Now what?

H-towngreen

This is for some of the guys who are in the know:

With Gilmore gone that brings up questions with the 3-4 D now installed. How often were we planning on using it? Was it going to be out base D? WIth Gilmore gone who will take over his spot? Although we do have plenty of depth at LB how much does this change out plans to use it? I could go on and on.

With Gilmore out, I'd take a long look at Brandon Monroe. Once you guys get a look at how ripped he is, it'll shock you. Proportionally, he might be the most muscular guy on the team. And he is quick and smart enough to play the coverage game, as well.

It's not like we are short of LB talent? Move Shawn Early inside, and dont rule out how far Colt Mahan has come. He is fast, has put on muscle, and was playing very well in the spring. I think we have more than enough talent to run the 3-4. Eddie will be missed, but we have others who can play the outside. I also agree that Monroe would be a potential play-maker at that spot.

GMG!!!

MedPilot is right. We are by no means short of LB talent. Consider this like an injury during the season if that had happened would we have switched to the 4-3? No because we have alot more talented LBers than we have D-Linemen. basically we went to this set so we can use a smaller rotation of D-Linemen and don't have to drop so far down in talent when one of our better linemen is out. You may see some drop in play when one of the starting LBers sits for a play or a series but nothing like you would see on the line if we were in a 4-3 all game (see last year for emphasis).

Couple of thoughts -

They won't know about Shawn's mobility until 2-a-days. As of Spring he was not 100%.

Ransom could potentially play the outside but he hasn't been in Denton this Summer and it concerns me if he will have a learning curve to learn that position. He also did not participate in the Spring.

With Gilmore out, I'd take a long look at Brandon Monroe.  Once you guys get a look at how ripped he is, it'll shock you.  Proportionally, he might be the most muscular guy on the team.  And he is quick and smart enough to play the coverage game, as well.

So Gilmore is definitely a no-go? Is this grades or personal issues?

Grades. The good news is he has a redshirt year since he lettered last season as a true freshman. He can take this year to hit the books and weightroom and will have 3-years of eligibility remaining.

Grades.  The good news is he has a redshirt year since he lettered last season as a true freshman.  He can take this year to hit the books and weightroom and will have 3-years of eligibility remaining.

Let's hope he chooses this route takes responsibility and not pull a Ramonce Taylor and run off with his tail tucked when he did not do his part.

With Gilmore out, I'd take a long look at Brandon Monroe.  Once you guys get a look at how ripped he is, it'll shock you.  Proportionally, he might be the most muscular guy on the team.  And he is quick and smart enough to play the coverage game, as well.

Should you consider changing your handle to Moaner?

I keed I keed.

Quoner does he meet the requirments?

If NT has the players, it would be a good idea to go to a base 4-2-5 defense because opponents tend to use three wide receivers on the majority of plays. More and more teams are using light linebackers that could double as an extra saftey (rovers).

Hardly anyone uses odd fronts of three or five men on defensive line of scrimmage any more because of the spread passing attacks. Five men rushing leaves too few pass defenders and three men gives the quarterback too much time. Most teams rush four with lbs, corners, and safeties trying to disguise who will blitz and where it will come from, if anywhere. This is more to confuse the offensive linemen than the quarterback.