FW*Telegram NT tries to avoid mind games

OldTimer

UNT tries to avoid mind gameBy TROY PHILLIPS

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DENTON - Brandon Monroe remembers playing football in front of 1,000 people on Friday nights at Electra High School, then he backs up a bit.

"I guess 1,000 is pretty generous," said Monroe, a starting linebacker for North Texas. "I just remember walking out there, seeing 85,000 people and thinking 'this is totally different.'"

Two seasons ago at Texas, Monroe was one of several UNT true freshmen to get an eyeful in their first college football game. UNT's Fouts Field already dwarfed Electra; imagine what sold-out Royal-Memorial Stadium was like.

Players such as Monroe or junior running back Jamario Thomas know what to expect this time when UNT opens at defending national champion Texas on Saturday. Others, such as true freshman center Kelvin Drake, who expects to play, won't understand starting a career at a place like Texas until they actually do it.

UNT faces the longest of odds to upset the Longhorns but hopes to improve on its 65-0 defeat of two years ago.

"Everything was happening so fast," said Thomas, who had one carry and was in on about four plays. "I couldn't hear the ball being snapped and had to go off movement. I was like, 'Yeah, these boys are big and fast.'"

Intimidation is a powerful factor in such matchups between major programs (usually at home) and small-conference teams. Mentally, it can give the favorite an automatic two- or three-touchdown edge.

For an overmatched UNT, playing well Saturday despite a loss could amount to an extension of fall camp -- a form of value-added learning.

"We're not able to ease our players into big-time college life with four cupcakes," UNT coach Darrell Dickey said, referring to an easy nonconference schedule. "We're kind of labeled as cupcakes. We're supposed to be going down there to help [Texas] ease themselves into their college scene."

On Saturday, Texas will fire up a new 7,300-square foot "Godzillatron" replay board, only adding to a visitor's mental meanderings. Two years ago, Monroe remembers somehow finding his parents in a "little patch of green" amid all the burnt orange.

"I have much more experience at this than I'd like to have," Dickey said of daunting road trips. "I tell them there's going to be all those people, just us and 300 or 400 moms or dads over in this little corner, and the band -- and you won't be able to hear the band."

Win or lose, his teams have come out better from the experience. UNT won its fourth consecutive Sun Belt Conference title in 2004, and Thomas rushed for 247 yards two weeks later at Colorado en route to the national rushing title.

No doubt, though, it'll be the first of some kind for many of UNT's players Saturday, including the first career start for sophomore quarterback Matt Phillips.

"There will be a period of time, hopefully," Dickey said, "where the young guys settle in and just line up and play, as opposed to being totally intimidated and engulfed by the circumstances."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Troy Phillips, 817-390-7760 tphillips@star-telegram.com

Yep.  It is in his nature.  He can't not do it.  Even when he tries his hardest comments like that slip out.  I wonder - does he even realize what he is doing?

I dont know but it obviously doesnt work. This whole us against the world thing is cute, but it isnt reality. Our football team has as much support or more than I have ever seen (keep in mind I am 25--- and most of our students are younger)... so I dont know what the freaking problem is.

fact is, nobody takes us serious in this game. Thats the angle he should work. They were talking about the game on the radio here in Houston this morning wondering at what point you take the starters out if you are Mack Brown- the 2nd qtr or the 3rd. That is the kind of disrespect I feed my players.

Id tell them to go out there and hit them in the f-n mouth and silence everyone that was saying UT's practice squad would be more competitive than NT.

I dont know but it obviously doesnt work. This whole us against the world thing is cute, but it isnt reality. Our football team has as much support or more than I have ever seen (keep in mind I am 25--- and most of our students are younger)... so I dont know what the freaking problem is.

fact is, nobody takes us serious in this game. Thats the angle he should work. They were talking about the game on the radio here in Houston this morning wondering at what point you take the starters out if you are Mack Brown- the 2nd qtr or the 3rd. That is the kind of disrespect I feed my players.

Id tell them to go out there and hit them in the f-n mouth and silence everyone that was saying UT's practice squad would be more competitive than NT.

Well, the only way you stop that kind of talk is with performance. Go out and make a respectible showing against UT and then beat SMU next week and the talk will die down on its own.