for these nicer facilities. Instead what we do it save a bunch of money and build something that in 5 yrs in obsolete. Poor decision making if you ask me.

So here becomes the question: Do we build a baseball program w/ a stadium or a new Football stadium first?

Obviously a baseball stadium would be much cheaper and we can make a great one without spending a butt load. I think Baseball is important and you are adding yet another sport to the athletics program...i mean its baseball....everyone should have baseball. I think athletics should be a complete school at unt and if it doesnt have baseball then something just seems weird about it. As far as the football stadium....thats a big turd that has to be reckon with and I think its a work in progress...I think over time funding will become available for that stadium but I dont think we should sacrifice baseball for the stadium at this very moment...I mean it may be another 5 or 7 years before be break ground on the new fb stadium.

Obviously you are not a student or do not pay tuition. Graduate students are paying close to 3000 for 3 classes and undergraduates are paying close to 3500. Most students are having a hard enough time paying for school right now. And you want to raise tuition to build new stadiums. Right then you really wouldnt have students going to games to support the teams they already have. And for your information the rec center pool might not be the best pool for swim meets but it is getting the job done for now. It is closed during swim team practices so no they arent swimming around lap swimmers. And if I remember correctly that most pools have removable bleachers, its called safety precautions. they even have them at the Olympics.

Obviously you are not a student or do not pay tuition. Graduate students are paying close to 3000 for 3 classes and undergraduates are paying close to 3500. Most students are having a hard enough time paying for school right now. And you want to raise tuition to build new stadiums. Right then you really wouldnt have students going to games to support the teams they already have. And for your information the rec center pool might not be the best pool for swim meets but it is getting the job done for now. It is closed during swim team practices so no they arent swimming around lap swimmers. And if I remember correctly that most pools have removable bleachers, its called safety precautions. they even have them at the Olympics.

No your correct I have graduated. Thank the Lord. But when you compare the cost of UNT to other schools, we are one of the cheapest schools in the state. No wonder we have no money for athletics. Raise tuition a minimal amount and there is the money that is needed for new facilities.

And you say that most students are having a hard enough time paying for school....we all know that most students parents pay for their school. I for one had to put my way through college and am now paying off my loans. Would I have minded a $5 p/hr hike in order to go watch a new baseball program or watch my school in a state of the art stadium? Not at all. Maybe if people knew what they were paying for they would partake in it.

Please dont be so quick to the defense I was just making a statement. It's easy to sit back and just look at the positives and say everything is fine. But in reality they aren't.

My GF is on the swim team Rec and I hear first hand what they think of the 'new' swimming facility. You say its getting the 'job done' and what job is that? When will UNT stop building things to 'get the job done' and start building things thinking of competing for the future? They were promised a place to compete and practice, a nice place. What happened? they added a pool in the Rec center, which they were prob. going to do anyway, the only difference is now the girls have a locker room. Which by the way is way too small.

I love and support UNT but it seems for things to get better problems have to arrise. If no one addresses the problems then things wont change.

Guys.... Saying that we are going to build a field with metal bleachers for baseball is not the same as the decision for fouts. Almost all of the nice college baseball stadiums that I have been to started with at nice field and metal bleachers. This includes Mississippi State who holds the record for largest regular season crowd and TCU here locally. When the stadium is built the bleachers are moved down the basepath for additional seating.

BTW, the TCU stadium was built just a few years ago. Before that TCU had metal bleachers. Another stadium that was posted is the staduim at So. Miss. BTW RV I believe was very instrumental in going from bleachers (late 80's) to a stadium (90's). They are know building sky boxes.

The important aspect is to build a nice field. It is not as easy as throwing dirt out. The first priority is to build a football stadium. AS much as I love baseball we have to focus on basketball and football.

No your correct I have graduated. Thank the Lord. But when you compare the cost of UNT to other schools, we are one of the cheapest schools in the state. No wonder we have no money for athletics. Raise tuition a minimal amount and there is the money that is needed for new facilities.

And you say that most students are having a hard enough time paying for school....we all know that most students parents pay for their school. I for one had to put my way through college and am now paying off my loans. Would I have minded a $5 p/hr hike in order to go watch a new baseball program or watch my school in a state of the art stadium? Not at all. Maybe if people knew what they were paying for they would partake in it.

Please dont be so quick to the defense I was just making a statement. It's easy to sit back and just look at the positives and say everything is fine. But in reality they aren't.

My GF is on the swim team Rec and I hear first hand what they think of the 'new' swimming facility. You say its getting the 'job done' and what job is that? When will UNT stop building things to 'get the job done' and start building things thinking of competing for the future? They were promised a place to compete and practice, a nice place. What happened? they added a pool in the Rec center, which they were prob. going to do anyway, the only difference is now the girls have a locker room. Which by the way is way too small.

I love and support UNT but it seems for things to get better problems have to arrise. If no one addresses the problems then things wont change.

