First Game Impressions

GrandGreen

Friday night basketball impressions.

Ladies, lots of depth, should be an improved team. Overall played a very good defensive game but offense continues to lag. Needs to find a consistent offensive threat. Edwards is closest to having an above average offensive game. Mian Williams had maybe her best game. Team misses Medlock as an outside threat. I believe team is better with Bobo at point as it allows team to get best five players on court. Someday, I hope something clicks and Ajekwu will become the great player that she is capable of becoming. New players looked ok but did not stand out. Sanders did do a good job rebounding.

The men’s game even against questionable competition was probably the most entertaining NT games in years. The two fish (Sturns and Williams) maybe the best NT high school recruits in decades. These two could form the foundation of what should become a very good program. Sturns has everything but experience. Williams could develop into a force around the basket. Jones had a great game and if he can continue this level of play, NT may be able to contend for the Belt this year. Hopkins and Watson only had average games by their standards. Isaac Hines was overshadowed by Sturns but played a good smart point guard game; great quickness and will only get better. Everything points to a break out season in men’s basketball.

Atmosphere at the Superpit was excellent for an opener against a Div 2 opponent. The band, dancers, mascot, and yes the cheerleaders were all at the top of the game. They were coordinated and demonstrated a lot of spirit. Go, you will enjoy the experience.

I was at the men's game and was very impressed with our athleticism. If a few things come together this season, I think that we have a definite chance to make some serious noise in the conference tournament at home. We lack a bit of size and experience on the inside, but they're talented and we are deeper and more talented at guard than we have been in years. If Hopkins has a breakout year and Watson lives up to his potential, look out SBC. The crowd was fairly small but enthusiastic. Hope the positive trend there against bigger opponents continues.

At the home opener last year, the announced attendance was 1,000. I guarantee, though, it was more like 300. This is a huge improvement over last year. There actually were 1,800 people in the stands last night, and the atmosphere in the 2nd half was electric.