College Football News Sun Belt Preview

MeanGreen61

http://www.collegefootballnews.com/sun_bel...elt_Preview.htm

T3. North Texas

Predicted record: 4-8 Conf. record: 4-3

Best Player: RB Jamario Thomas, Jr.

Offense - The offense went into the tank last year with no production from the quarterbacks and a young, inexperienced line having all kinds of problems with its consistency. However, the running game wasn't bad and the pass protection wasn't horrible. Things should be better this year with Johnny Quinn leading a veteran receiving corps, Jamario Thomas ready to be one of the NCAA's top rushers again with a veteran line to work behind, and experienced quarterbacks that can't be any worse than they were last season.

Defense - Last year was a disaster, especially against the run, and now adjustments have been made to fit the personnel. With few good linemen to work with and several great linebacker prospects, the D will go to a 3-4 with the strength at outside linebacker thanks to Maurice Holman and Phillip Graves. Safety will also be a positive with Aaron Weathers and Steve Warren returning, but there are major concerns at corner. The front three has to be much, much stronger against the run after allowing 221 yards per game.

This season will be a success if … North Texas wins the Sun Belt title. It'll be a major, major accomplishment considering the conference road schedule, but after the past success, nothing else but a trip to the New Orleans Bowl will do.

I don't agree with their prediction that the Sun Belt will not win ANY OOC games.  I believe NT will win at least one against Tusla, Akron, SMU or LaTech...

if we do not win at least 2 of those games I consider it another OOC failure. We could not ask for a better OOC schedule

FIU!? Whatever.

I'm going ULL, ASU then North Texas.

I'm totally in agreement. Picking them 2nd kills all credibility for me. Plus, look at this little note they have about FIU:

" This season will be a success if … FIU finishes second in the Sun Belt race. It'll go into the season dreaming of winning the title, but there's not enough depth and there's still a D-IAA level of overall talent that'll keep the promising team from falling just short of its goal."

Now they say our seaon will be a success if we win the title and that anything short of that will do but we're supposed to finish behind a team that has "not enough depth" to win the title?

Guest GrayEagleOne

" This season will be a success if … FIU finishes second in the Sun Belt race. It'll go into the season dreaming of winning the title, but there's not enough depth and there's still a D-IAA level of overall talent that'll keep the promising team from falling just short of its goal."

/quote]

That wasn't the part that upset me, Emmitt, it was the last half of that statement. If they still have a Division 1AA level of talent, what does that say about the six that are supposed to finish behind them? Now, that really loses credibility.