What years were you in school? If you were in school for the 2002-2003 school year, you'd remember the tremendous uproar from the student body when they raised the athletics fee. And, contrary to your beliefs, few students' parents pay for college, at least from the people I knew. Yes, we're all aware that we don't have the state-of-the-art facilities that some other schools enjoy. I'm sorry that you didn't get to experience the godzillatron.

daddy dumpsalot,

i would like to know where you got you information about school tuition and what schools you are looking at. and if you say baylor, atm, ut, smu and tcu. those are the elite schools in the state and of course we are going to be cheaper than them. three of those are private so can charge what they want and the other two are known nationally for there academics. UNT is known for their art department, i think. wow. thats impressive.

you are wanting to raise tuition for what reason, to build a new stadium, but there is not a established program. the athletic department has not done anything to raise any money, at least made it known to the students. i would rather give money to the athletic department than to a general fund that athletics might never see. and i am pretty sure that if you would survey the students and ask if they would approve the school raising tuition so that athletics can build a new stadium for any sport that you would get a majority of no's.

there are many schools that dont have very much money in their athletic budget but they have nice fields and uniforms. the reason is they appreciate what they have and work hard at keeping it in the best condition. they also take care of the money that they do have instead of build practice fields that without lights, come on how smart was that. the intramural fields that are being built right next to the practice fields are going to be nicer than that, they will at least have lights.

daddy dumpsalot,

i would like to know where you got you information about school tuition and what schools you are looking at. and if you say baylor, atm, ut, smu and tcu. those are the elite schools in the state and of course we are going to be cheaper than them. three of those are private so can charge what they want and the other two are known nationally for there academics. UNT is known for their art department, i think. wow. thats impressive.

you are wanting to raise tuition for what reason, to build a new stadium, but there is not a established program. the athletic department has not done anything to raise any money, at least made it known to the students. i would rather give money to the athletic department than to a general fund that athletics might never see. and i am pretty sure that if you would survey the students and ask if they would approve the school raising tuition so that athletics can build a new stadium for any sport that you would get a majority of no's.

there are many schools that dont have very much money in their athletic budget but they have nice fields and uniforms. the reason is they appreciate what they have and work hard at keeping it in the best condition. they also take care of the money that they do have instead of build practice fields that without lights, come on how smart was that. the intramural fields that are being built right next to the practice fields are going to be nicer than that, they will at least have lights.

Why dont you just look at the few things that UNT boasts about. Pull a brochure and you will see they say they have one of the lowest costs of tuition in the state. Look at Tx. state, TTU, or the rest of the major colleges listed above.

There has never been a tuition hike strictly for 'athletics' we raise our tuition when the rest of the public universities decide to.

Recgirl let me ask you this. How are we going to establish a program if we dont invest any money in it? What magical thing is going to happen to make everyone want to start donating money? Exactly. Everyone wants something better but no one is willing to pay for it. Its a fact, if you want nicer things they will cost somewhere. Of course no one is going to say heck yes lets raise tuition, but ask them if they want a new stadium and a program that can compete they should say yes. But at UNT we have people like you which will say no because they dont want to fork over the extra $50 a semester to pay for it.

I am so sick of everyone bashing someone for bringing up an idea of how to get our athletic programs to competitive levels. So next time you open your little mouth why dont you suggest something better???

And please give me an example of a school with money but nice fields and uniforms (if that even matters). Who cares if we have a nice field if we dont have a good program to go along with it and we're not getting the recruits needed? Man XX school sucks, yeah but they sure do have nice fields...and lights too.

Bottom line, if your happy with where NT athletics are right now then fine, but if want it to be state of the art, its going to take money. Alums need to give and so do the students.

Why dont you just look at the few things that UNT boasts about. Pull a brochure and you will see they say they have one of the lowest costs of tuition in the state. Look at Tx. state, TTU, or the rest of the major colleges listed above.

There has never been a tuition hike strictly for 'athletics' we raise our tuition when the rest of the public universities decide to.

Recgirl let me ask you this. How are we going to establish a program if we dont invest any money in it? What magical thing is going to happen to make everyone want to start donating money? Exactly. Everyone wants something better but no one is willing to pay for it. Its a fact, if you want nicer things they will cost somewhere. Of course no one is going to say heck yes lets raise tuition, but ask them if they want a new stadium and a program that can compete they should say yes. But at UNT we have people like you which will say no because they dont want to fork over the extra $50 a semester to pay for it.

I am so sick of everyone bashing someone for bringing up an idea of how to get our athletic programs to competitive levels. So next time you open your little mouth why dont you suggest something better???

And please give me an example of a school with money but nice fields and uniforms (if that even matters). Who cares if we have a nice field if we dont have a good program to go along with it and we're not getting the recruits needed? Man XX school sucks, yeah but they sure do have nice fields...and lights too.

