DRC- Jamario shines in first workout

Baby Arm!

UNT RB Thomas shines in season's first workout

DL Patton decides not to play for Mean Green

11:09 PM CDT on Monday, August 7, 2006

Brett Vito

Jamario Thomas looked a little more like the player who won a national rushing title two years ago during the opening session of North Texas fall practices on Monday.

The junior was listed in the Mean Green’s opening day roster at 210 pounds. Thomas had yet to weight in on the first day of workouts, but UNT coach Darrell Dickey estimated that Thomas had dropped 10-15 pounds since last season.

“I feel a whole lot quicker on my feet,” Thomas said. “I did a lot over the summer to keep myself in shape. I did a lot of extra running, road my bike and did a lot of lifting. I stayed in Denton over the summer.”

UNT is hoping that extra work will result in Thomas returning to his 2004 form. Thomas rushed for an average of 180.1 yards as a freshman in 2004, but struggled with a bad hamstring, added weight and finding his role while sharing the backfield with fellow former national rushing champion Patrick Cobbs last season.

Cobbs has since moved on to training camp with the New England Patriots, leaving the starting job open for Thomas to handle on his own, just like he did as a freshman. The challenge is one Thomas appeared ready to accept on the first day of practice.

Thomas caught a pass in the flat, turned up the field and weaved his way through UNT’s defensive backfield in a passing drill. At the end of workouts, Thomas was among the first in his group of running backs and other skill position players to complete a series of 100-yard dashes and looked comfortable on his hamstring.

“Jamario looks like he did as a freshman,” Dickey said.

Incoming defensive line class could be strong without Patton

Defensive lineman Tim Patton has informed the UNT coaching staff that he changed his mind about playing for the Mean Green and plans to attend another school closer to his home near Tulsa.

“When we recruited Tim we thought he was an excellent football player, and we still do,” Dickey said. “He has some issues and wanted to stay a little closer to home. We understand that and wish him well.”

Patton was one of UNT’s top-rated recruits in its 2006 signing class and was expected to challenge for playing time as a freshman.

Patton was one of two UNT freshmen who did not participate in the Mean Green’s first workout of fall practice.

Defensive end Draylen Ross was waiting for paperwork to be filed before he can begin practicing with the Mean Green. Dickey said he anticipates Ross will join the team for workouts in the next few days.

UNT still has seven defensive linemen in its 2006 freshman class that was heavy on players who could help the Mean Green on either line in the next few years.

“I am very happy with the defensive linemen who are here,” Dickey said. “There is a lot of talent in this group. They need to do some work on their conditioning, but we are very pleased.”

Freshmen arrive in solid condition

UNT got a little more than it bargained for with freshman tight end Bryant Seidle.

The former Cy-Fair standout was listed at 230 pounds when he signed with the Mean Green back in February and on the opening day roster, but actually came into camp at 245 pounds.

Seidle was just one member in a freshman class Dickey said could contribute this season.

“All I have been doing all summer is training,” Seidle said. “I know what I want and I want to help the team out in any way I can. My goal over the summer was to get ready.”

Tight end is one spot on the roster where UNT could look to its incoming recruits for help this season. The Mean Green have two seniors atop the depth chart in Beau Davidson and Robert Harmon, but often use multiple tight ends.

Dickey said he is unsure of who would emerge from the group that took a hit over the summer when sophomore Charlie Brown was lost for the year after having surgery on his shoulder.

UNT adds walk-ons at QB

UNT added eight walk-ons to its roster on the opening day of fall practice, including a pair of quarterbacks who will help fill a hole in the Mean Green’s incoming recruiting class.

UNT did not add a high school quarterback on national signing day, but opened camp with freshmen Nathan Tune of Celina and Zack McLaurin of Irving Ranchview on the roster. Tune recently played in the Texas High School Coaches Association All-Star Game.

“It was important to add a quarterback as a walk-on because we needed one in our freshman class,” Dickey said. “I was impressed with both of them.”

UNT got a little more than it bargained for with freshman tight end Bryant Seidle.

The former Cy-Fair standout was listed at 230 pounds when he signed with the Mean Green back in February and on the opening day roster, but actually came into camp at 245 pounds.

Seidle was just one member in a freshman class Dickey said could contribute this season.

“All I have been doing all summer is training,” Seidle said. “I know what I want and I want to help the team out in any way I can. My goal over the summer was to get ready.”

I met a coach from McNeese St a few months back at an Astros game. He was talking about this kid saying he was a bona fide stud, and that they were trying to recruit him until NT and a few other Div 1A's stepped into the picture.

Hoping for big things from him.