Friday Practice Report

mad dog

I was going to write a Friday/Saturday practice report, so I had two full days to make any assertions, but I wanted to get this down before I go the next practice.

Will the Real Starting QB Please Stand Up?

As the former NT quarterback has said, whoever the guy wearing number 5 out there is, he isn't Cullen Mills. So the new big storyline is who the heck is he?

Our best guess at this point (courtesy of Brett Vito) is that he might be transfer QB Steven Prince from Kilgore. If it is him, he's the guy who played ball with Jamario at Spring Hill.

It seemed that, all day long, whenever I saw a great downfield pass being completed, I would look back to the line of scrimmage and see #5 out there pumping his fist. Now don’t get me wrong, Matt Phillips came on late Friday, especially with about the prettiest pass (a corner route to Joel Nwigwe) that I’ve seen since August. But with touch or zip, deep go routes or swing passes out of the backfield, the guy who we believe to be Prince has shot out to be perhaps the surprise of camp thus far.

With Daniel Meager’s shoulder ostensibly healed up, it still surprises me to see him rubbing his shoulder on the bad passes, and not on the good ones. Perhaps it is still giving him trouble. If it is, however, recovery had better start in a hurry, because he’s running out of time to prove himself for this year’s squad. He has launched a few deep ones that impress with distance, but his overall confidence still appears shaky.

Woody Wilson has shown some tremendous elusiveness and burst when he scrambles, and adequate accuracy and power. He seems to favor putting the ball just a smidge behind his man on crossing routes, ins, and outs, kinda on the back hip of his target. But he does have some zip on the shorter passes.

If the season started today, I’d start either Matt Phillips or #5 (Prince?), with either Woody Wilson or Daniel Meager as backup.

Quick Observations

*You really can tell when Isaac Thomas is in there. On one play, I saw him step back to avoid the forward lunge of the center, spin and roll to his right to avoid the double-teaming guard, and force the runner out of his lane, into the arms of about four defenders. I think I saw him knocked out of the play three times, and two of those were double teams. The other time was a great block by the new Center Trent Stanley, who seemingly caught Thomas by surprise. Bottom line is Thomas is really tough to move.

*First team D-line, by the way, in the absence of Jeremiah Chapman and Willie Ransom, is Thomas, Montey Stevenson, and Blake Burruss.

*Willie Ransom, by the way, isn’t exactly taking time off during spring ball. Instead of sitting around watching everyone (or sitting on a couch watching TV), he’s out there with a playcall sheet, doing a little bit of coaching and encouraging the younger guys in their technique. Really good to see a guy out there taking a leadership role when a year ago one wondered if he would ever come out of his shell socially.

*Keronna Henderson (now wearing #30) laid a few punishing blocks, most memorably a toe-to-toe explosion that knocked his man, a defensive tackle, back a step.

*Jamario Thomas is every bit as explosive right now as his freshman year. It looks like that hammy finally has healed up, and that burst gives me hope for next year.

Edited by illuvius32

Toby's a big kid, but perhaps the most impressive thing about him is how hard he goes. He's already drawn two fights because guys didn't like now nasty he was going after guys and shedding blocks. Some guys might prefer a swim or spin move to get away from a blocker. Toby would just as soon go through the guy, and does with regularity. I'm not sure how reliable he is in coverage, though. That's not to say he's not good, just that he hasn't caught my eye through three days.

Oh, and by the way... he won both of the fights.

Decisively.

Toby's a big kid, but perhaps the most impressive thing about him is how hard he goes.  He's already drawn two fights because guys didn't like now nasty he was going after guys and shedding blocks.  Some guys might prefer a swim or spin move to get away from a blocker.  Toby would just as soon go through the guy, and does with regularity.  I'm not sure how reliable he is in coverage, though.  That's not to say he's not good, just that he hasn't caught my eye through three days.

Decisively.

We need ELEVEN NASTYS on defense ! cool.gif

Is Stanley running with the first team yet?

How is the 3-4 looking?

Impressions of the DB's?

As of Friday, Stanley's with the second team.

The starting 3-4, as of Friday, has Montey Stevenson, Isaac Thomas, and Blake Burruss along the line, Eddrick Gilmore at the Strongside OLB (often playing the edge rush presence), Phillip Graves at the Weakside OLB, and Maurice Holman and Brandon Monroe at MLB.

DBs are tough to gauge. From what i've seen so far, the starters right now are Dominique Green (really fast sophomore with upside), and Tyrone Carter (smaller senior CB with good technique, speed, and experience). I'd put either Antoine Bush or Des Chatman in next. Right now, with the understanding of a spot reserved for Aaron Weathers, the guy appears to be Steve Warren or Rod Cotton at safety. If the season started tomorrow, I've hand it to Warren, due to his sheer athleticism and experience. Kartey Agbottah, for some reason, hasn't cracked the starting lineup, though I get the vibe that he shouldn't be counted out.

