fowler wins POW

bigrobdsp

After no-hitter, Fowler wins pitcher of the week

By Lindsay Williams

Staff Writer

March 09, 2006

Kristina Fowler will pitch with an added boost of confidence this season after being named Sun Belt Conference Softball Pitcher of the Week.

Fowler, Meeker, Okla., sophomore, received the honor after her performance in last week’s victories over Louisiana-Monroe. In the doubleheader on March 1, Fowler pitched a no-hitter in game one, the first in the history of NT softball. The game was ended early when NT run-ruled Monroe 8-0 in the fifth.

“(I was) more excited that we were able to put that many runs on the board that quick,” Fowler said, “ I want to pitch well enough to put my team in position to win.”

In the fifth inning of game two, Fowler, who relieved freshman pitcher Jessica Smith, stuck out three batters allowing one hit in three innings to secure the NT victory.

“That’s the first time this year I felt like I pitched like I can,” Fowler said. She said that everything felt right and she was able to take full control of the situation and apply everything she had learned and worked on in the off-season.

Fowler saw action quite a few games as a freshmen and has done nothing but improve since. Fowler said that in the off-season assistant coach Keith Berg, who primarily works with pitchers, stepped in and really helped her learn how to set up a batter and how to respond to different pitch counts.

Before each game, Fowler studies the scouting reports and gets a feel for the type of hitters she’ll face.

“I try to be as relaxed as I can,” she said about her pregame routine, which also includes doing homework before taking the mound.