First week of BB practices

Buford_Julep

The men's BB team will take Friday off but work again at 11:15 Saturday morning.

All practices are open. Coach Jones told me he appreciates it that people are interested enough to come and watch. Coach Overstreet and two Denton Ryan assistants were taking notes at Thursday's practice.

This season the green team of Hines, Davis, Watson, Williams and Simpson has been blowing out the white team in the end of practice scrimmages. The drills leading up to the scrimmage are almost all defense oriented.

This time I won't bore you with my opinions, but will try to repeat what coach Jones said to me and some of the things he told his team.

This year NT has some players who want to play defense. It has some shooters, and it has Hines for transition. North Texas will be smaller (even though this is probably the tallest team NT has ever put on the court B.J.) than many of the opposing teams but can compensate with quickness and defensive effort.

Coach Jones is very happy with the three freshman: Edwards, Howerton and Stewart. He says NT is going to surprise people with it's November signings.

This year's team is versatile. Shooting guard Kendrick Davis and wing guard Michael Sturns can also play the point. Wing forwards Harold Edwards and Rich Young have played the post before and could move there if necessary.

Rich Young is an Iraq veteran and held the rank of seargeant. Jones said Young brings maturity and a disciplined approach to practice.

Thanks for the report. I also would like to hear your opinions on anything you see. I like JJ, but I didn't like 14-14 last year and the poor performance in the tournament on our home floor. Does he feel any pressure to improve on that mark, especially considering our soft schedule this season?

Coach Jones is very happy with the three freshman: Edwards, Howerton and Stewart. He says NT is going to surprise people with it's November signings.

I suppose from the context you mean last Novembers signings. The over anxious guy in me wants you to mean this coming Novembers signings.

Also, I want the opinions as well.

Look for two recruiting announcements next week. Believe there is a total of 3 ships available, one already committed to a guard from Howe. If you look at the roster at the official web site they had a walk on last year that I would suppose has a ship this year Jared Ruffin g 6-0, 175 froCreighton Prepatory, in Omaha NE. Another new name to me is Coby Ray a 6-1 G, 180 from Plano Prestonwood Christian Acade..both shown as Sophs.

Has anyone heard anything on women committments?

Other than internet rumors, what's your source?

I can't verify that Coby Ray is the grandson of Bobby Ray.

But I can verify that Bobby Ray is helping take football down the tubes, by not allowing some things to happen.

Other alumni that I trust are "in the know."  They have requested to remain nameless, so I will call them Deep Throat 1 and Deep Throat 2, and I trust their opinions.

laugh.gif A-ha........... unnamed sources laugh.gif Pardon me if I don't jump on the anti Bobby Ray bandwagon yet, because other reliable, unnamed sources contridict your sources cool.gif

Edited by MeanGreen61

UNTSportsGuy, don't you work for KNTU? Would the station allow you to do a little investigative reporting? I would like to know if the rumors that I've heard are true.

The rumor? That Bobby Ray and DD are good friends, vacationing together, etc... and that Ray has instructed RV that DD is "untouchable." I hope this is not true, but if the head of the BOR is instructing the AD to be hands off with the football coach, then there are problems.

I'm a little skeptical that a BOR member would have that kind of power. I could be wrong, but I think that might be a rumor that just isn't true. Care to expound a little more on your "emails" Lifer?? laugh.giflaugh.gifph34r.gif

Now if you are getting your information from the same sources as Moot I might be more worried... ( ph34r.gif )

Edited by Stan R

UNTSportsGuy, don't you work for KNTU?  Would the station allow you to do a little investigative reporting?  I would like to know if the rumors that I've heard are true.

The rumor?  That Bobby Ray and DD are good friends, vacationing together, etc... and that Ray has instructed RV that DD is "untouchable."  I hope this is not true, but if the head of the BOR is instructing the AD to be hands off with the football coach, then there are problems.

I've basically heard the same thing. We might have the same source(s).

The rumor?  That Bobby Ray and DD are good friends, vacationing together, etc... and that Ray has instructed RV that DD is "untouchable."  I hope this is not true, but if the head of the BOR is instructing the AD to be hands off with the football coach, then there are problems.

DING, DING, DING--Correct Answer!!