Band Question?

MeanGreenNation

I know that there are a lot folks who make fun of the "Show Band of the Southwest" for the uniforms they wear, but they are suited to this climate. I asked a fellow longhorn about the Texas 'air conditioned practice field' the other day and I learned something interesting.

It seems that Texans can tolerate the heat less well than we could 50 years ago when most homes and buildings were not air conditioned. I was told that it takes about 3 weeks for the human body to acclimate to the heat. That the reason that Texas has the air conditioned practice field is that they can work harder and longer without health problems because football players aren't acclimated either.

The point to this is that I think it is silly to have wool band uniforms in Texas. They might be nice for one game a year, but I think it is high time to have uniforms that don't put our students at risk.

Hey reb, you have a solid point. Also, what kind of excercise do these band members participate in? Are they even in decent shape?? they complain about sitting in 80 degree weather, but the players are in pads, running, and the temp on field especially on turf is hotter then 80 degrees? maybe you should be in better shape?? just an idea!??????????

Ascchamp, I'm not sure about most of the other players, but marching is what keeps off the yearly 15 for me. Last year I lost 15-20 pounds during marching band (10 pounds coming the first 2 weeks) and this year I've lost around 15-17 pounds again. Besides that, I've got some great thighs and calves thanks to all the fast backwards marching that requires my feet be straight and only be on the front half of my feet (give it a try in your room, you'll feel the burn reeeeeal quick!) As for our arms, they may not be heavy, but holding your horn 10 degrees above parrellel for 6-9 hours a week can give you some great upper body strenght (even if you have a flute... ok maybe not, but them, but trombone yes biggrin.gif ) Just thought I'd give you my weekly work out (it'll be in hard copy in bookstores soon!)

that is cool, i understand. but i am not questioning the amounto weight that you lose? but, is it the same for everybody? no! so, and some people tend to be bigger and smaller and there eating habits all figure into someones health and there ability to withstand hot temperatures!! i know it isn't easy, but are there things that can be done that aren't? I want to know! not familiar with this!

We do get water and Powerade after pregame (if we are at home) and after halftime. But sometimes that is not enough. If the majority of the people are too hot in the uniforms, then we all take off the jackets to look more uniformed in the stands. Sure the thinner the person, the more heat they are likely to withstand. But like most everything else, the majority wins out. I noticed earlier someone mentioned that the football players are conditioned and in shape. While I agree this is true, don't think that they don't get hot. But they have those powerful fan cooler things. The band does not. I agree there are some in the band (myself included) are not in the most athletic shape, but you can't solely blame us getting hot to that.

I hope this answers your questions.

I think it is only fair to point out here that a band member should not be judged by the kind of 'shape' they are in. Frankly I don't think that being in shape has much bearing on heat stroke. Certainly to judge from the athletes who have had problems, hydration is a bigger issue than condition. For me the measure of a band member is the music.

I love to watch the bands march, I admire the skill it takes to play while following a complex marching pattern, but I've seen Formal Retreat at the Marine Barracks at 8th and I. Marching doesn't get any better, but the music does. The only group of people I know that spend as much time in practice as athletes are musicans. I enjoy the efforts of both, and I don't want to see any band member injured because fashion or tradition says they should wear wool outfits.

Hey reb, i never said that a band member should be judged by the shape that they are in. However hydration isn't the only thing that factors into heat stroke. A Largly obeese person isn't going to be able to handle heat, as a person who is only 150 pounds, in shape or not! I mean look at all sorts of events and show me a event that a over weight person or should i say an unfit person has more of an advantage then a thin in shape fit person! i know that it shouldn't matter, but my question is that since it probably is never questioned, would it make any difference?? if they in no way at all are they effected then hey every one should just shut up including be. Can it hurt? will it help? that is my question. It has nothing to do with ability to perform. I am sure they are good at it, if not they wouldn't be doing it.

I don't think it is fair or right to have people say that the band should never take off our jackets because it does not look uniformed. Until you have worn a band uniform in TEXAS, then you do not have the right or knowledge to tell the band to not take off the uniform jacket. I do respect people's opinions, but alot of people have never been in band and never worn the uniforms. Until you do, you can't say that just because some of the band people are not in the best shape, that the band doesn't need to take off the jackets.

This thread is becoming ridiculous. Attacking the band for trying to take care of their health is crazy!! And I am not trying to attack anyone or anyone's opinion, but I think that we have bigger fish to fry than whether or not the band is in their jackets. (i.e. we have Cody and Scott's injuries, the FOOTBALL team, etc)

We come to the games, we are loud, and we kick butt at halftime. And these are the important things to remember about the band. Cause in 10 years you won't remember if we took our jackets off, you'll just remember how good the band sounded!!!

On those words, Go Mean Green!!

Tame the Wildcats!!

There will be people in the stands. Or am I giving the people on this board too much credit for going to games despite the fact the team may not be doing so well? And my point was not whether there were people in the stands, it dealt with us taking our jackets and people having problems with that.

But you are right. If the team doesn't win, there won't be a lot of people in the stands. The band and people on this board can only do so much to get butts in seats. The team has to do the rest.

Keep believing the Mean Green and the Green Brigade.

Beat 'Zona!!!!!