Baseball

MrStrange62

Did anyone actually believe that the Outlaws were going to spend millions of dollars on a stadium to play summer baseball? My guess is they thought partnering with NT would help get donations to build a stadium and NT would foot the maintenance expenses. Pure Pie in the Sky.

I hope NT gets a baseball team, but I would put that way down in the priorites. Funding baseball and some off the wall women's sport is imo not a wise use of resources at this point. NT already has enough underfunded and almost fanless programs to pay for.

The owners of the Denton Outlaws were supposed to secure funding and build the stadium with NT maintaining it.  Their funding evidentally fell through.

Yes, they wanted to build a ~$1 million baseball stadium on UNT land, but were only drawing around 200 fans to each of about 20 home games. The math said "no way", so they played at a Denton HS field this past summer. sad.gif

Did anyone actually believe that the Outlaws were going to spend millions of dollars on a stadium to play summer baseball?  My guess is they thought partnering with NT would help get donations to build a stadium and NT would foot the maintenance expenses.  Pure Pie in the Sky.

I hope NT gets a baseball team, but I would put that way down in the priorites.  Funding baseball and some off the wall women's sport is imo not a wise use of resources at this point.  NT already has enough underfunded and almost fanless programs to pay for.

They actually played at Denton Ryan, but wanted to play at Denton Guyer. Also if it were up to them they would of liked to stay at NT, but since the field was dimolished they obviously couldnt. Next year they plan to play at Lake Dallas High School, but would like to return to NT if and when we ever decide to build a stadium

Did anyone actually believe that the Outlaws were going to spend millions of dollars on a stadium to play summer baseball?  My guess is they thought partnering with NT would help get donations to build a stadium and NT would foot the maintenance expenses.  Pure Pie in the Sky.

I hope NT gets a baseball team, but I would put that way down in the priorites.  Funding baseball and some off the wall women's sport is imo not a wise use of resources at this point.  NT already has enough underfunded and almost fanless programs to pay for.

My hope is that we have the opportunity to grow all sports that provide the University the options to grow and improve levels of competition for all sports. I love baseball, and would certainly support ($$$) the program. However, I hope we also finish the projects we have started. The soccer field is still incomplete, the concession area is a muddy mess on rain days, and port o potties are not giving a sense of money, class or permanence to the program. Retaining fences are temporary PVC structures. Hope these things are already in the budget since we are due to host an SBC conference soccer tourney. Have not observed the Softball or Tennis complex up close, but during a recent soccer game and softball tourney, SB players were having to enter soccer field to go potty, so obviously bathrooms are a priority for all MGV sports. Foul balls were raining down on unsuspecting soccer fans seated in the bleachers, some work left to be done on that. Combined events overflow the MGV parking, and cars are parking in fields and among adjoining athletic offices. It appears dorm overflow parking is in the field across from the Athletic Dorm, not enough parking there either. All of this requires money, and new sports require even more. If having to choose, short of a huge donation to offset either the cost of new sports or finishing touches on facilities under way, I hope we choose to make the existing sport's facilities the best in the SBC as a priority. We still have a ways to go on that. smile.gif

why do people act like they have the inside scoop on everything.... with their "credible" sources. ooooh, arent you special with your insider knowledge  tongue.gif .   big whoop!  ill believe it when i hear from the AD.  obviously its not set in stone or we would be hearing something by now. so, take the feather out of your hat  and take off  your ph34r.gif. but i guess im just jealous that you have "sources"

I would have told you nicely, but noooooooooooo...............

Maybe I am making it all up. Let me know in two years.

Have fun waiting.

user posted image

Edited by ADLER

why do people act like they have the inside scoop on everything.... with their "credible" sources. ooooh, arent you special with your insider knowledge  tongue.gif .  big whoop!  ill believe it when i hear from the AD.  obviously its not set in stone or we would be hearing something by now. so, take the feather out of your hat  and take off  your ph34r.gif. but i guess im just jealous that you have "sources"

I dont know about all those sources, but RV himself told me that we would field a baseball team in the 2008-2009 season. I dont know if I need one of these ph34r.gif to share that info. Or you could just ask him, its no secret

I dont know about all those sources, but RV himself told me that we would field a baseball team in the 2008-2009 season. I dont know if I need one of these  ph34r.gif  to share that info. Or you could just ask him, its no secret

Someone also posted that info from the SBC meetings over the summer. ph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gifph34r.gif

• Downvote 1

The area being cleared next to the football practice field over by Victory is the site of the new baseball field.  GO GREEN*GO WHITE

?? A previous poster said that is to be rec fields. The masterplan has the baseball field next to the softball field along Bonnie Brae and across from the A/C drive entrance.

• Downvote 1

??  A previous poster said that is to be rec fields.    The masterplan has the baseball field next to the softball field along Bonnie Brae and across from the A/C drive entrance.

That's what I thought but a friend that lives in Victory said her advisor said that's the new site of the baseball field.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else hear Rusty Greer on the Hardline Friday talking about his future? Currently he is manager of the Euless Lonestars (collegiate league), but said in the next year or two he would like to move to a university, possibly one that is starting up a program.

This would be a great hire if NT could get Rusty as their first Baseball coach. Almost as big as TD getting hired. Instant Credibility.

That's what I thought but a friend that lives in Victory said her advisor said that's the new site of the baseball field.

I drove by there on Saturday. It doesn't resemble the shap of a baseball field, so I would be skeptical of that. Just speculation, but I wonder if this will be an indoor practice facility. Title IX funds could help with that since women's sports could also utilize this facility.

ok.... im on the Campus RecSports committee.... and I can assure you that the land they're digging up by victory is not a baseball field. Its supposed to be four intramural fields, and they should be completed by spring 07. Definitely not a baseball field.

I drove by there on Saturday. It doesn't resemble the shap of a baseball field, so I would be skeptical of that. Just speculation, but I wonder if this will be an indoor practice facility. Title IX funds could help with that since women's sports could also utilize this facility.

• 2 weeks later...

im with colorado on this one. after seeing the softball stadium they built... id rather wait til we have the funds to erect something that would make other sun belt schools jealous. i know we probably couldnt get something to rival TCUs field, but lets build something to be proud of, not just get the job done. as far as rusty greer... there is NO WAY he would come and coach here. last i heard he was wanting a manager spot in the rangers system. just shows that he is probably not interested in the college ranks and UNT at that.

as far as rusty greer... there is NO WAY he would come and coach here. last i heard he was wanting a manager spot in the rangers system. just shows that he is probably not interested in the college ranks and UNT at that.

Agree about the stadium. Regarding Greer, isn't he coaching in the summer wooden bat league?