A look at the Southern matchup

Coach

Southern Jaguars

According to the Sporting News preview, Southern is picked to win the SWAC. The SWAC is the 29th ranked conference, the Sun Belt is 18th.

Their best player appears to be Deon Saunders, a 6-5, 210 senior who averaged 18.4 points and 5.8 rebounds last year shooting 57.9% from the floor. Here is a quote from the Southern coach:

"He (Saunders) has over 20 NBA teams very interested in him," Grant said.

Last year...

Southern beat North Texas 75-58 in Baton Rouge. Calvin Watson had not made his NT debut yet, Leonard Hopkins was still recovering from injury and only had 4 points, Mike Jones had 10 and Justin Barnett 12, though Barnett will not play tonight. Shawnson Johnson had not yet joined the team, and the team only shot 37% from the floor (including 2-15 from three pointers).

Tonight's outlook

Southern will wonder if this is the same team they saw last year. Hopkins will be healthy and in shape, they did not see Calvin Watson last year, and the addition of Hines will cut into the turnover problem from the game last year. The way Barnett played in the second half against UTPA and the success he had against the Jaguars last year, it would be a help if he were able to go tonight, but Williams and Simpson have to pick up the slack.

There could be a 30 swing pretty easily from last year's final score, and that is nothing against Southern. From what I understand they are an improved team that very well make the NCAA tourney (and I hope they do), but this North Texas team does not resemble the one that got blown out in Baton Rouge last year. I believe I heard Coach Johnny Jones' wife is a Southern alum.

Should be a good double-header tonight at the Super Pit, the women play #4 Texas at 6 and the men will follow. If you can make it out tonight, come support two Mean Green teams for the price of one.

This will allow Quincy Williams to get some good minutes and experience. He could end up being a contributor that makes a difference in Sun Belt play if he makes a couple of strides. Perhaps the extended time will allow him to make them. Simpson will get more minutes too, but I am much more excited about Williams in both the short and long term, though because of what we heard about him coming in, Simpson could make a break through and it wouldn't suprise me. The silver lining of his injury is that it builds the depth at center. It gives both Williams and Simpson more time to gell with the team and find their strengths and role on this level, and when Barnett comes back, there are three post players with experience.

Barnett is never going to set the world on fire, but he does have size, and he can make plays using that. I believe he is most effective coming off the bench and bringing energy with a blocked shot or some rebounds. Unfortunately, he has been struggling with injury since day one, and we will never know what he could be like fully healthy.

If there was one game that I would want Barnett, it would be this one. He is coming off the best game in his career against UTPA, and had his second best last year against Southern. The timing of his injury is bad in that aspect, but good in that he will be back for the tournament.

Edited by Coach

Without Barnett, the team will be forced to get deeper. The team will be forced to go quicker and smaller, with a possibility of playing Jones and Harris at the same time. This team will be much faster, not to take anything away from Barnett, but the speed and ability to play a little more agressive on defense may be what this team needs to get to the next level. This should not be a game tonight, and we should be able to dominate tonight. GMG!

I had no idea Southern had a good team. The guys should come out on top though, especially since we're at home. I like the team we have, just wish they were bigger. Small and quick can be an advantage in a lot of games though.

The women will need to play superior defense tonight; stop penetrations, rebound, block out......all the good stuff. We have to stop them before we worry about ourselves. They have a lot of weapons.

GMG!! BEAT UT AND SOUTHERN!