Debbie, yes, my dad was laid off from Coke with no notice, after 16 and a half years. It made things very difficult for us for about a year. My first car was my grandmother's 1981 chevy Citation, and there were times when I did not know if it would even start. Pretty much the only reason I could graduate from college is becuase my parents saved money, and then I even had to dip into my inheritance from my grandmother to finish. And, no, Debbie, you did not bash hockey in any way. You simply stated your opinion in regards to professional sports stoppages, lockouts, and strikes. They could apply to any of the pro sports. I was referring to stupid posts like the one made my unt_92_fan. If you want, I would be happy to take to you a Stars game once they start playing. If not, the Texas Tornado or Ft Worth Brhamas is an alternative. Just let me know. Once you've been to a game, you can get hooked very quickely.

Matt, you just hit on something. Hockey is a hard sport to follow, outside of the NHL and local leagues. This kind of makes it exclusive. Once you watch, once you are hooked, you kind of feel drawn into a "fraternity" of sorts. if you get it and you get into it, you will do so with a passion. Hockey is not for everyone, but those who crave the smell of the ice, hockey just gets into your blood. One of the coolest sights is a rink with a fresh coat of ice early in the morning, with a layer of fog just above the sheet.

Man I hope this agreement is true.

well, all the optomism that was present last night is all but dead. The NHL met 6 1/2 hrs this afternoon in NYC, and weren't able to make any progress. Bill Daly is now saying that it is not feasible to play games in the 2004-2005 season, so it's pretty much over. Focus now turns to saving the 2005-2006 season. Aparently the small market teams including Florida and Nashville(two teams that need to be contracted) are holding the deal from happening and are holding out a 30-35 million dollar cap. There is no one putting a gun up to their head saying that they would have to spend 42.5 million if the cap was at that mark.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=115459

Norm had an intersting not ethe other day: It is illegal to use "scabs" in Canada for any labor stoppage/dispute. It is also illegal tu use foreign works in the US to replace locked out/striking US laborers.

Makes using repalcement players real interesting.

I find it real hard to feel sorry for a sport that saw this CNA armegeddon 10 years ago. Everyone has known about it for the last 3. # years; and they couldn't figure it out? NHL owners that over-expanded the sport; and players that want salries like MLB or NFL.

I'm glad I follow amateur sport, like college football or the Olympics. Sports that are clean, and free of these kidns of issues. <_<

They were.

The previous several weren't. I have been out on this whole lockout bit since I read the CNN-Money's (or some other financial rag) examination of the financial state of hockey. Really blew me away. I have tried to find the link again; but couldn't.

I do know this: those folks (owners and players) are gonna really struggle to overtake women's tennis once they resume play.