Bottom line, if your happy with where NT athletics are right now then fine, but if want it to be state of the art, its going to take money. Alums need to give and so do the students.

daddy dipshit,

your not even worth arguing with, your points arent even tangible. and i dont think you have your facts straight. i am pretty sure that most schools say that they have one of the cheapest tuitions in the state.

all i have heard you say is raise tuition and build state of the art facilities. that builds good teams. smart idea. all i want to see is a good program. they could play at a high school field and i would go and watch.

I've generally agreed with you on most of the things you have said dumpsalot but I am going to have to disagree with you on the whole thing that "most parents pay for the kid's education." That is not true one bit...most have to work their way through school and/or work and go to school and at the same time take student loans every year. As far as athletics is concerned you are right...if we are going to build it then we need to build it right without any questions. I have a few friends that go to TTU and they said that an athletics fee is part of their regular tuition which is like 50 or 100 bucks a semester and all students pay for it no matter what. And basically all of the sporting events for students is free cuz its kinda calculated in the tuition anyway. I am sure there is a way. We need a combination of a tuition hike AND some donors that are willing to get this total makeover started. We want to be big time but we dont wanna step forward and lead the march. Something has to be done here...atleast dumpsalot tries to give ideas and light a buzz to people that may not care. I cant say I have all the answers but I know it can easily be done...its not a matter if WE CAN do it...its really a matter if WE WANT to do it.

I've generally agreed with you on most of the things you have said dumpsalot but I am going to have to disagree with you on the whole thing that "most parents pay for the kid's education." That is not true one bit...most have to work their way through school and/or work and go to school and at the same time take student loans every year. As far as athletics is concerned you are right...if we are going to build it then we need to build it right without any questions. I have a few friends that go to TTU and they said that an athletics fee is part of their regular tuition which is like 50 or 100 bucks a semester and all students pay for it no matter what. And basically all of the sporting events for students is free cuz its kinda calculated in the tuition anyway. I am sure there is a way. We need a combination of a tuition hike AND some donors that are willing to get this total makeover started. We want to be big time but we dont wanna step forward and lead the march. Something has to be done here...atleast dumpsalot tries to give ideas and light a buzz to people that may not care. I cant say I have all the answers but I know it can easily be done...its not a matter if WE CAN do it...its really a matter if WE WANT to do it.

Students at North Texas already pay an athletics fee. And it's somewhere between $75-$100 per semester, last I recall. If you look at the tuition breakdown available either via your own tuition, or via the school Web site, you'll find the fee. Students also pay an international fee for study abroad programs, a wellness center fee, a library fee, and all manner of fees. And they pay all these fees no matter what. I don't think the tuition hike is the answer - North Texas raises tuition every year already. One year I was in school, they raised it 30% from the previous year. It's a major strain on pocketbooks already, so I think the majority of athletics funding should come from the alumni.

Students at North Texas already pay an athletics fee. And it's somewhere between $75-$100 per semester, last I recall. If you look at the tuition breakdown available either via your own tuition, or via the school Web site, you'll find the fee. Students also pay an international fee for study abroad programs, a wellness center fee, a library fee, and all manner of fees. And they pay all these fees no matter what. I don't think the tuition hike is the answer - North Texas raises tuition every year already. One year I was in school, they raised it 30% from the previous year. It's a major strain on pocketbooks already, so I think the majority of athletics funding should come from the alumni.

Then please explain further as to why the Alumni are all of a sudden going to start giving to the University. See the problem is that the people with the money are waiting for a reason to give and other people are saying give and we'll make a reason. To get something accomplished we all have to be on the same page. Yes there is a little piece of the tuition pie that goes to each dept. Unfortunately right now the Jazz/Music school gets most of the money and that is the problem. Either we sacrifice some of the funds that goes to that program and face that maybe the program will dwindle or we raise $50 a semester per student. If you think that you can really feel a $50 hike, you're crazy. If you think people will transfer schools because of it, you're crazy. If you think people wont choose UNT, because of it, you're crazy. Those are our options.

If you want to succeed it has to come from somewhere. And I still think that most parents pay for tuition but then again I forgot that UNT is a commuter school and probably most people work. But even still I think its probably a 65/35 split.

daddy dipshit,

Nice. Mabye you should watch your language there young gun. I know....truth hurts. ;)

your not even worth arguing with, your points arent even tangible.

and i dont think you have your facts straight.

blah blah blah

i am pretty sure

What confidence you have in what you say.

all i have heard you say is raise tuition and build state of the art facilities.

And Recless all I have heard you do is bash other people ideas. Maybe you could list some things that could be done. We dont need more blah blah blah, we get that enough.

all i want to see is a good program. they could play at a high school field and i would go and watch.

:baby: Yes that is all anyone ever does it want want want. Yet no one makes suggestions on how to get get get. Thanks for your call....next