WHAT WILL NT BE PLAYING FOR THIS YEAR

SilverEagle

I know that it's a bit early to speculate. But things don't look the least bit positive for NO hosting ANY sort of event, much less a bowl game.

So, assuming that we win our fifth conference championship......what then?

Bill, been thinking the same thing today because I don't think NO's is going to be back to normal for a year or 2. I wonder if Wright Waters could find a Florida location to be our substitute bowl for this December? Maybe one of those spots he has allegedly been trying to even line up a 2'nd bowl game for the SBC?

OR..........is it even possible we find an established bowl to take the SBC champion this year? That might be difficult at this juncture.

Even SBC Commissioner Wright Waters and the SBC office are going to have to relocate for quite awhile, too. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Sun Belt Conference offices take up temporary headquarters in Birmingham, Nashville or Irving, Texas.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Just a guess here, but I think the temporary home for the New Orleans Bowl will be: Lafayette.

We have a league member there. The stadium is just the right size for our bowl (I know they've had as many as 38,000 in there, for the A & M game).

Also, it was just announced that the league offices have been temporarily relocated there.

Just a guess here, but I think the temporary home for the New Orleans Bowl will be:  Lafayette.

We have a league member there. The stadium is just the right size for our bowl (I know they've had as many as 38,000 in there, for the A & M game).

Also, it was just announced that the league offices have been temporarily relocated there.

I thought they were in Birmingham?

Just a guess here, but I think the temporary home for the New Orleans Bowl will be:  Lafayette.

Excellent. Just posted the same thing about Lafayette on the BeltBoard.

The Big West (before kicking out ASU, ULL, Tech, and NIU) looked at playing a bowl in Lafayette after UNLV left the league.

More importantly part of the New Orleans Bowl budget comes from a state subsidy Louisiana provides to all the bowl games played in the state. Moving outside the state means having to find a way to replace that revenue.

Lafayette and Shreveport are the only viable locations.

Shreveport wouldn't be a bad place for the game. It's not nearly as far, so more of our fans could travel. In addition, they've got a huge stadium.

Lafayette though offers the possibility of having resources on hand to help with administration. Also for bowl licensing playing there requires a crowd of 23,250 instead of 25,000. You also have a built in fan base.

Playing in Shreveport you don't have the built in fans nor the support network. You also have the question of whether the community will support a second event because they are hugely behind the I-Bowl. It's booster organization is very large.

Playing in Shreveport you don't have the built in fans nor the support network. You also have the question of whether the community will support a second event because they are hugely behind the I-Bowl. It's booster organization is very large.

Not as large as you would think... one more bunk game like last year and it will be done.

Shane

since we're all speculating here... I hear that the NO Saints are using the Alamo Dome for their workouts. I would imagine that if they can't come up with an alternative that they most likely use it for their home games as well. They turned down the invitation that the Texans extended to use all of Reliant Park.

so maybe.............???

I would prefer the bowl in shreveport and not laf. Shreveport can give us some good exposure in that region and could steal away some good recruits from La Tech. Laf. would be awful...everythings awful there....

BTW, as mentioned earlier Shreveport would give some of us a better chance at attending.

Pending the bowl finds a new home, I would like to see the bowl game do something to honor the victims of this tradegy...a la the '01 NO Bowl game with Colorado St.

Following the 9/11 incident, most Mean Green fans here I'm sure can remember the field-sized American Flag in the shape of the States being waved in honor of those that were lost. I was fortunate enough to be in the Green Brigade that year and I got to be on the field holding the edge with other band members...including those from the Colorado St's band.

I don't think I'll ever forget that. Is something being considered for Katrina vicitms? Should something be considered?

-gm

I would prefer the bowl in shreveport and not laf.  Shreveport can give us some good exposure in that region and could steal away some good recruits from La Tech.  Laf.  would be awful...everythings awful there....

BTW, as mentioned earlier Shreveport would give some of us a better chance at attending.

Lafayette is in good shape except for being loaded down with refugees.

My hope is that a deal is cut to play in Shreveport and maybe make it a long-term deal (Louisiana Bowl?). The I-Bowl is one of the few well paying bowls that isn't relying on a big title sponsor, or administered with another bowl or administered by ESPN Regional Sports. Having the ability to jointly market two bowls to sponsors and TV will strengthen both bowls.

Last year when the I-Bowl came up short they were scrambling. If they were hooked up with our bowl they could have easily pushed UNT up to play Iowa State and brought Troy over to play USM.