Doak Walker

I guess the guys that decide who gets invited to the Doak Walker Award feel somewhat vendicated now that the NCAA Rushing Champ from two years ago did not even get drafted and is probably going to Canada.

I was one of the Mean Green fans that was up-in-arms that the Doak Walker people snubbed North Texas two years in a row..... but looks like maybe they were right (I hate to admit) sad.gif

The Doak Walker award is for the best collegiate running back. And being a great college player at any position doesn't not guarantee a transistion to the next level.

THe Doak Walker Award is not about NFL potential, so I have to disagree: that comittee was wrong then, and is still wrong.

Agree, college success does not mean NFL success. Look at the Heisman Okie QB, White, or look at Texas QB Applewhite of Texas. They were good college players as well but did not play NFL due to size and physical condition. Archie Griffin who won two Heismans at Ohio State had a brief and undistingished career in the NFL... too small.

Edited by SCREAMING EAGLE-66

I agree with Ken. And don't get me wrong, to not honor him with the award is one thing. I can handle that as there may or may not have been better backs at the time in '03. But to not even recognize him as one of the top backs in the country by listing him as a candidate, when he's playing for a school in the next county over is a another. That was an outright snub on their part for him not to even be mentioned. And then..........to do it again to a completely different back the very next year from the same school, who had even greater success against tougher competition in fewer games, speaks volumes as to their agenda at hand with North Texas.

To say there is a lot riding on this years game with SMU is a major understatement.

The Doak is a joke.

Rick

We have GOT to beat the ponies this year in Denton - what a freakin' huge game! The hair on my neck stands up just thinking about that game!

I'll have about 10 of my compadres from West Texas with me at the game. They're rednecks and not too smart, but they can yell :-)

GMG! Beat the hell out of SMUt!!!

The Doak Walker award is for the best collegiate running back.  And being a great college player at any position doesn't not guarantee a transistion to the next level.

THe Doak Walker Award is not about NFL potential, so I have to disagree: that comittee was wrong then, and is still wrong.

Yep, remember Charlie Ward? Heisman and was not drafted. Ahhh not drafted to the NFL that is. Now in the NBA.