Home Opener and Suit Cases...

ParksAndRecRick

GoMeanGreen.Com has always proved to be one of the closest groups associated with the University of North Texas...and I asking for your assistance.

As most of you know, I am the Director of Parks and Recreation for the City of Grand Prairie. As of last Friday, we have been the host of 90 evacuees from New Orleans at our two recreation centers in Grand Prairie. It has been a very rewarding experience for all of us as we help these wonderful folks begin creating a new life.

I know a lot of you have already assisted in your commnunity, but I would like to ask your assistance at our home opener against Tulsa.

We are in need of Suitcases. Our folks are mainly families. They all came from the Superdome, so ya'll have read what they went through. Many were able to keep a few of the clothes and such, but only had garbage bags.

If you feel you could bring a suitcase or two please so post. I am hoping to bring some of the folks to the game....and I will have the availability to bring a trailer to bring them the suitcases.

Thanks so much for showing yet another reason why it is GRAND to be GREEN!

ParksAndRecRick

Rick Herold

rherold@gptx.org office email

460.371.7352 cell

Maybe off subject, but couldn't the Athletic Dept give free tickets to any of those folks? I'm not sure how they'd all get to and from the game, but it would be a nice gesture.

Maybe some of the metroplex churches could use their buses to bring them? That could also help to get some locals to watch the game as well.

Edited by Mad Hatter

Why wait another week. This goes for anyone helping at Camp Copass aswell.

Get in touch with the Salvation Army drop off at Texas Stadium.

Also make sure to get your evacuees registered through the Red Cross and FEMA locations at the Dallas Convention Center. Even if people have register with FEMA on-line, more services are available at the convention Center.

Currently the registration process is 2 parts.

1. Appointment time (Reunion Arena parking lot -SW corner of Memorial and Sports St.)

2. Processing at the Convention Center.

It will most likely take two trips, since FEMA can only see about 750 people a day. As of Wednesday, they were already booked through Friday.

Maybe off subject, but couldn't the Athletic Dept give free tickets to any of those folks?  I'm not sure how they'd all get to and from the game, but it would be a nice gesture.

Maybe some of the metroplex churches could use their buses to bring them?  That could also help to get some locals to watch the game as well.

At first I kind of squirmed at this idea - but it seems like it would be a nice gesture to get their minds off of their worries for an afternoon. If we could coordinate with a high school (Denton or Ryan) - then we could bring them in for the game and recognize them at halftime. I think a standing ovation would ensue and it would give some true American survivors a chance to get their minds off of the terrible position that they have been forced into. I would not want to count this towards attendance as they would not be paid admissions - please do not think that this is an attempt to help our attendance stats... just to simply provide a little entertainment to some folks that probably could use it right now. I know that the Greenbackers would be willing to step up to the plate and host the guests at our tailgate and feed them all with some great Texas BBQ.

Thanks so much Mean Green Nation! As I said, with the Red Cross and Salvation Army booked....many cities and churches are going out on their own. In Grand Prairie for example, we have received no help from any other agency. We are registering the folks with FEMA so they will receive the $2,000 household debit card.

We have been swamped with volunteers, food and many other items. You luggage will be a GRAND assistance as these folks continue to rebuild their lives...with help from great folks like you.

I'm not sure how many will attend next week...but, I hope you stop by my tent with the "We Believe in the Mean Green" banner. Vicki Olson might even have a Mean Green Brownie or two for ya!!!

And, the folks will be given free tickets to the game...

Love ya Mean Green Family!

Rick Herold

(ParksAndRecRick)

I think it would be a great idea if we could get some of these people into the game. Stebo said it right, simply get there minds off all the mess that is going on right now. Not only does ParksandRecRick have people with him in his city, we have around 500 right here in Denton. Some phones need to be made, or like j0nat8an said, I too would be willing to get a few tickets for these people. Any other takers????