Byerly

eppy4life

i ran into byerly yesterday at home depot and he assured me that this topic is getting old. come on guys, lets get over this guy not being on the team and talk about the guys who will be under center. im actually thankful that the ncaa has a min. gpa requirement because if byerly can't lead himself, why should we have thought he could lead the mean green offense?

What years was the mascot eppy? When did it become scrappy?

The mascot name was originally Scrappy, and it was changed in the late sixties-early seventies by the hippies to "Eppy." In 1994(?) the university changed the name back to Scrappy because the students felt that "Eppy" was a stupid name.

----I grew up in Brownwood and have heard Gordon Wood say several times that he prefered to have take a smart kid with good abilities and make a QB of him rather than a kid that had "great" abilities that was not that great of a student. The QB position is all about decisions and a "dumb" one will make dumb decisions plus not have the respect and leadership qualities that an intellegent one will have. Guess he knew what he was talking about.. he sure won a lot.

---Where I live now we had a QB one year with great skills but dumb as a goat (and a semi-outlaw)... We went 0-10 and some of his decisions were awful.

--------I think Scrappy became Eppy during the 70's (Scrappy looked and sounded too violent, LOL, politically correctness) Then later became Scappy again later. Dumb deal....

In 1994(?) the university changed the name back to Scrappy because the students felt that "Eppy" was a stupid name.

.....and for that I am eternally grateful.

I proudly (did you hear that Rick? I said PROUDLY) call myself a liberal, and I hung out with a lot of hippies back in those days. But for the life of me I will NEVER understand why the administration allowed the "flower child" faction to make a decision about the name of the school's mascot. blink.gif

Organizing "Earth Day" activities is as about as much as they should have been allowed to do. cool.gif

Be nice to the flower people's children though- remember that they wanted to add the Albino Squirrel as a new mascot. I mean, he'd be nice and threatening, right?

On a related note- there are multiple chapters of the Albino Squirrels on a lot of different campuses around the country, most notably at UT. Someone explain to me the logic of having a mascot with a chapter on a rival campus!

Edited by meangreendork

I heard(from a source I consider to be very reliable) the entire team is ineligible due to low grades and that Southlake Carroll is going to play all our games for us in 2005. They will be adorned in our new vibrant shade of green with green helmets showcasing the new white squirrel logo that expresses our earthy roots and our commitment to our community.

Dont shoot me, im just the messenger. ph34r.gif

Looking forward to it!

The mascot name was originally Scrappy, and it was changed in the late sixties-early seventies by the hippies to "Eppy." In 1994(?) the university changed the name back to Scrappy because the students felt that "Eppy" was a stupid name.

And Scrappy is not a stupid name???

I was there in '94 and I don't really recall this issue, but I'm sure I was opposed to it. I will forever relate the name "Scrappy" to that stupid little mutt that ruined one of my favorite childhood cartoons. rolleyes.gif

Yeah, I'm still bitter. laugh.gif

i ran into byerly yesterday at home depot and he assured me that this topic is getting old.

Old? It's not even official that anything has happened. I do think vested ticket holders should be informed if such an occurance has happened. Wouldn't Cowboy fans be concerned if rumors were Quincy wasn't going to be QB anymore? blink.gif