Tonight's Game on T.V. ?

ntsumgspe

Guest JohnDenver

I couldn't find it on the television either..

No, I didn't go to the game. And if anyone wants to come talk about it in person, they will NOT find me at the game.

Thanks. Try the trout.

Guest JohnDenver

What about the coaches BBQ?

Probably not there either. I think I may boycott all athletics actually. I am tired of the terrible graduation rates ... ESPECIALLY in basketball. ohmy.gif

I am going to give my money (no more MGC for me) to the music school. huh.gif

It is nice to see that the basketball team graduated their 2nd player in 6 years this December. That puts them at about a 2% graduation rate. I guess we paid for two years of Sho-Jo's schooling so that he could play those 12-13 games only to have him take off before getting a diploma, what a waste.

It is nice to see that the basketball team graduated their 2nd player in 6 years this December.

This is from the 03-04 media guide, so last year's seniors aren't included (if someone has their names and majors, please post, thanks).

Chris Davis - Kinesiology 2003

Jermaine Green - Applied Arts & Sciences 2003

Lee Green - Applied Arts & Sciences 2003

Kenneth Mangrum - Bachelor's August 2002 (now working on a masters as a grad assistant)

Brandon Gilbert Sociology/Criminal Justice 2000

Edited by Coach

Here are the seniors from last year:

Will Smith - Applied Arts and Sciences 2004

Michael Degrate - Sociology 2004

Jerome Rogers - Applied Arts and Sciences 2004*

*The media guide said he was on course, so I am assuming he made it.

I also know John Franklin graduated but he played one year and wasn't on ship, so that may not count.

So there are 8 graduates since 2000....where did you get your numbers from stebo?

How long is the graduation rate staggered from? Our "NCAA" grad rate for basketball was like 0%-10% when RV met with us summer 2003. I had heard of one that graduated - and then I saw that Leonard Hopkins graduated. So that was basically an estimate. I am glad to see that all those guys have graduated. It is too bad that we do not get credit for transfers that went to other schools and graduated. And I don't think Chris Davis graduated. But I could be wrong. I seem to recall him playing semi-pro ball in April that year so I figured he would give it a try and maybe come back. Has he come back since?

I wouldn't trust those media guides - just because they are seniors in the guides does not mean that they graduated. Remember, a player only has to take 24 hours over the year (that can be taken during either semester - during the May or X-Mas Mester or during both summer semesters) - I think they have to have a minimum of 6 hours to play. A senior in NCAA class just means that they are out of eligibility. I hope I am wrong on this, and a lot can change in a year and a half - I hope it has... but Summer '03, our basketball teams had a 0%-10% NCAA grad rate (I think Trilli graduated the one kid he didn't throw off the team - SEMO or David or someone).

Edited by stebo

I wouldn't trust those media guides - just because they are seniors in the guides does not mean that they graduated.

I didn't go off who was listed as a senior, I went off the page that explicity says they graduated with the year and major.

The only one that it doesn't say for SURE graduated was Jerome, and eaglehoney, who would know, said 3 out of 5 graduated so I assume that meant Jerome.

That 2 in six years number is clearly way off base, we have proof of 8-9 since 2000.

Ok, maybe the NCAA calculates the graduation rate with a window. I know that you have to graduate within 5 years or they do not count. Perhaps some of those players took 6 years to graduate this they did not count for our NCAA stats.

Our program took a big hit when Trilli came in and released the whole team except for one or maybe two people. Then a lot of his players chose to transfer or drop out completely. The ones that transferred did in fact graduate from where they went but it counts against us. I don't think we get credits for anyone that transferred in to our program either. It is a wierd system. I think if a student athlete leaves and goes to another program then it shouldn't count against us. All that I know is what I heard from RV last summer (not 2004 but 2003) - he said that the NCAA graduation rates were coming out and for the first time since moving up our student athlete graduation rate would be higher than the regular student population (something like 37%)... he also went on to explain the system and how the football team had pulled its weight and most of the other teams but that the basketball team had dropped us about 2 or 3 percentage points because we had only graduated one person during the NCAA window. Like I said, I am not sure how it is calculated, and a lot can change in a year and a half but it sounds as if JJ is getting the job done when it comes to graduating players. I hope you are right.

By the way, we aren't in this alone, Basketball graduation rates are terrible across the nation. OU had a 0% graduation rate just last year. You have to graduate in 5 years, the scale is done on a 5 or 6 year window, if a student transfers to another school and graduates - it doesn't matter - it still counts against you. If they quit the team but stay in school then it counts against you. It is a double standard though - if you sign in a JUCO or a transfer, then they will count against your stats if they don't graduate BUT if they do graduate they don't count for you. They are just a "wash"... The only ones that count are kids that get a ship and graduate in 5 years. And I think the stats are always a year or two behind because they (the NCAA) wait to see if the kids that were seniors 2 years ago graduate eventually. So while our graduation rate for basketball is currently among the worst in the nation, it sounds like it will take a huge leap in the next few years thanks to JJ making sure that his kids were taking care of business in the classroom. I didn't mean to attack the program, it just has a history of having a terrible NCAA graduation rate... but the NCAA table is messed up in my opinion. Most students don't make it out of school in 5 years and I don't think athletes should be held to a higher standard than any other student that had to work his/her way through school.

BTW, Slinker - even with her faults - has a tremendous graduation rate, or at least she did when the last window was released by the NCAA. That is part of the reason why she has her job still. When she recruits kids she can show them that if they come to NT, they will get a degree.

I am going to try to find the current stats and post them, today is a slow day and my curiosity is sparked now to see where we are after a year.

Ok, I found it and it sucks like I thought:

http://www.ncaa.org/grad_rates/2004/d1/sch...s/RPT00497.html

These are the current NCAA stats for North Texas:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH TEXAS

GRADUATION RATES All Students Student-Athletes #

1997-98 Graduation Rate 39% 57%

Four-Class Average 38% 43%

North Texas - non athletes:

Overall Men: 31%

Overall Women: 43%

Overall: 38%

North Texas = ATHLETES:

Overall Men: 36%

Overall Women: 51%

Overall: 43%

MEN'S BASKETBALL:

11% (7% for transfers - but that does not count towards rankings)

Women's Basketball:

47%

Others:

Football:

44% (55% for transfers - but that does not count towards rankings)

Women's Track:

71% (100% transfer)

Men's Track:

31% (60% transfer)

Men's Other Sports:

25% (88% transfers)

Women's Other Sports:

41% (82% transfers)

These calculations include all students enrolled during the four year period beggining 1997-1998 so I imagine that it goes through 2002-2003 - just about the time that RV talked to us. I don't know if they update this every year or every 4th year but those are the stats on record. As you can see, Men's B-Ball is by far the worst of the bunch and abuot what I stated earlier in the thread.

Yes, those numbers are bad, but like you said, for some reason men's basketball is the lowest almost everywhere. I remember last season SI put graduation rates for teams and Cincy was 0%.

All those numbers you posted should cause concern, and will be interesting to track. But, what you stated earlier in the thread was that we graduated our second player in 6 years last December, and that is simply far from the truth.

But how many of them graduated in the required 5 year time period? Chris didn't. Leonard has had two redshirts and is looking for another so he won't count. Some of those guys are transfers. I was referring to kids graduating that count towards our NCAA stats. I know that stats are messed up but the same system is used for football and all other sports as well as the general student body. Hopefully when the next window is released Men's B-Ball will pull its own weight but we agree on one thing - it is a nationwide problem with college basketball.