Another player report on Byerly

NT80

From M&G board......

Date Posted: Wed, July 13 2005, 16:32:21

Author: twodogs

Subject: Re: If true....

In reply to: UNTLifer 's message, "Re: If true...." on Wed, July 13 2005, 9:36:57

According to my son, Zach Muzzy, Joey did not pass enough hours during the fall and spring semesters to even qualify for summer school. I mean he could enroll in summer school and take the classes but those hours can not be used to help in his eligibility. It is the new rule NCAA put in place last year. He is not working out with the guys this summer during 7 on 7 drills.

I don't understand because from what Zach tells me they have plenty of resouces at their disposal to insure they pass their classes! It is just a matter of not giving a crap or thinking someone will clean up my mess for me!

This makes too many reports to not think there is something to it. But why would coaches give Byerly the majority of reps in spring, and DD say he was happy with our roster qbs and wouldn't sign a JUCO qb, then name Joey the starter in May if they knew he was borderline with grades? How could they not know his class status during the semester, or is it a total secret until the last final is taken as to how a person is progressing? How does a player go from starter to can't participate in a 2 month period and nobody knew it was coming?

Edited by NT80

How could they not know his class status during the semester, or is it a total secret until the last final is taken as to how a person is progressing?  How does a player go from starter to can't participate in a 2 month period and nobody knew it was coming?

I know that professors that teach members of the women's v-ball team receive requests to submit academic progress reports to the athletic department (can't remember the name of the person that signs off the cover letter to these requests) so that they can better keep tabs with their grades....thus: eligibility status.

I have no clue if this process is followed for other student-athletes, but I can't fathom DD and his staff choosing not to follow the same steps to ensure they know their players' status.

-gm

UNT has a GREAT academic coordinator and you better believe she keeps real close tabs on her kids and thats in all sports too. Just look at how UNT did with NCAA compliance this spring. Didn't UNT outclass all the other Texas D-1 schools? I believe we did! RV even mentioned this during the logo unveiling ceremony.

BTW, it wasn't May the DD named Byerly the starter, it was in February. Remember how early we hold spring practice? There was a lot of spring semester left when Byerly "won" the job. Too bad he couldn't keep his priorities in order. He certainly had the resources available to him to help him succeed.

BTW,  it wasn't May the DD named Byerly the starter,  it was in February.  Remember how early we hold spring practice?  There was a lot of spring semester left when Byerly "won" the job.

great point.

UNT has a GREAT academic coordinator and you better believe she keeps real close tabs on her kids and thats in all sports too.  Just look at how UNT did with NCAA compliance this spring.  Didn't UNT outclass all the other Texas D-1 schools?  I believe we did!  RV even mentioned this during the logo unveiling ceremony.

BTW,  it wasn't May the DD named Byerly the starter,  it was in February.  Remember how early we hold spring practice?  There was a lot of spring semester left when Byerly "won" the job.  Too bad he couldn't keep his priorities in order.  He certainly had the resources available to him to help him succeed.

But the report also mentioned that Byerly didn't pass enough in FALL and spring. So it makes you wonder how close he was to the line going into the spring semester. If football takes their academics as seriously as track does (and I'm sure they do), there is no excuse for not doing well.

Those kids get every academic advantage they can possibly get for classes - free tutors, study groups, progress reports..... that doesn't even include all the resources at your disposal as just a regular student!

The athletes are here for an education, and it's a shame that some of them don't take advantage of all of their resources. I think overall NT has done an excellent job at keeping our players eligible, but when your starting QB has a problem, someone somewhere dropped the ball.

The athletes are here for an education, and it's a shame that some of them don't take advantage of all of their resources. I think overall NT has done an excellent job at keeping our players eligible, but when your starting QB has a problem, someone somewhere dropped the ball.

Ultimately, the responsibility rests with the student. UNT can provide all the resources in the world, but the student has to use them or they are meaningless.

Upon further review, aren't we breaking some kind of code by discussing an individual's grades at NT. Didn't an ex UT basketball coach get in trouble for that a few years ago?

Not sure we should be bringing specific names and his/her grades on GMG.com threads, Harry/Cerebus; that is until something official comes down the pike on this situation.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

basically, if the guy isn't responsible enough to make it to class (which would be the only way for his gpa to drop so low) then i don't want him leading our team. i'm glad this has come up and am glad to get a guy under center who will also take care of other responsibilities. hopefully, byerly will learn from this and grow up.