Enlongated version of Vito Brittani Bailey

Harry

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/...p.3e7d2ff4.html

Basketball: UNT picks up recruit for its 2007-08 class

09:21 AM CDT on Sunday, July 9, 2006

By Brett Vito / Staff Writer

North Texas locked up one of the top young frontcourt players in South Texas recently for its 2007 recruiting class that now includes two players.

Brittani Bailey, a 6-2 post, said Friday that she has orally committed to play for the Mean Green beginning in the 2007-08 season. Bailey will begin her senior season at Alvin this fall.

Oral commitments are non-binding. The first day incoming seniors can sign national letters of intent in basketball is Nov. 8.

“I liked the education I could get at North Texas, the facilities and the coaches,” Bailey said. “They reminded me of my high school coach. I feel like I will be able to continue to develop and become a good all-around player at North Texas.”

Bailey was the Defensive Player of the Year in District 24-5A last season in addition to being a first-team all-league selection. She averaged 12.8 points and 9.6 rebounds per game, despite being younger than most of the players in her class.

Bailey is still 16 years old.

“Brittani has a ton of potential,” Alvin coach Julie McMinn said. “She runs the floor well and changes shots defensively. She will continue to mature physically.”

Bailey’s potential attracted the attention of several programs from the Southwest and beyond. Colorado, Oregon, UT-Arlington, Stephen F. Austin and Arkansas-Little Rock were all recruiting Bailey when she committed to UNT.

Bailey said Janice Dziuk, who became UNT’s recruiting coordinator after last season, took the lead role in recruiting her over the last few months.

Signing Bailey could help fill a void in the post for the Mean Green in the next few years. UNT will have five post players on its roster next season, including three who will be seniors in the 2007-08 campaign when Bailey is a freshman.

McMinn believes Bailey will continue to improve her standing among Texas high school players as a senior and will be ready to make an impact at UNT early in her career.

“Committing early will help Brittani,” McMinn said. “She will be able to play loose and free. She was really nervous when Janice came to see her play.”

The addition of Bailey gives UNT two players who will form the basis of its 2007 recruiting class. Former Colorado point guard Yari Escalera transferred to UNT after last season and will sit out the upcoming year to fulfill NCAA transfer rules.

Bailey is the fourth player to commit to UNT since the Mean Green won the Sun Belt Conference West Division title and finished with a 19-9 record last season.

UNT has added Mamie James, a guard from Tyler Junior College, and Lysa Koubiteb, a post from Midland Junior Col-lege, in addition to Escalera and Bailey.

BRETT VITO can be reached at 940-566-6870. His e-mail address is bvito@dentonrc.com .

COMING ABOARD

The North Texas women’s basketball team has received commitments from seven players since the early signing period in November. The following is a rundown.

Class of 2006

Mamie James, Tyler JC 5-10 Jr. G/F+

Lysa Koubiteb, Midland JC 6-3 Jr. P+

Mimi Goodman, Batesville, Ark. 6-2 Fr. P*

Brittney James, Orange 5-8 Fr. G*

Torrian Timms, Waxahachie 6-0 Fr. P*

Class of 2007

Yari Escalera, Colorado 5-7 Jr. G#

Brittani Bailey, Alvin 6-2 Fr. P%

+ Junior college transfers

* Signed with UNT during the early period in November

# Will sit out the upcoming season after transferring from Colorado