Toby's a big kid, but perhaps the most impressive thing about him is how hard he goes.  He's already drawn two fights because guys didn't like now nasty he was going after guys and shedding blocks.  Some guys might prefer a swim or spin move to get away from a blocker.  Toby would just as soon go through the guy, and does with regularity.  I'm not sure how reliable he is in coverage, though.  That's not to say he's not good, just that he hasn't caught my eye through three days.

Decisively.

Thats the stuff I want to hear. After last season we need more of this. As long as it stops at the right point. It sometimes takes things like this to get some people going.

I'm pretty sure Cullen is a Senior. He's left the program at least once, maybe twice, probably due to dissatisfaction with playing time. He rejoined the team this past year after it became clear that the QB situation was in trouble.

That said, the guy wearing number 5 right now is not at all the same guy I saw in the fall. It could be that I just saw an incredible two day stretch from him, and we might never see anything again. But things will get interesting if this is the rule rather than the exception...

We need ELEVEN NASTYS on defense ! cool.gif

Thats the stuff I want to hear. After last season we need more of this. As long as it stops at the right point. It sometimes takes things like this to get some people going.

Well, if that's what you're looking for, DL Jonathan Stewart from Arlington Seguin drew a fight with an offensive lineman for staying on top of his guy after throwing him to the ground. The OL took exception, and started kicking at Stewart, who slapped him in the head so hard the sound startled me. The sidelines cleared, and the two were finally seperated.

Hey everyone. This is Cullen Mills and I hate to inform you of this but I am not #5 that illuvius32 has been ranting about. I've previously kept my name disclosed but now that I'm no longer with the team, it doesn't really matter. I left the team this at the beginning of last season due to a torn pectoral muscle, along with other shoulder problems. I'm graduating this May, so whoever is sporting the new #5, best of luck to you but to my knowledge I have no clue who this is.

Hey everyone.  This is Cullen Mills and I hate to inform you of this but I am not #5 that illuvius32 has been ranting about.  I've previously kept my name disclosed but now that I'm no longer with the team, it doesn't really matter.  I left the team this at the beginning of last season due to a torn pectoral muscle, along with other shoulder problems.  I'm graduating this May, so whoever is sporting the new #5, best of luck to you but to my knowledge I have no clue who this is.

Man Cullen, I would have let us go on and on for awhile before I said anything. Glad to have you hear and I hope you don't quit posting now that you have given up your anonymity.

Hey everyone.  This is Cullen Mills and I hate to inform you of this but I am not #5 that illuvius32 has been ranting about.  I've previously kept my name disclosed but now that I'm no longer with the team, it doesn't really matter.  I left the team this at the beginning of last season due to a torn pectoral muscle, along with other shoulder problems.  I'm graduating this May, so whoever is sporting the new #5, best of luck to you but to my knowledge I have no clue who this is.

Hmm... then my apologies (if there are any required). In another world, it'd be nice to have more players setting us straight when we're wrong, even if we mean well.

New order of business- find out who the heck this number 5 is.

Thanks Cullen, good luck to you in the future. Illuvius32, you're fired as practice scout! (just kidding) Seriously, we need to find out who #5 really is and what class he is, etc. Harry, any guesses? one of the walkon invitees?

Thanks Cullen, good luck to you in the future.  Illuvius32, you're fired as practice scout!  (just kidding)    Seriously, we need to find out who #5 really is and what class he is, etc.  Harry, any guesses?  one of the walkon invitees?

laugh.gif

I'm on it. I just emailed the Media guys. Hopefully they'll have something for me.

Ok... according to Brett Vito, there's a good chance that the guy is Steven Prince, the transfer from Kilgore. It if is him, he is the guy who apparently played ball with Jamario at Spring Hill.

I'll do my best to verify this, but, until i get confirmation, treat this as a strong possibility.

A few years ago, an "unknown" QB was walking on in the spring. FFR Rick and I just walked up and asked him his name and what school he attended.

I don't understand why #5's identity is still somewhat of a mystery after a week of practice.  cool.gif

It would help if we had a 2006 Spring roster on the official site instead of 2005's. dry.gif

Well, Silver, I didn't think it was necessary. I thought I knew who he was, as did Harry, and probably you, too, had you been out there.

Had I felt a need to find out who he was before last night, that probably could have been handled in a similar manner to what you're talking about.

Well, Silver, I didn't think it was necessary.  I thought I knew who he was, as did Harry, and probably you, too, had you been out there.

Had I felt a need to find out who he was before last night, that probably could have been handled in a similar manner to what you're talking about.

Well Ramone, I make my comments toward a whole group, and you are the one that reacts. My comments weren't directed at you. You're not the only "reporter" out there. Mr. Vito gets paid to cover NT and he didn't seem to know. wink.gif

If I had been out there here's how the conversation would have gone. I would have said "Dang! who is that #5 out there throwing the ball? Then, someone would have said "well, Cullen Mills has been wearing #5 for a couple of years". Then I would have said "Cullen Mills? hasn't he graduated by now?"

Edited by SilverEagle