Texas Tech women's football clinic

gangrene

Texas Tech Women's Football Clinic Scheduled

The Sixth Annual Texas Tech Women's Football Clinic has been scheduled for Aug. 4 at 6:30 p.m.

July 18, 2005

LUBBOCK, Texas - A facilities tour, offensive and defensive instruction and an equipment demonstration highlight the Fifth Annual Texas Tech Women's Football Clinic, which is scheduled for Thu., Aug. 4, at 6:30 p.m. at the Texas Tech Football Training Facility. The event is presented by ASCO.

Entry fee for the clinic is $30. Groups of five or more may sign up for $25 per person and all forms must be turned in together. For more information, please contact the Texas Tech Football Office at (806) 742-4260. Applications for the Women's Football Clinic are available at www.texastech.com and www.mikeleach.net. A camp t-shirt and refreshments are included in the entry fee.

The primary purpose of the clinic, which will be divided into beginner and advanced levels, is to provide the female football fan with an in-depth insight to the game. The previous three clinics sold out quickly.

"The first four years were successes and everyone had a great time," said Dennis Simmons, Tech Assistant Athletic Director of Football Quality Control and clinic coordinator. "Most clinics cater to men, not allowing women the same opportunity. We want to provide the female football fan with the same knowledge of the game that men receive in these types of clinics."

The goal of the Texas Tech Football Clinic for Women is to educate female fans with an opportunity to gain perspective into the world of a Division I football player. Texas Tech football coaches will be on hand throughout the clinic and provide instruction.

Members of the Texas Tech football team will be on hand to demonstrate the proper use and wear of equipment. The evening will conclude with an auction featuring Texas Tech memorabilia. Participants are encouraged to dress comfortably for warm weather. It is recommended that participants wear tennis shoes and a t-shirt.

user posted image

I like the first sentence in the last paragraph the most, "Members of the Texas Tech football team will be on hand to demonstrate the proper use and wear of equipment." What equipment do you think they are going to demonstrate?

I remember an TV report on SMU doing something similar. I don't remember if the SMU players were on hand or not.

This should be a required course for wifes/girlfriends with husbands/boyfriends who are rabid football fans.

North Texas is having one of these things this year. My wife got an invitation to attend. I believe the date is August 1st. Mrs. Dickey and another lady are the hostesses for the event. I am not sure how many ladies will attend this event but I think it is a good idea.

Here is all the information on the brochure:

FOOTBALL 101

Hosted by Tory Dickey & Sandra Robinson

Date 08/04/05

Time 6:00 pm

Coach Darrell Dickey and the Mean Green Football Coaching staff present the First Women's Football Clinic.

THE STATS

Who: Women ONLY

What: an Evening of fun with the Mean Green Football Staff

Where: Mean Green Athletic Center (1301 S. Bonnie Brae)

Cost: $10.00

Appearances by Mean Green Football Players

Clinic Favors

Free hors d'oeuvres & cocktails

Please RSVP by July 29 to Mandy @ 940-369-7034 or by email at

mckinley@unt.edu

Questions? Call 940-369-7034

Great idea! We can never have too much community outreach. Regardless of the success we must continue to brainstorm ideas on how to make ourselves as a University appealing to joe casual fan.

With the huge influx of people from other communities (i.e. Hispanic), maybe we could one day have a Mean Green Fiesta or something that would bring people to Fouts during the summer for a family friendly party. Then maybe we can get them back in the fall. Now thinking way out of the box - one day maybe even having a re-occurring fall Fiesta on gamedays and marketing this bad boy via mail in Spanish.

I know I am stereotyping here, but I know my peeps and the Latin community loves a Fiesta!

GMG

Great idea!  We can never have too much community outreach.  Regardless of the success we must continue to brainstorm ideas on how to make ourselves as a University appealing to joe casual fan. 

With the huge influx of people from other communities (i.e. Hispanic), maybe we could one day have a Mean Green Fiesta or something that would bring people to Fouts during the summer for a family friendly party.  Then maybe we can get them back in the fall.  Now thinking way out of the box - one day maybe even having a re-occurring fall Fiesta on gamedays and marketing this bad boy via mail in Spanish. 

I know I am stereotyping here, but I know my peeps and the Latin community loves a Fiesta!

GMG

I don't think your stereo-typing at all but just being topical about current trends in Texas' population growth.

UNT's campus radio stadion KNTU-FM 88.1 does all its weekend programming in Spanish for our Spanish speaking Communication Majors. What better time to advertise to the Hispanic community than on our alma mater's campus radio station on the weekends?

I still wish NT Athletics had a Spanish broadcast (and monies to produce such) of every Mean Green football game on its future agenda. Yes, I know English is our official language, but last time I looked at a map, Texas and Mexico were neighbors and we still have a whole bunch of Spanish-speaking resident aliens with their Mean Green cards rolleyes.gif (sorry, couldn't resist) in their billfolds.

It is a demographic that we cannot ignore too much longer.

AND....great idea! I am glad to see the Dickey's and some of the athletic department staff are hosting such an event. IMO, this is one of the ways we begin to create the much needed "new faces/new fans" at venerable Fouts Field. smile.gif

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I remember an TV report on SMU doing something similar.  I don't remember if the SMU players were on hand or not.

This should be a required course for wifes/girlfriends with husbands/boyfriends who are rabid football fans.

Is that a hint? blink.gif

Joking aside, I think it's a great idea. An interesting way to get the fans to connect with the team. If the wife/girlfriend is interested in the game and understands what's going on, she's more likely to go to games and enjoy them.

Also, I think it would be neat to do a couples do a conference. Train the women, then let them go toe-to-toe with their respective guys, and see how well the guys know football.

Edited by untgirl04

i was just glad to actually read that the thread was about educating women on football and not putting them in pads. i had a girl in one of my classes who played for the dallas diamonds (women's pro football) and she would always advertise their crap. i think this is a great idea because besides the ladies learning more about football, they'll at least get to know each other and maybe that alone will draw them to the game.