Is UNT Changing Their Scheduling Philosophy?

5 hours ago, greenminer said:

@keith did we make the call? I thought Wisconsin backed out.

I suppose you're right.  I don't remember reading anything about getting any buyout money.

I thought he was making a joke about us beating them in the NIT this year.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Okay, it’s still a G5 program. And Houston was just an example. The point is, I’d rather stay at 6 home games and schedule H/Hs with known programs than buy 7th home games with FCS opponents. 

While Army isn't a football power anymore, they are not really the same as a G5 program. Army does not reside in the AAC, MWC, MAC, C-USA, or Sun Belt. Army also isn't subjected to being selected by one of the ESPN bargain bowls. They have a tie to the Independence, Armed Forces, & Military bowls, which generally feature P5 opponents. Plus, all of Army's games are nationally televised. Army's situation is just very different from teams in G5 conferences. 

As for the 6 versus 7 game home schedule... we just disagree. I think the 7 home game schedule provides UNT with the best opportunity to post more wins and earn a better AAC bowl game. 

Edited by Side.Show.Joe
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Tommy Gadberry said:

Heck it wouldn’t shock me to see Army join the AAC by then.  They seem to want to be back in a conference again.

Yeah, I don't think it will take too many seasons under the new 12-team playoff structure before Army makes the call to join a conference, especially with the triple option being regulated out by the NCAA. And the AAC makes the most sense for them. It will be a win/win for both. 

14 hours ago, NT80 said:

Add Air Force too.   All 3 in the AAC = good attendance and good media.

San Diego State will be in the PAC at some point. If the PAC decides they want Vegas and adds UNLV too, then the MWC's media deal is in real danger of being significantly reduced. At that point, I would not be too surprised to see Air force, Colorado State, and/or Boise looking to escape the MWC. These are strange times.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Texas Stranger said:

The more pressing scheduling need is the missing home OOC for next year.  We still need one, or we're looking at a 5 home game season which we all know is simply unacceptable.

It could be worse, Middle Tennessee has 3 OOC away games scheduled for 2024 and zero home games. UTEP also has 3 OOC away games scheduled for 2024. That sucks. 

If I had to guess, I think we pick up a home & home series with New Mexico. In Denton in 2024 & at New Mexico in 2025. 

They lost their home & home with NMSU, since the Aggies are joining C-USA and had to purge their schedules.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1