Dissapointed in the Talons

MeanGreenEngineer

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, can't say I was happy to hear about the alumni voting rights taken away. 

Why?

Also, I think more alum would participate more if we actually got info from Talons. In the past 14 years, I think I received a TOTAL of 6 newsletters/emails. Im not expecting a weekly minutes, but 2 or 3 emails/newsletters a semester would be nice (expecially fall semester).

Does Talons have a website anymore? I know it has been on and off (and changed locations) in the past.

Burleigh '92

Why?

Also, I think more alum would participate more if we actually got info from Talons.  In the past 14 years, I think I received a TOTAL of 6 newsletters/emails.  Im not expecting a weekly minutes, but 2 or 3 emails/newsletters a semester would be nice (expecially fall semester).

Does Talons have a website anymore?  I know it has been on and off (and changed locations) in the past.

Burleigh  '92

http://orgs.unt.edu/talons/

A few years ago('02 perhaps) there were a series of emails they sent the alumni keeping us up to date with things. I think it lasted about a semester, and they probably just had the most recent alums on file, but I got them.

He does.  You have to first ask him into your meeting before you can find salvation.  This is why he gave you free will.  laugh.gif

1) Everyone one play nice.

2) The moment this veers into a Predeterminism vs Free Will debate, everyone gets banned, the board gets deleted, and I travel to Canada to burn down the actual servers.

wink.gifbiggrin.giftongue.giflaugh.gif

Does anyone know if the WINGS organization still exists? You know, the guys who run around in white polos and jeans and do the push-ups. Yeah, I know they are drunks but they really have a big effect in the way the Greeks of UNT look at the games. They usually throw post game party's at bars and it really brings the Greeks support to the game. I know awhile ago they got in trouble for hazing and I was unsure if they came back? All I know is as a former greek, they really made an effor to get us to the games since mos tof the UNT greeks gave two-squats about the games. Your thoughts........

All I know is as a former greek, they really made an effor to get us to the games since mos tof the UNT greeks gave two-squats about the games.  Your thoughts........

Actually I disagree that greeks give two squats. They usually have a good presence at the games. Although I am dissapointed to see some greeks still hanging out in the parking lot after the games kick off. Maybe there should be some intra-greek competition to see which fraternity has the best participation in home games??

I agree!  I know they usually pick one game to do the "Greek at the Game" deal,  but I think that should happen every game.

How do you know they aren't coming to every game? Are you walking around the stadium with a counter tallying every fraternity? What about greek alums? Do you count them also?

Don't forget we did a poll on this board some time back and I was shocked to see the percentage of greeks on this board. I want to say the percentage was over 50%.

I considered joining Talons in my first semester at UNT, in Spring 2003. I love sports, I was already planning on going to all the football and basketball games, and I figured why not join the Talons. I had heard about the great things that the Talons did under Emmitt, and it sounded like a lot of fun. But then I started looking at the organization and how the members presented themselves and acted in public, and after that I honestly just did not want to be associated with the organization. For the next almost 4 years, nothing changed and the Talons pretty much became a joke. I can say this because I missed just a handfull of games while in college, and that is what I saw with my own eyes. There were a couple of members that seemed to go to most games and try to cheer and what not, but there was no noticable presence on campus and for the most part it appeared that spirit was no longer the top priority of the organization.

Hopefully, someone will come along and pull an Emmitt and get the organization headed in the right direction. Maybe then Talons will become something that people, who are die hard fans and who want to spread spirit, will want to be apart of. In order to be a successful organization, you must have people who are fully supportive of the mission and who will put the time and work in to achieve the goals of the org. If most members are just there for socialization and do the bare minimum, if that, then things will just continue the way they are and Talons will never become what it can and should be.

UNT really, really needs a vibrant spirit organization. I really hope that things can come together for the Talons and they can start making an impact on campus.

How do you know they aren't coming to every game? Are you walking around the stadium with a counter tallying every fraternity?  What about greek alums? Do you count them also? 

Don't forget we did a poll on this board some time back and I was shocked to see the percentage of greeks on this board.  I want to say the percentage was over 50%.

I can say from experiance that there has been a very poor greek showing at basketball games for the past few seasons. How do I know? Well, when a fun time killer during time outs is to count the number of people in the student section before the game starts back up, it is pretty easy to tell who and what type of people are at the games.

