Baseball

MrStrange62

im assuming that baseball is still on the way back burner for the AD, but has anyone heard any news as of recent regarding a time table?  i am sure im not the only one interested to know.

GMG!!!

As a matter of fact, good question. I'm very interested in that too. And, there are several local kids that are nearing the end of JC eligibility that might be real good players to have on a start up program. Pitchers in particular, and some with UNT interests, like girlfriend UNT students and parent alumni..... Wish we would get this one going. I think it could be like women's soccer, north Texas area is a good hotbed for club and HS baseball talent. And, I also believe there is one area coach with a significant winning record that would be a great candidate for the job. Good recruiter, placed a lot of HS kids in college programs. Would be a great guy at probably the right price for this school. Someone will get him soon, should be us! Actually 2 or 3 come to mind.......

As a matter of fact, good question. I'm very interested in that too.  And, there are several local kids that are nearing the end of JC eligibility that might be real good players to have on a start  up program.  Pitchers in particular, and some with UNT interests, like girlfriend UNT students and parent alumni..... Wish we would get this one going.  I think it could be like women's soccer, north Texas area is a good hotbed for club and HS baseball talent.  And, I also believe there is one area coach with a significant winning record that would be a great candidate for the job.  Good recruiter, placed a lot of HS kids in college programs.  Would be a great guy at probably the right price for this school.  Someone will get him soon, should be us!  Actually 2 or 3 come to mind.......

I know someone who gave $50,000 in his will to the baseball program if we have one at the time of his demise, otherwise it goes to the history dept!! So, I hope we develop one in the near future.

I know someone who gave $50,000 in his will to the baseball program if we have one  at the time of his demise, otherwise it goes to the history dept!!  So, I hope we develop one in the near future.

i hope he isnt too old... bc at the rate we are going, it might still be awhile before we get a team!

GMG!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a feeling the expenses related to the hiring of a new football coach may hurt us on this one.

Then again, the renewed excitement of the fan base may cause more donations to come into the program than would have before. But yes, baseball at NT is needed asap.

Edited by NT80

My thoughts exactly.

Some other targets- Grayson County, Paris JC, and Navarro JC, Blinn JC. Blinn is a main feeder to A& M I believe, so that kind of a pipeline could be diverted if a coach were to be recruited to UNT. I would think for North Texas area, this would be a good strategy. Find a pipeline school to the big Texas BB programs and look for that coach with necessary successful background criteria (like pitcher development, more pitcher development), and established recruiting expertise for the NT area. Being familiar with the big programs from direct working relationships, not necessarily having led one, may yield a very good coach at a reasonable price for a start up program. Step up for the Coach, and a chance to build a program from ground up. I think that model works for the Texas area, maybe not everywhere. A good JC coach in my opinion is a good choice to build a program such as this. Basically, they are rebuilding every year due to MLB drafts, and JC transfers to D-I or other programs. They have to work pretty lean, and have to be pretty good at player development to sustain quality of play. A lot of good guys are buried in the JC ranks due to limited opportunities. A school like UNT adding a program smack in the middle of a recruiting hotbed does not come along everyday. Lots of possibilities!

maybe Title IX has alot to do with us not having a baseball program... I heard that alot of schools have had to cut certain athletic programs to be able to help them fall under the Title IX Restrictions.. maybe title IX is part of the reason why they arn't really pressing to start a baseball team

Edited by Keith7

maybe Title IX has alot to do with us not having a baseball program... I heard that alot of schools have had to cut certain athletic programs to be able to help them fall under the Title IX Restrictions.. maybe title IX is part of the reason why they arn't really pressing to start a baseball team

Could be....or rather what sports they may have to open up for women up to provide equivalent. I do not profess to know the details, but I think it has to do more with # of student athletes or equal participation, but here is the detail. I think UNT is ok, I think we have more womens sports than men if my count is right, maybe someone else can confirm. Herre is the Title IX summary

ED.Gov

Could be....or rather what sports they may have to open up for women up to provide equivalent.  I do not profess to know the details, but I think it has to do more with # of student athletes or equal participation, but here is the detail.  I think UNT is ok, I think we have more womens sports than men if my count is right, maybe someone else can confirm. Herre is the Title IX summary

ED.Gov

Its by total scholarships - not sports.

That's why the best way to do it is run a big ass Equestrian program - the thing can be the size of a football team and balance your numbers much quicker than sports like bball and volleyball with smaller teams.

Its by total scholarships - not sports.

That's why the best way to do it is run a big ass Equestrian program - the thing can be the size of a football team and balance your numbers much quicker than sports like bball and volleyball with smaller teams.

can UNT afford to have start a big ass equestrian program?

I guess they can if my tuition is any indication

Guest GrayEagleOne

Your tuition has nothing to do with sports; only one of the fees does.

Actually, if we did have to add a women's sport to compensate for baseball, I'd agree that equestrian would be the way to go. Denton County has a lot of horse farms and I know one of our alums that owns one. Still, it is not a poor boy sport.

Remember, we're not talking about a lot of additional scholarships for baseball. Historically, programs have given 1/4 and 1/2 scholarships with only a few full scholarships, that mostly for pitchers.

2008-2009 school year  ph34r.gif

No, I can't tell you sources, but FFR can verify that my source is credible.

why do people act like they have the inside scoop on everything.... with their "credible" sources. ooooh, arent you special with your insider knowledge tongue.gif . big whoop! ill believe it when i hear from the AD. obviously its not set in stone or we would be hearing something by now. so, take the feather out of your hat and take off your ph34r.gif. but i guess im just jealous that you have "sources"

why do people act like they have the inside scoop on everything.... with their "credible" sources. ooooh, arent you special with your insider knowledge  tongue.gif .  big whoop!  ill believe it when i hear from the AD.  obviously its not set in stone or we would be hearing something by now. so, take the feather out of your hat  and take off  your ph34r.gif. but i guess im just jealous that you have "sources"

Ok I am not supposed to say anything but Lou Holtz is coming to coach UNT football.