FirefightnRick, was that you on the field

NT Drummer

I just KNEW it had to be something consoling - once again, you are all class.

My seats are in upper section D, so I had a close-up view of the FIU staff coming down from the press box. They all had this look of dejection on their faces - I just let them go down the steps ahead of me...

Thanks for the link. Lately there's so many posts that if you miss a couple of days, it's hard to catch up & read everything!

George Dunham said it on the radio broadcast...that this would be a devistating loss for FIU. They have 2 paycheck games left on the schedule too: Miami and Alabama.

A win by FIU would have been a BIG boost to them.

With Don Strock as coach...I can see FIU being a pretty good program in a few years.

With Don Strock as coach...I can see FIU being a pretty good program in a few years.

FIU announced Monday after the North Texas loss that current AD, Rick Mello, was being reassigned and a new guy from the Univerisity of Miami, FL was being brought in to replace. The president of FIU said the change was being made because he didn't feel there was progress in the marquee sports.

I'd say this very much puts Don Strock on the hot seat. This is his fifth year at FIU. Not many coaches who have never had a winning season last much longer than that.

Andy McCollum had two winning seasons in '00 and '01, but was fired immediately following his fourth consecutive losing season which the loss to NC State last year guaranteed. There's an eerie similarity there. At MT, the AD is asked to step down and is offered to work elsewhere in the athletic department. A new AD is brought in. In Andy's first year with the new AD he is fired following the loss to NC State which guarateed his fourth consecutive losing season.

Don't be surprised if Don Strock gets the axe following the season. It's a guarantee if the Golden Panthers go winless.

FIU is one of the most penalized teams in the country (had four or five 15 yarders against ASU), they are close to the bottom in turnovers. They missed a PAT in a one point loss at MTSU. They missed a PAT in a one point loss at South Florida and could have won that game any way but fumbled to set up USF's winning score with just over 2 minutes left. Against Maryland they had a 13 yard punt and nearly survived that but got called for a personal foul on a play when they sacked Maryland's QB on 3rd and 11, two plays later Maryland scored a TD. Then threw a pick in the end zone on their final play while trailing by 4.

FIU has issues that cannot be attributed to the AD.