I can say from experiance that there has been a very poor greek showing at basketball games for the past few seasons. How do I know? Well, when a fun time killer during time outs is to count the number of people in the student section before the game starts back up, it is pretty easy to tell who and what type of people are at the games.

Now this debate has switched to basketball? Well you are probably right about basketball. Although - attendance is so pathetic anyway I have a hard time picking out ANY fans, much less greeks. I don't know how you determine a greek type... Is it the greek letters that every fraternity brands on their foreheads? Oh right, they don't do that.

Stan R-

Relax man! I am just saying that that the Greek participation is not what it should be. I just know this from 99-03 when I attended. Why, I was president of my fraternity and also the president of the WINGS organization. I was also on NT40 and was very active in getting greeks to the game. None of them really cared back then, I am unsure what it is like now? I just think it can improve. No harm here....

Stan R-

Relax man!  I am just saying that that the Greek participation is not what it should be.  I just know this from 99-03 when I attended.  Why, I was president of my fraternity and also the president of the WINGS organization.  I was also on NT40 and was very active in getting greeks to the game.  None of them really cared back then, I am unsure what it is like now?  I just think it can improve.  No harm here....

Hey man! I'm coooool. like ice. so cold. I just think that greeks become an easy target. A whipping boy, and why? Why don't we pick on the chess team? I know for a fact that all of my TAMS friends do not attend the games.

Ok I just made that up. I don't have any TAMS friends.

Hey man! I'm coooool.  like ice. so cold.  I just think that greeks become an easy target.  A whipping boy, and why?  Why don't we pick on the chess team?  I know for a fact that all of my TAMS friends do not attend the games. 

Ok I just made that up.  I don't have any TAMS friends.

Don't lie...you know you're having the TAMS kids over for a barbecue during the Cowboy game Sunday.

Hey man! I'm coooool.  like ice. so cold.  I just think that greeks become an easy target.  A whipping boy, and why?  Why don't we pick on the chess team?  I know for a fact that all of my TAMS friends do not attend the games. 

Ok I just made that up.  I don't have any TAMS friends.

Thank goodness, I was hoping to think you were not cool!!! Your right, the greeks are a big target.

Now this debate has switched to basketball?  Well you are probably right about basketball.  Although - attendance is so pathetic anyway I have a hard time picking out ANY fans, much less greeks.  I don't know how you determine a greek type... Is it the greek letters that every fraternity brands on their foreheads?  Oh right, they don't do that.

The debate didn't switch. Basketball is the other major revenue sport and should be supported by spirit organizations, greeks, and everyone else. Unless we just love the Sun Belt and want to stay in it, that is. I know a lot of greeks, and it's pretty easy to spot a group of them. I'm sure there is a random greek or two at games, but rarely have I seen a group at basketball games. Except for the greeks at the game promoted game, and even then it is pretty pathetic how many leave at halftime.

Why don't we pick on the chess team?

There's a chess team at UNT? Why am I just now learning this? 4 years worth of prank ideas not put to use. It's sad really.

ebone... I hear ya. We're on the same team. Hey maybe the greeks were busy with the "Fab 5" redecorating their house - who knows? Basketall is a mess and I don't know how to fix the problem. It isn't the facility, that's for sure. Is it coaching? Could be. Do people in North Texas (the region) just not care about basketball? I think that the MAVS practicing at the pit will be big. I hope RV has big plans should that come to fruition.

There's the whole problem.  There needs to be a whole damn chapter about Emmitt.  You all would learn a lot.  Really.  There should also be a picture of Emmitt on a white stallion, pointing his troops into battle with Lera on a chariot in the background filing her nails or some girly crap like that.  And lighthing.  Have lightning in the background.

Post of the week, right here folks.

Does anyone know if the WINGS organization still exists?  You know, the guys who run around in white polos and jeans and do the push-ups. 

Those were pushups ? I have been in Uncle Sam's military for nigh 24 years now. I have seen pushups. I have done pushups. I have ordered others to do pushups. Sir, those were NO pushups. As I recall, they were getting regularly pwned and scoreboarded by the cheerleaders.

But at least I now know their proper name. We always just referred to them as the "Brylcreem Boyz".