Defensive Ends

GrayEagle

I thought that it might be enjoyable to look at the 2005 squad by position or groups and find opinions on the abilities and chances of starting and playing time and the ability of the unit overall.

Here are the candidates at defensive end:

Blake Burruss 6-7 252

Jeremiah Chapman 6-4 245

David Collins 6-4 210

Chad Cooley 6-2 228

Raifu Durodoye 6-1 237

Ronnie Hull 6-3 258

Eli Hutchinson 6-4 240

Willie Ransom 6-3 250

Tye Rexrode 6-3 200

Starters: Chapman and Hutchinson

Backups: Burruss and Ransom

Sleeper: Hull

I think that the only true freshman, Collins, will be redshirted. Cooley is the only walk-on and he seems too light this year. Durodoye is probably the strongest of the group but he appears to be a little light for defensive end and a little slow for linebacker. Rexrode is way too light for a defensive end if his weight is true. He might find a spot on some of the special teams, however, and still letter. I'm not sure that there is a sleeper in this group but if there is, I'd nominate Ronnie Hull. He has put on 40-50 pounds since he was recruited and just might have a breakthrough year. Burruss was so solid in spring training that he was listed as #2 on both sides; but that was before Ransom came. The biggest question may be can Ransom start ahead of Hutchinson. Chapman is a 2nd team All-SBC preseason and I believe is our best.

On a 1-10 rating system I'd give this group a 6 now but I'll expect a 7 as the season wears on.

Does anyone have disagreement or any tidbits of information to add about these players?

Talk about defensive tackles/nose guards tomorrow.

I like chapman starting, and I think you have a solid case for Hutchinson. However, Ransom is one of the most highly touted recruits in the sun belt (he was voted Newcomer of the Year on one college football website), and, if he's half as good as everyone seems to think he's going to be, he'll give Hutchinson a run for his money.

Rexrode is much larger than 200. Hutchinson probably much smaller than 240. Thought Hall was a back up TE. Chapman had one good game but did not play much after that. DD going with Hutchinson instead. My guess would be Ransom and Hutchinson will start. Look for true fish Nwigwe and Gilmore as well as Collins get a look at this position.

Good thread Gray. My take - Hull was moved to Tight end in the spring and I imagine he will stay there although when you take into account the arrival of Chaney, Brown and Gilmore there are a lot of numbers at the tight end position. Someone is going to be asked to move to tight end. The only sure bet is probably Chapman on the strong side. He's not a difference maker but he looks like a solid player. Hutcheson is a really interesting player. When I watch film of him from last year, he has his moments and shows bursts of speed that you love to have out of a rush end. the problem is he plays out of control, often overrunning the play and he gets dominated at times against the run. At the weakside position they don't need a runstopper but they do need a speed pass rusher. Hutcheson hasn't proven to be a consistent threat to sack the passer and make offside plays. That is why Ransom was such a big sign - they think he can feel that role. They have high hopes for Burriss who has the size. He has shown some flashes in limited minutes. I think he's still weak against the run. Durodoye and Rexrode - for now - appear to be backups at best. Durodoye is undersized and Rexrode is trying to convert to DEnd from a high school quarterback and runningback. Walk-on Chad Cooley is a very interesting player that could surprise. He's undersized but athletic and plays very smart.. While not a dominating end like an Awasom, Cooley is sound in his technique and typically not going to hurt you. He's coming off some off season surgery but should be ready by two a days. David Collins is a very athletic kid that should be redshirted unless he comes on very strong in two a days. Another player that may figure in is former linebacker Lawrence Brown from Houston. Brown is 6-3 210 dripping wet but very fast and will push to get some time at the weakside spot. The biggest key to this group is Ransom. If he is as advertised, he could give us a weakside end that teams have to account for. We haven't had that since Darrell Daniels.

Until Ransom proves himself I see this as an area of concern. They really need a big, strong run stopper and Chapman may not quite be there yet. It wouldn't surprise me to see them bring in a late juco walk-on strong side defensive end that can stop the run just for insurance.

My penciled in starters would be Chapman on the strong side and Ransom as the rush end. Burris and Hutcheson would be in the rotation.