Middle Tennessee

EagleChick03

So I'm thinking of dragging my boyfriend on a road trip up to Tennessee for that second game of the season......I'm just wondering from those of you who've made that trip how it is? How far is it from Dallas? (Yahoo maps says 11 hrs) And is it a pretty drive or boring?? Never been up that way and think it would be fun.

Anybody's expierence would be appreciated. Thanks!

I know several groups of us are going to make that trip.  Perhaps we could all meet up and caravan.  It is a long drive but I think it's worth it.

I though can't really speak objectively about how boring it will be...I'll have in car DVD and Playstation 2.  tongue.gif

Dibs on riding with Emmitt! smile.gif

Oh man, you guys and gals are going to have so much fun! Make sure that you go to the Green painted bar across the street for a pint of Pabst Blue Ribbon (on tap!)... That has been the lucky concoction I have had in my last two trips there and those were succesful. Also, if you drive and have some extra time, go drive through the Civil War Battlegrounds/Memorial Park located on the outskirts of town. I know it sounds lame - it did to me when Adler dragged me there, but they are really cool and interesting. It will make you have an appreciation for the men and women that fought to keep our country together as a Union. Everything has been restored nicely and since the war was fairly recent, most of the artifacts are in really good shape. It is also free, so if you are a college kid looknig to do something while you are out of town but are low on cash - try a tour through the battlegrounds, you won't regret it. The walking tour is NOT a walking tour though (not unless you want to walk about 11 miles!) - make sure that you take your car and then stop at the numbered landmarks to read up on what happened at that spot.

Edited by stebo

Also, if you drive and have some extra time, go drive through the Civil War Battlegrounds/Memorial Park located on the outskirts of town.  I know it sounds lame - it did to me when Adler dragged me there, but they are really cool and interesting.  It will make you have an appreciation for the men and women that fought to keep our country together as a Union.

Not football related, but Stebo is correct. I've never been to the park he is referring to, but I have been to the one in Vicksburg, Mississippi. It is truly an awesome experience to be at the same places where some of the greatest Civil War battles were fought.

My grandmother lives about 80 miles this side of Nashville and it takes about 10 hours to drive there from the mid-cities including the occasional bathroom stop. Tennesse has some of the most beautiful country in the U.S. (Yes, I was born there!) The humidity is pretty bad, though. Also watch your speed on I-40 between Memphis and Nashville. The state troopers don't give any leeway. Wish I could go. Have fun!

GMG!

if you have time, on your way back to memphis from murphreesboro, take the senic route and stop at Shiloh National Millitary Park. The walk down the Hornets Nest to the Bloody Pond is a sobering one.

Shiloh National Military Park was established in 1894 to preserve the scene of the first major battle in the Western theater of the Civil War. The two-day battle, April 6 and 7, 1862, involved about 65,000 Union and 44,000 Confederate troops. This battle resulted in nearly 24,000 killed, wounded, and missing. It proved to be a decisive victory for the federal forces when they advanced on and seized control of the Confederate railway system at Corinth, Mississippi. The battlefield contains about 4,000 acres at Shiloh and an interpretive center at Corinth, Mississippi. The park has within its boundaries the Shiloh National Cemetery along with the well preserved prehistoric Indian mounds that are listed as a historic landmark. The Shiloh battlefield is located in Hardin County, Tennessee, on the west bank of the Tennessee River nine miles southwest of Savannah, Tennessee, with an additional park unit located in the city of Corinth, Mississippi, twenty-three miles southwest of Shiloh.

Edited by tigerjeb

Another great way to get a "taste" of Tennessee is to visit Lynchburg and go on the free tour there of the Jack Daniels Distillery.

The tour is probably 2 hours long, very interesting, and free taste tests of unfinished product.

Lynchburg is just 45 minutes from Murfreesboro and is a pretty drive.

You'll be surprised at how flat Murfreesboro and most of West TN is.

If you are going to stay in a hotel in Murfreesboro, I do NOT recommend Church Street.

Also, don't forget to take I-440 to I-24. It will save you time (don't have to drive through Nashville and the bad traffic there). But I'm sure ya'll are used to bad traffic being so close to Dallas.

If anyone has any specific questions, e-mail me at cajunraider@yahoo.com and I will be happy to help.

Or, you can post on our message board at www.GoMiddle.com or on our Delphi Site at http://forums.delphiforums.com/mtraiders/start

I travel this route often to visit my son in Kentucky. A beautiful drive theough East Texas (I30 to Little Rock - detour theough hope to see President Clinton's birthplace if you have time), note the different crops growing along I 40 (some we do not have in the North Texas area), then through the mountains of Tenneessee (where would Texas be without Tennesseans - Houston Crockett, etc.). If you have a long weekend check out Jack Daniels Distillary (mentioned above) and the birthplace of Gen. Nathan Bedfoed Forrest (considered by many as thr best general in the War Between the States and the only one who did not attend West Point - a very intersting and remarkable man). You could go further south to Birmingham and come back via I20 to see more of Dixie.

I travel this route often to visit my son in Kentucky.  A beautiful drive theough East Texas (I30 to Little Rock - detour theough hope to see President Clinton's birthplace if you have time), note the different crops growing along I 40 (some we do not have in the North Texas area), then through the mountains of Tenneessee (where would Texas be without Tennesseans - Houston Crockett, etc.).  If you have a long weekend check out Jack Daniels Distillary (mentioned above) and the birthplace of Gen. Nathan Bedfoed Forrest (considered by many as thr best general in the War Between the States and the only one who did not attend West Point - a very intersting and remarkable man).  You could go further south to Birmingham and come back via I20 to see more of Dixie.

A great story on General Forrest and his calvary is that his forces once found themselves completely surrounded by Union forces. When his subordinates asked for his orders he said " divide the force in half and charge in both directions" Not only did they break out but they carried the day. wink.gif

Right on DallasGreen. You sound like a fellow history buff. Unfortunatly too many of todays youth lack a sound knowledge of history and the adage that "we adequately prepare for the future with a knowledge of where we have been". This is one of my pet peeves along with the vast vacumn of geographical knowledge"

BabiArm you might brush up on President Jackson and Polk, the War of 1812, the stae of Franklin, etc. As a 6th generation Texan I love and admire our history, but that does not mean some of the other states might not have a glorious past and numerous achievements we might admire.

Oft times I try to type in something in a hurryand misspell word and take that into consideration when others do the same. However, I sometimes see things that make me wonder if the author attended UNT.

Right on DallasGreen.  You sound like a fellow history buff.  Unfortunatly too many of todays youth lack a sound knowledge of history and the adage that "we adequately prepare for the future with a knowledge of where we have been".  This is one of my pet peeves along with the vast vacumn of geographical knowledge"

BabiArm you might brush up on President Jackson and Polk, the War of 1812, the stae of Franklin, etc.  As a 6th generation Texan I love and admire our history, but that does not mean some of the other states might not have a glorious past and numerous achievements we might admire.  

Oft times I try to type in something in a hurryand misspell word and take that into consideration when others do the same.  However, I sometimes see things that make me wonder if the author attended UNT.

Geeze, lighten up will ya. It's just a comment made in jest.

I'll often use it when in a debate with someone from TN when they say someting to the effect that 'It took a bunch of Tennessean's to make Texas free' I'll respond that 'We appreciate that, It's obvious they had to come to Texas before finding something worth dying for'

Edited by Baby Arm!