Shock and Awe, Cobbs & Thomas

Marty

Guest e-bone

The national pub we are getting from USA Today is absolutely great, but we can't overlook the publicity from local newspapers because they reach people who actually have a chance to come out to games.

First off, let me apologize for this PMGish type idea, but what are ya'll's thoughts with this?

Since we are North Texas and marketing to the DFW area hasn't been overly successful, why don't we market from Denton north? Hit all of the smaller towns, such as Krum, Sanger (we do have the Higgs brothers), Gainesville area, Sherman-Denison area, McKinney, Frisco, Little Elm, etc...

North Texas could host a town or two for each home game, for instance, Gainesville Appreciation Night, Sherman-Denison Appreciation night, etc... and work with the Chambers of Commerce from these communities to promote the games. Just an idea.

First off, let me apologize for this PMGish type idea, but what are ya'll's thoughts with this?

Since we are North Texas and marketing to the DFW area hasn't been overly successful, why don't we market from Denton north?  Hit all of the smaller towns, such as Krum, Sanger (we do have the Higgs brothers), Gainesville area, Sherman-Denison area, McKinney, Frisco, Little Elm, etc...

North Texas could host a town or two for each home game, for instance, Gainesville Appreciation Night, Sherman-Denison Appreciation night, etc... and work with the Chambers of Commerce from these communities to promote the games.  Just an idea.

You realize Aubrey is a town too,right?

You realize Aubrey is a town too,right?

Yes, and I also realize that Pilot Point, Collinsville, Tioga, Whitesboro, Princeton, Era, Sadler, Southmaid, Callisburg, Lindsey, Muenster, Nocona, Valley View, Ponder, Justin, Drop, etc... are towns, but I didn't want my PMGish idea to be PMGish in length. ohmy.gif

Pure class biggrin.gif Positive role models!

But never in NCAA history has a team boasted two different national leaders in rushing in consecutive seasons.

That's just fine with both Cobbs and Thomas, who are excited about the chance to complement (and compliment) each other.

"Me and Patrick are just going to go out there and have fun and win games," Thomas said. "It gives Patrick and me more time for breaks and stuff, and gives us an opportunity to play on special teams."

=======

"It was hard at first," Cobbs said. "When I first got hurt I felt like I was letting the team down. It was hard all season watching the games.

"Then the first weekend after that, Jamario came in and played a great game. A lot of pressure let off, and I could stop thinking of myself a little more and try to get back for the team. I got to sit back and watch a great running back make history.

========

As for Cobbs, the injury may have ended up a blessing in disguise. After being granted a medical redshirt by the NCAA, Cobbs is working on his second degree.

========

"It'll be fun to come out and play with Jamario. I'm old now," he joked, "so not getting 30 to 40 carries a game will be good. I'll be fresh the whole game, and when I get a carry I'll feel like I'm going 100 percent. It's going to help us both tremendously. We'll be able to run a little harder at the end of games.

=========

"People look up to me as ... a person who does right," Thomas added. "I'm going to do right, and people know that."

=========

But both Cobbs and Thomas are more involved thinking of the main goal: Getting North Texas back to the New Orleans Bowl for a fifth consecutive December.

"We're just trying to get through the season and win some football games," Cobbs said. "All that individual stuff takes care of itself."